Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast
Results 331 to 360 of 396

Thread: Ford New Holland 8340 SLE help thread

  1. #331
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Co Down
    Posts
    374

    Re: Ford New Holland 8340 SLE help thread

    It means both load sensing pins disconnected. Probably a broken,loose or corroded wire somewhere!

  2. #332
    Senior Member Dexta man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    249

    Re: Ford New Holland 8340 SLE help thread

    Quote Originally Posted by dod View Post
    That would only work for a Dual Power model with open centre pump.

    I have a 8240 with CCLS pump. I bought a loader valve block of ebay recently. Looked along time to get one with a port for the load sensing line.

    Hoping to plumb it in to work the front lift and front service
    What about buying loader brackets with the valve on it and the rear axle braces , you could bolt that to the front links and hey presto a strengthening chassis/brace running the whole length of the tractor , might not be necessary but she won't break in half soon
    All my tractors are treated like dog's.......the pedigree show variety

  3. #333
    Senior Member Quattromike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Moray
    Posts
    454

    Re: Ford New Holland 8340 SLE help thread

    Was looking at the pipework on the existing services and there seems to be a feed and return pipe and each has a blanked off fitting welded into the pipe. I'm thinking in a previous life it maybe had a loader fitted and the supply and return came from there. The question is what type of valve do I need to get to get it to work from these two points. I'm thinking it must be a closed centre system before it would work like this and so need to get a closed centre valve bank with two slices and possibly 12V dc solenoids to operated them and couple spring centre rocker switches. I know it's doesn't give precise control with solenoids but would be simple system to fit. Would this work or is cable system recommended ?
    "At the end of the day, I think it's going to get very dark."

  4. #334
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    5

    Re: Ford New Holland 8340 SLE help thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Quattromike View Post
    Was looking at the pipework on the existing services and there seems to be a feed and return pipe and each has a blanked off fitting welded into the pipe. I'm thinking in a previous life it maybe had a loader fitted and the supply and return came from there. The question is what type of valve do I need to get to get it to work from these two points. I'm thinking it must be a closed centre system before it would work like this and so need to get a closed centre valve bank with two slices and possibly 12V dc solenoids to operated them and couple spring centre rocker switches. I know it's doesn't give precise control with solenoids but would be simple system to fit. Would this work or is cable system recommended ?
    That blanked off fitting is standard. If you had an extra 2 spools they get plumbed into there.

    You will also need to tee in the load sensing line which is a pipe about 15mm in diameter. You will see it going into the back of your current spools

  5. #335
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    west wales
    Posts
    414

    Re: Ford New Holland 8340 SLE help thread

    Quote Originally Posted by agrimax View Post
    It means both load sensing pins disconnected. Probably a broken,loose or corroded wire somewhere!
    Thanks for that, will investigate further.

  6. #336
    Senior Member Quattromike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Moray
    Posts
    454

    Re: Ford New Holland 8340 SLE help thread

    The front linkage has arrived and already has a solenoid valve on it to switch between raise/lower of linkage and hydraulic service so only need to supply one feed and return to the valve at the front, the issue now will be i need a switch that fits on the hydraulic lever to press when pulling the handle. Does anyone know of one that is easy to fit or do I just have to hodge one up from the rs catalogue.
    "At the end of the day, I think it's going to get very dark."

  7. #337
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Lincolnshire
    Posts
    70

    Re: Ford New Holland 8340 SLE help thread

    I have a 7740. The battery warning light is flashing on(about half full brightness) and off once every second.
    The alternator seems to charging Ok at all revs at a steady 14.4 V on my multimeter.

    The battery warning light is on at full brightness when the ignition switch is on before starting the engine, as you would expect.

    I changed the brushes in the alternator and blew all the dust out and checked the connections at the alternator but the problem persists.

    Any ideas as to why this indicator light flashes (dimly) would be most appreciated. I don't want to end up changing the alternator and find the light is still going on and off.

  8. #338
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    6

    Re: Ford New Holland 8340 SLE help thread

    1997 Blue top NH 7840 SLE
    Having a bit of trouble with an old workhorse..

    1. PTO trouble
    Have trouble to reengage pto? We run the tractor from cold, for many hours (5-6-7) baling aso then if we turn off the pto it will not reengage..?? Have to stand still idling a long while before it will reengage..
    Same trouble when carting manure with the tank. Have a bit of roadtravel downhill 2,5km and as I am to empty the tank in the field the pto doesn't start... Had to stand still for quite some time before it is willing to start. Very confusing!


    2. Gearbox locked in 3rd and 7th gear. Light that show numbers has gone black.
    Shows Error E46.
    Fuse 12 gone and replaced.
    Worked fine a little while then same problem again..
    Prior to this it was little oil on the rear - oil only touching the pin, and ran the tractor on steep hills.
    Filled up with more oil. Problem did not go away...
    Where to start - and what might be wrong? Clutchpack..?

  9. #339
    Senior Member Quattromike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Moray
    Posts
    454

    Re: Ford New Holland 8340 SLE help thread

    Does anyone know if the bolts in the front tombstone are M20 or 3/4UNC? I would have thought it'd be metric but I've been wrong before .
    "At the end of the day, I think it's going to get very dark."

  10. #340
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Co Down
    Posts
    374

    Re: Ford New Holland 8340 SLE help thread

    They're 3/4 unc.

  11. #341
    Senior Member Quattromike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Moray
    Posts
    454

    Re: Ford New Holland 8340 SLE help thread

    Quote Originally Posted by agrimax View Post
    They're 3/4 unc.
    Thanking you
    "At the end of the day, I think it's going to get very dark."

  12. #342
    Senior Member Dexta man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    249

    Re: Ford New Holland 8340 SLE help thread

    oh ie i haven't updated you on the overheating backend, well in frustration at the start of this summer i took a pressure washer to it until only clean water came out of every inch and to my delight its been running a lot cooler even under strain all day , so turned out to be dirt in the middle that the air line couldn't blow out which was enough to insulate the cooler fins keeping the heat in .
    All my tractors are treated like dog's.......the pedigree show variety

  13. #343
    Senior Member Footsfitter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Basingstoke, Hants
    Posts
    2,404

    Re: Ford New Holland 8340 SLE help thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Dexta man View Post
    oh ie i haven't updated you on the overheating backend, well in frustration at the start of this summer i took a pressure washer to it until only clean water came out of every inch and to my delight its been running a lot cooler even under strain all day , so turned out to be dirt in the middle that the air line couldn't blow out which was enough to insulate the cooler fins keeping the heat in .
    That was a good outcome then. Usually there is a build up in all 4 corners and the centre as all these are "dead" areas where there isn't direct airflow from the fan, hence them clogging up. If you add up the surface area its got to be 25-30% of the rads available cooling area hence how it makes engines run hotter.

  14. #344
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    162

    Re: Ford New Holland 8340 SLE help thread

    Hi, I've been digging at my 8340 to try and find out why diff lock doesn't work. Can anyone shed any light on the fact the switch doesn't have a live feed, should it? 4 terminal switch, 3 female terminals in block connector. I can't get the diff light on the dash to come on, I swapped bulb 6 months ago when I was last on with it, but more determined to get to the bottom of it now.

    Also there's a 2 terminal multiplug in the wiring loom below the diff switch, it has a friend to which it isn't connected, can't find a live in there and plugging them together makes no difference to anything that I've tested. Wire colours are yellow and yellow with an orange stripe.

    Best find my glasses and get the books out but thought I'd ask on here,

    Thanks
    N

  15. #345
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Bucks
    Posts
    77

    Re: Ford New Holland 8340 SLE help thread

    Quote Originally Posted by moffett View Post
    Hi, I've been digging at my 8340 to try and find out why diff lock doesn't work. Can anyone shed any light on the fact the switch doesn't have a live feed, should it? 4 terminal switch, 3 female terminals in block connector. I can't get the diff light on the dash to come on, I swapped bulb 6 months ago when I was last on with it, but more determined to get to the bottom of it now.

    Also there's a 2 terminal multiplug in the wiring loom below the diff switch, it has a friend to which it isn't connected, can't find a live in there and plugging them together makes no difference to anything that I've tested. Wire colours are yellow and yellow with an orange stripe.

    Best find my glasses and get the books out but thought I'd ask on here,

    Thanks
    N
    Hi, i dont have wiring diagrams with me but the diff lock is fed through the diff lock relay wich is located in the fusebox. From the diff lock solenoid (in front of the right rear trumped) you got 2 wires that feed the bulb in the dashboard. Happened to me that those 2 wires for the bulb got damaged right at the solenoid beyond repair, so i just wired the light into the switch itself, irc taking the live feed from the wires of the switch.
    So check that diff lock isnt engaging (just tdrive on a slippy surface and turn the wheels to see if you go straight) and if not chec relay and fuse (if any).

  16. #346
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    west wales
    Posts
    414

    Re: Ford New Holland 8340 SLE help thread

    Thinking of fitting battery isolators to all the tractors/forklifts. However the 7840 is awash with complicated electrics.Will anything come to any harm if battery is isolated for extended periods? Not worried about the radio, as it doesn't work anyway. TIA.

  17. #347
    Senior Member ford 7840's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    307

    Re: Ford New Holland 8340 SLE help thread

    hi i just take the battery live lead off in the winter months when its not being used and i've never found an problems and some times its off for 3 months, only down side for me is radio has lost it stored channels but that no big job, at least when the lead is put back on again she starts right up as they do drain the battery if left any length of time,

  18. #348
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    west wales
    Posts
    414

    Re: Ford New Holland 8340 SLE help thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ford 7840 View Post
    hi i just take the battery live lead off in the winter months when its not being used and i've never found an problems and some times its off for 3 months, only down side for me is radio has lost it stored channels but that no big job, at least when the lead is put back on again she starts right up as they do drain the battery if left any length of time,
    OK, thanks for that, Tim.

  19. #349
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    307 miles from Walter P
    Posts
    446

    Re: Ford New Holland 8340 SLE help thread

    The early ones used to need recalibrating when you disconnected the battery
    Reach for the sky, climb every mountain higher.

  20. #350
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    west wales
    Posts
    414

    Re: Ford New Holland 8340 SLE help thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Predial View Post
    The early ones used to need recalibrating when you disconnected the battery
    Hmmm, that's the sort of thing I was afraid of. Mines a blue roof 1996 model, so should be OK ?

  21. #351
    Senior Member ford 7840's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    307

    Re: Ford New Holland 8340 SLE help thread

    well my 1995 never needs reclibrating after its been stood with the leads off for weeks on end some times even months so perhaps the memory has a battery inside it to keep it as it should be im not sure

  22. #352
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    961

    Re: Ford New Holland 8340 SLE help thread

    Maybe instead of disconnecting the battery, try a 12v solar trickle charger, leave it in the window facing the sun over the winter.... works on an old MB Trac of mine really well.... was about a tenner from Maplins

  23. #353
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    west wales
    Posts
    414

    Re: Ford New Holland 8340 SLE help thread

    Not too worried about the battery, can charge that up now and again through the winter. My gear is getting on a bit, and was more worried about it going up in flames....

  24. #354
    Senior Member ford 7840's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    307

    Re: Ford New Holland 8340 SLE help thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Einstien View Post
    Maybe instead of disconnecting the battery, try a 12v solar trickle charger, leave it in the window facing the sun over the winter.... works on an old MB Trac of mine really well.... was about a tenner from Maplins
    not much help when stored inside a dark shed, as been said its to stop a short and going up in flames cos even new stuff go up in flames due to a short,

  25. #355
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    2

    Re: Ford New Holland 8340 SLE help thread

    Ford 8340 engages 4WD when you hit the brakes but not on the switch?

    Any ideas where to start

  26. #356
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    west wales
    Posts
    414

    Re: Ford New Holland 8340 SLE help thread

    Bump. Got to keep this thread alive....

  27. #357
    Senior Member Quattromike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Moray
    Posts
    454

    Re: Ford New Holland 8340 SLE help thread

    I've a 7740 1996 blue roof sle and for over a year the speedo was not registering road speed, then this year after getting her stuck for a bit in deep snow then out again the speedo started working, but, at some point during me pressing all the buttons on the dash trying to get a speed reading. The dash now displays 682 kph when it should be more like 40 kph. I'm pretty sure sh is not capable of 682 kph but could be wrong. The question is how do I correct this and get a more accurate speed reading.
    "At the end of the day, I think it's going to get very dark."

  28. #358
    Senior Member Footsfitter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Basingstoke, Hants
    Posts
    2,404

    Re: Ford New Holland 8340 SLE help thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Quattromike View Post
    I've a 7740 1996 blue roof sle and for over a year the speedo was not registering road speed, then this year after getting her stuck for a bit in deep snow then out again the speedo started working, but, at some point during me pressing all the buttons on the dash trying to get a speed reading. The dash now displays 682 kph when it should be more like 40 kph. I'm pretty sure sh is not capable of 682 kph but could be wrong. The question is how do I correct this and get a more accurate speed reading.
    Have you got radar? (maybe you need a radar trap scanner if you are doing 682kph )


    Seem to remember having to put in the figure out of the operators manual for the relevant tyre size/rolling circumference? I reckon you have the wrong setting and its out of sync?

    sorry not to of more help
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

  29. #359
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Co Down
    Posts
    374

    Re: Ford New Holland 8340 SLE help thread

    As FF said,is there radar or slip control on the tractor? Turn on key switch(don't start engine). Press and hold down button 5th from right for 3 secs til it beeps. You should have a flashing number on the main display. If there is a radar,it should read 4018. If it doesn't say that change it by pressing the button 6th from left.Move across by pressing the the next button to the right.When done,turn off key switch to save to the memory. If there is no radar,you need to measure the rolling radius which is from the ground to the centre of the wheel.I have a chart in both inches and mm and then a corresponding number to key into the dash as before. You'd need to measure the RR first and come back here with a distance,preferably in inches, and I'll give you the calibration number,as the chart would take some time to type out rather than trying to scan it as I'm not too savvy with such things!

  30. #360
    Senior Member Quattromike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Moray
    Posts
    454

    Re: Ford New Holland 8340 SLE help thread

    Much appreciated, I will check this out tomorrow
    "At the end of the day, I think it's going to get very dark."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •