Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Ford New Holland 8340 SLE help thread

Re: Ford New Holland 8340 SLE help thread

Did you start it after filling with oil to refill the filters and then redip? Were the lift arms up or down when you drained it? Up and the internal lift cylinder and the assistor rams would still be full of old oil.Maybe surprising what the filters and rams would hold along with the residual left in the trumpets and gearbox.It would hold 60l from dry to full on the stick.Used to get three drums into my old 40 series.

Haven't started it yet. Just put in 2 drums and pulled the dip stick and showed half up the mark. Haven't got back to it again but don't think the lift rams and the filters will hold 20 litres. They arm fully down. I'm just worried I haven't drained her right and now poured in good oil on the old stuff. Not that the old stuff was all that bad but it'll be nagging in the back of my head that she didn't get a good service.
    "At the end of the day, I think it's going to get very dark."

Quote Originally Posted by Quattromike View Post
    Haven't started it yet. Just put in 2 drums and pulled the dip stick and showed half up the mark. Haven't got back to it again but don't think the lift rams and the filters will hold 20 litres. They arm fully down. I'm just worried I haven't drained her right and now poured in good oil on the old stuff. Not that the old stuff was all that bad but it'll be nagging in the back of my head that she didn't get a good service.
    A lot of stuff has fill capacities based on a dry fill, ie factory fill or after its been totally apart and everything is drained. its always annoying when you see drain/sump plugs that are obviously never going to drain the last bit out where you know there will be all the stuff that has collected.

If its any consolation, I be what you have done is more than many get
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

Hi, does anybody know the wiring pins to access the diagnostic menu on the 40series?
    Do not condemn me for the things I have done wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by 40serieslover View Post
    Hi, does anybody know the wiring pins to access the diagnostic menu on the 40series?
    There is a floating plug adjacent to the fuse and relay box. I have not done it myself, but you need an on/off switch to access the codes. You do need to proceed with care armed with the codes. I understand that it possible to cause problems that may require main dealer assistance. I think agrimax will know more.

I purposely didn't go there,when I had mine,for that reason Pete.Transmission problems cost me enough over 7 years without having to get a dealer involved!! Think it was the especially the H8 menu that you had to be careful off!
    Just reading from another forum posting from some time ago which suggests the two wires nearest the centre of the diagnostics plug are the ones required. It goes on to says there's a small rectangular locating pin in the centre.If you turn the plug so that the rectangle is on it's side,it's the wires/pins top and bottom of the rectangle. Hope that makes sense..........!

Hello all, just joined the forum today but been a lurker for awhile. I'm from Saskatchewan Canada, we have a 1996 5640 Powerstar SLE and the power shift has been giving us grief. There aren't a lot of these tractors around here so at the dealer level not much help. For quite some time if the tractor sits awhile when you fire it up it requires C3-C4 clutch calibration as it flashes a code and clutch pedal had to be let out right to the end resulting in a very harsh engagement.
    We use this tractor at harvest on a PTO auger and as you can imagine its very unsafe when moving from bin to bin. Not to mention the inconvenience of having to go through all the calibration steps at a very busy time of year. It rarely fails to calibrate the first time every time it just takes time to do.
    I've skimmed through nearly every post in this thread but none seem to have this exact symptom. I know there is a wealth of knowledge of these tractors on this forum so going into our busy time of year hoping someone can shed some light.
    Thanks in advance from a Canadian farmer!

Just bringing this back to light of day. Harvest here in western Canada has been on hold for a couple weeks due to continual rains.
    Been checking to see if anyone had replied, surprised nobody has any ideas.
    Inevitably going to need the old girl soon, not looking forward to switching out bins with it.....
    Anybody?????

I am afraid that although a user I am no expert. I do wonder if you have one of the electrical components faulty. Have you been able to carry out the more complicated calibration with the switch plugged into lower dash?

Any chance you are getting E32 code displayed on the dash? This is ''keep alive memory failure''. Sounds like it's not retaining the clutch calibration memory. There's supposedly a lithium type battery in the ECU for the Kam, but nobody seems to be able to confirm this. It may be that the memory is stored in a chip and perhaps it's at fault but you'd normally have that E32 code. Worth checking fuse no.20 which is third down from top left in the fuse box. Kam fuse. Other than that, possibly depending on age, there should be a large round multi-plug above the battery or thereabouts. Unplug it, clean the pins with contact cleaner and reattach and see if it helps. Any other transmission connectors too..... Unplug, spray and reattach.