Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Ford New Holland 8340 SLE help thread

Adsy

Re: Ford New Holland 8340 SLE help thread

agrimax
    Don't forget it's a smaller capacity engine to the 82/8340.
    The adjusting screw is on the back of the pump against the block and is a pig to get at.I cut the fuel back a bit on my 8240 when I took the turbo off but it is difficult to count the no. of turns and easy to loose the initial setting.Slackened the pump slightly and turned it round a bit but screw was still awkward to get at.Think the lock nut was more the problem.
    Screw in for more fuel IIRC.
    You were right about it being a pig to get at
    Managed to get at it, think I should have been a gynaecologist:lolk:
    Just need to give it a good test, went just short of 1 complete turn inwards.
    Sounds abit sharper, we will see.
    Watch this space

tiptop

that wont make alot of diff, we used to turn 78 & 83 in 3 turns plus to notice any diff, then i think alot of it was in the mind, all you get is black smoke so its not got the air to burn it correct, i remember a mate of maine jamed his right in and still dind pull that much better, now if you were talking about a tm 150 now thats differen, crank than in much easyer to get to and she will pull, had an 8360 dyno and it was putting out 190 at the pto and would pull the house down but if you let the revs die and then boot it it was just one full pipe of black till it got the revs back up agian, they were the days

Rme639

My 8340 was fitted with a light bulb on to the alternator, 2 get it 2 charge inhave 2 connect up a wire so bulb comes on and bat lght on dash lghts up. How do i do away with this bulb and get tractor to charge normally?

Johnny NF

Looking for some help with my Ford 8240. Each time I switch it off and leave it for more than an hour I get an E24 message and have to recalibrate the clutces / gearbox. Once its done it works perfectly...a bit dull having to re-calibrate each time I use it...glad for some advice.

FrTed

Quote Originally Posted by agrimax View Post
    Sounds like a linkage adjustment problem somewhere.Also just wondering if the lift arms (the ones that slide onto the cross shaft) have at some time been removed and refitted onto the wrong spline? Could be on a master spline and only go on one place--don't know.Maybe Prongy will shed more light on the matter now we know you don't have the electrolink system.
    Prongy, see you're online. What do you think - see my post on 11th April at 22.12. Thanks for any advice.

prongy

Quote Originally Posted by FrTed View Post
    Prongy, see you're online. What do you think - see my post on 11th April at 22.12. Thanks for any advice.
    Hello Fr Ted

Would suspect a setting fault in the top cover. Do the linkage arms ever 'jerk' wether with a load, or with nothing on.

Draft lever should only be moved when position control lever is in fully lowered position. 3 OR 4 clicks forward should give maximum lift.

If by either shortening the lift rods a touch, or by moving the draft control lever, means you can operate the hitch with no real problem to you, then it may be something you can 'live' with.
    A full fix may require top cover removel, and for a complete reset of internal linkages. Special tools required so dealer job, or someone who has access to said tools.

Rme639

The puh on my 8340 is very worn on its linkeges etc, dose anyone know where i could either buy a used one or is it poss to buy a kit to refurbish it? I had a tw that had been fitted with a hydraulic push bak dromone hitch.is this a poss on 8340?

Adsy

Mark Robinson tractors in burnley sells a refurb kit.
    Link is here. http://www.mjrobinsontractors.co.uk/...t.php?id=12794
    Good guy to deal with, and breaks alot of 40 series tractors too.
    Adsy.

Rme639

Had a look but didnt see any, just the latches. Was looking for the arms that swing the hitch and pins. We did get a guy to make new ones on our old case maxums , but he,s no longer in bussines.

Nearly

I'm going to be looking in here more often now. Couple of minor issues to sort on new toy.

nashmach

Quote Originally Posted by Nearly View Post
    I'm going to be looking in here more often now. Couple of minor issues to sort on new toy.

Looks well there - all newly resprayed?

Nearly

Quote Originally Posted by nashmach View Post
    Looks well there - all newly resprayed?
    Looks well from a distance . Wrong weights, needs tyres but has power and comfort.
    Just to bolt the loader onto it and really spoil it.

doehill

Looks well from a distance . Wrong weights, needs tyres but has power and comfort.

What is wrong with the weights

Nearly

they say ford on them not new holland, perhaps I'm getting too fussy.

bob k

I'll have the front ones,

fermerboy

That is a thing of beauty!
    Always wanted a nice late model 8340, still do!

john8210

where did you find that machine ?

Nearly

Bob Coar's

Dod

Evening all

My Pre Quad Mod 8240 SLE wont go into 5-8. It goes from 1-4 to neutral then jams.

Had the top cover off and its not a linkage problem its jamming somewhere in the gear box

Thanks

BTW nice looking 83 nearly

john8210

Bob Coar's
    be ok if its from bob, he is a straight enough bloke, very knowledgable on 40 series. thought for a minute it may have come from a more south westerly direction they like painting , but not much else i believe :cry:

Dod

Quote Originally Posted by Dod View Post
    Evening all

My Pre Quad Mod 8240 SLE wont go into 5-8. It goes from 1-4 to neutral then jams.

Had the top cover off and its not a linkage problem its jamming somewhere in the gear box

Thanks
    Any Ideas???

prongy

Quote Originally Posted by Dod View Post
    Any Ideas???
    Sounds like the 4th 5th synchro has gone.

Dod

Quote Originally Posted by prongy View Post
    Sounds like the 4th 5th synchro has gone.
    that does not sound good!!!

rob fforest

Old 7840 has thrown up a new 1. Lights for 5-8 wont light up on gear display or in the dash. Also when i shift from 4 to 5 it goes to 8 (still no light on displays). Then when she feels like it the display will light up and shift her back to 5th even if youre doing 45k down the road Works fine then till its dropped back to 1-4, then back to 5-8 its same story again.

Prongy??????

Any ideas??????

prongy

Quote Originally Posted by rob fforest View Post
    Old 7840 has thrown up a new 1. Lights for 5-8 wont light up on gear display or in the dash. Also when i shift from 4 to 5 it goes to 8 (still no light on displays). Then when she feels like it the display will light up and shift her back to 5th even if youre doing 45k down the road Works fine then till its dropped back to 1-4, then back to 5-8 its same story again.

Prongy??????

Any ideas??????
    Sounds like the status switches on right hand side of the transmission are going. Dealer should still be stocking those.

rob fforest

As she is j reg n pre quad, are these external? Or internal with solenoids?

Rassiel

Quote Originally Posted by rob fforest View Post
    As she is j reg n pre quad, are these external? Or internal with solenoids?
    I think he is refering to the switches that are bolted on top of the gearbox where the F/R and 4/5th linkages are located. They are accesible from the cab floor.

Nearly

Which is the wire next to the fuse box to insert switch into to turn off 4wd braking? I seem to remember 'purple'

essexpete

Which is the wire next to the fuse box to insert switch into to turn off 4wd braking? I seem to remember 'purple'
    I have done on ours but I cannot remember. I think I broke into one of the wires to one of the brake switches.

fermerboy

If you reach round the front(windscreen) side of the fusebox and look for the bit of loom with the big square diagnostic plug on it. Follow it back a bit(only a couple of inches) and you should come on two wires with spade connectors hanging loose or taped to the loom, connect these together and thats it sorted. They are the only single wires there, and they are fitted with male and female connectors so meant to be!!
    Stick them through a switch on the dash and its an easy change depending on the work its doing.

Seem to think that its purple too.