Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Ford New Holland 8340 SLE help thread

Re: Ford New Holland 8340 SLE help thread

1- thanks for the help
    2- just to update you I got it fully calibrated and the crunch was reduced but still apparent so we agreed (friend calibrated it for me) agreed that the syncro was worn
    3- he also showed me how to get it to go into calibration (basic) clutch down ,both power shift buttons held down simultaneously, turn key with other hand and release buttons and clutch when cal comes on then follow instructions on first page of this thread.

Sorry to hear that dexta man . Fortunately the 4-5th gear synchro comes from the front of the box if im not wrong, so is not the worst of the synchros to repair on that tractor.
    Someone adviced in this forum to change all the seals and orings in the front of the gearbox (bellhousing) while you are there.

i think hes talking about these and there are plenty of top hat seal as well, if you spit it make sure to get a new j pipe and new damper plate while your in there.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Evening all few 8340 issues if anyone has any experience of either would be much appreciated first one is a 98 blue roof the auxillary power socket below the back window is dead for some reason have checked fuses and switch to no avail possibly a relay but iv swapped all relays from another 83 that working perfect??? the other problem is on a 92 whiteroof when calibrating it wont go to the FIL section it brings up u25 which according to the manual means range lever not in neutral ive no idea why perhaps a switch or some any help much appreciated.

Thanks for the help and advice, due to silage she'll be left until winter, for now to stop wearin/damaging it any further and as I only pull about 3-4 ton max behind , it isn't a problem to start off in 5th. Thinking now it might be a good idea to replace the other syncros while I'm in there as they can't be far behind (from all the twigs and trash that was blocking the rad it must have been doing quite a bit of hedge cutting so the f/r must have been abused as well on the hedge cutter). Looking at the bright side I needed to replace the crank seal anyway before painting it.

so you will want it to look a bit like this when finshed then, i know yours is a blue roof, had a new set of tyres put on it after she was done up so it really makes it look the part. should do it took over 6 weeks to complete not inc splitting her either,

One word NICE

My budget won't stretch to new tyres but hopefully it can when looking for a air con kit and 3rd and 4th service valves off a salvage tractor

Quote Originally Posted by ford 7840 View Post
    so you will want it to look a bit like this when finshed then, i know yours is a blue roof, had a new set of tyres put on it after she was done up so it really makes it look the part. should do it took over 6 weeks to complete not inc splitting her either,
    How did you fit the mirrors, better than the cr*p door mounted ones wide enough for a fergie trailer.

Just saw a 8340 with 580/70/38 and 480/70/28 tyres, it looked real fierce . I know what I'm buying when the ones on mine go bald

Quote Originally Posted by essexpete View Post
    How did you fit the mirrors, better than the cr*p door mounted ones wide enough for a fergie trailer.
    Ford 7840- did you just cut the mirror off of a younger tractor and weld it to the frame or cut it off, weld it to a drilled plate and then bolt that onto the frame?

Been tinkering with the 7840 today which includes changing the broken mirror (bought as) and it turns out the mirrors arm sleeve/tube has threaded holes and is bolted through a drilled plate welded onto the handle/tube supporting indicators, lights and mirrors. Sorry if my previous post confused anybody.

Quote Originally Posted by Rassiel View Post
    Being a '98 model, it would have the later type Borletti analog/digital dash. If im not wrong, (at least on SLE models), that dash would display ground and pto speeds.
    On SLE models there is no difference in the computers despite having digital or analog/digital dash (or at least they have the same part number). AFAIK the only difference is the harness behind the dash (i think its called extension harness). All the rest of the loom is the same. The one i got ('95 SLE with VDO analog/digital dash) even its got the plugs for radar, engine and trans pressure etc, sensors used in the full digital dash.
    You dont need the radar for measuring ground speed (its for the slip control), and there is no such pto speed sensor, the dash just calculates the speed of the pto comparing the engine rpms.
    Got myself a manual and I saw this (see poorly edited picture ) , does this mean that the only extended part of the harness is the gearbox harness and the connectors for the digital dash are most likely present and connected up ready for all cabed models (I need to fold the dash forward and have a look as well anyway)?

Would be grateful for some advice. 1995 6640 SLE problem. Has started to get very jerky when releasing clutch to move off and if clutch is let up slow to try prevent jerk, doesn't move at all. But increasing revs and she takes off OK. Thanks for any help as to what I should look for.

Sorry to cut across the thread, but FrTed's location (Norn Iron) resonates with me in Straya

JV

Quote Originally Posted by Dexta man View Post
    Got myself a manual and I saw this (see poorly edited picture ) , does this mean that the only extended part of the harness is the gearbox harness and the connectors for the digital dash are most likely present and connected up ready for all cabed models (I need to fold the dash forward and have a look as well anyway)?
    Not sure on that late NH branded models, i had the same workshop manual as you, and was only for Ford branded models. Later Nh branded models have different dash plugs tham the older models, they got slightly different harness, but im not sure where are the differences.

Quote Originally Posted by FrTed View Post
    Would be grateful for some advice. 1995 6640 SLE problem. Has started to get very jerky when releasing clutch to move off and if clutch is let up slow to try prevent jerk, doesn't move at all. But increasing revs and she takes off OK. Thanks for any help as to what I should look for.
    Ha ve you calibrated the clutch packs? Is it the same in all 4 gears?

Been flat out using the 7840 so haven't got a chance to check yet. The problem is that the back end has been running hot , oil cooler was always packing up while bailing hay so fair enough, but after muck spreading I took the shaft off (muck spreader) and it was like handling a cup of tea (quite warm) and when I pressure washed it between the top link and pto it actually hissed and steamed up the back window but the oil cooler is clean and there was no dust+ it's only a mk1 150 Howard so should be less strain than the bailer.

Hi Dexta, have a look at the oil lines going into the oil cooler, right side of the engine, one of the two should be hot. There is a thermostatic bypass valve behind the battery box, if it fails wont send the oil into the oil cooler.

Ahh Must be because I could handle the cooler every time to clear it (quite cool) when you could feel the heat off the back end while bailing.
    Thanks I'll see if i can give her a workout to check the lines

While I remember what does E15 mean (can't find it in the manual)

Dexta im pretty sure E15 its on the manual. I dont have any manual around right now but i have seen that E15 on one of the tractors of the farm where i work. If im not wrong E15 is both Low and High range switches activated at the same time. Nothing major, i supose just dirt in one of the switches. Check the dashboard while shifting from a range to Neutral, if the screen doesnt show Neutral while in Neutral range, thats the the wrong switch.
    About the oil cooler, i have read from the experts on this forum, fix it before you cook all the orings in the backend.

Sorry for being late but I had a look and found out i could only get one from New Holland ( I'm guessing) , so I decided to check the lines after using it for a light job to see if it was the problem and well it's been idle since i first raised the problem until moving a calf feeder today. I took her on a short road trip as well after to make sure it was at working temp and tried the lines and it was working (one line from oil cooler cold and the other warm). Only guess i have is all the hard bits of debris (polite word for it ) I've been blowing out of the cooler could be the attempt of the former owner to clean it using a pressure washer casing the dust to hardened and insulating the cooler. Would taking it out and brushing some paraffin into the fins to dissolve the hardened dust to the point of being able to pressure wash it help the problem or is it something to do with the back end? What i mean is that it was working quite well today (you could feel a real difference in the two pipes), would getting it spotless make that much of a difference from how hot the back end was before?

Hi, could anyone point me in the right direction. 7840 SLE that has started to behave like it is stuggling to lift on the linkage, even when it just has a 6ft topper on. It gets worse as the oil warms up. But there is still plenty of hydraulic power through the spool valves. It has 3 new hydraulic filters fitted.

hi there, ive a 98 7840 turbo with just over 6000 hrs done a reasonable amount of pto work trailed harvester and mower being the heaviest work, but just there the pto now will not stop turning even when 540/1000 leaver knocked into neutral? any ideas?

Gonna fit a front linkage to my 7740, i've sourced a second hand Wilson front links from same model tractor so should fit straight on. mine however only has 2 spools on it and was wandering if anyone has an idea for a third service to operate the linkage and possibly a forth service to the front without using up all the spools at the back end? can I plumb in an additional spool valve somewhere that could work independent of the rear services or is it easier to try and source a second hand 3rd and 4th service from another tractor?
    "At the end of the day, I think it's going to get very dark."

Quote Originally Posted by Quattromike View Post
    Gonna fit a front linkage to my 7740, i've sourced a second hand Wilson front links from same model tractor so should fit straight on. mine however only has 2 spools on it and was wandering if anyone has an idea for a third service to operate the linkage and possibly a forth service to the front without using up all the spools at the back end? can I plumb in an additional spool valve somewhere that could work independent of the rear services or is it easier to try and source a second hand 3rd and 4th service from another tractor?
    You could fit a valve block/joystick control from a loader. We had one fitted to a 7840 many years ago for buckraking.. can't remember were it was plumbed into, but it didnt tie any spools up on the backend.
    sure someone on hear will put u right

That's the kind or thing I was thinking but the plumbing bit is the problem. don't know where to start or what to watch out for.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkoTM155 View Post
    You could fit a valve block/joystick control from a loader. We had one fitted to a 7840 many years ago for buckraking.. can't remember were it was plumbed into, but it didnt tie any spools up on the backend.
    sure someone on hear will put u right
    Was thinking of the same idea if I did find a cheap kit
    All my tractors are treated like dog's.......the pedigree show variety

Is this the kinda thing I should be looking for?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-HOLLAN...-/300610283542

Quote Originally Posted by Quattromike View Post
    Is this the kinda thing I should be looking for?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-HOLLAN...-/300610283542

That would only work for a Dual Power model with open centre pump.

I have a 8240 with CCLS pump. I bought a loader valve block of ebay recently. Looked along time to get one with a port for the load sensing line.

Hoping to plumb it in to work the front lift and front service

Hello, does anyone know what error code 18 is all about? something to do with the rear linkage?, seems to work O.K. but light blinking and external controls not working. Ho hum. TIA.