Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: Ford New Holland 8340 SLE help thread

Re: Ford New Holland 8340 SLE help thread

Our 8340 is generally very light on the shuttle lever but occasionally the shift will baulk and moving back to neutral or opposite direction makes it easy. I never force the lever. On the other hand the Hi Lo lever is a pig and I have found the middle leaver is best in neutral.
    If the synchronisers were completely worn I assume you would get a crunch? I wonder if the cable its self is stiff. I have had other machines with bowden type cables that seem to wear and increase friction.

Thanks Essex Pete, got cable loosed up and working a treat now.

Another mechanical problem is, bought tractor knowing it was not braking, has a handbrake.

No brake fluid at all in her so filled up and bled it but canít get pressure in pedal.

Changed oil and filters to check there was no fillings and oil is fine , it it likely to be cylinder ?

Could be master cylinders,trailer brake valve or the slave cylinders or pipes inside the trumpet housings that are leaking. Did you bleed the trailer brake valve and are you using LHM fluid(mineral)?

Seems odd that you cannot get a pedal on either side?

Quote Originally Posted by essexpete View Post
    Seems odd that you cannot get a pedal on either side?
    If someones put anything other than LHM the seals will be wrecked
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

So what colour is the brake fluid?

Willjames7840

Quote Originally Posted by coldy5 View Post
    Hello.
    Lately I'm having trouble changing up gear from 4 up to 5. The lever pops back out of 5 and I have to juggle it a few time to get it to stay in. I've checked the linkages are fine and when I looked in the top of the box there seems to be a lot of play between the cogs.
    Is it a complete strip down of the box to sort it ?
    Did you figure out what was wrong. My 7840 has the same problem. Thanks

Willjames7840

I've got a 96 7840 special and recently it's been a job to change from 4 to 5 and now it doesn't engage atall. It just pops out when you move the shuttle lever but the light still show that's its in 5

Quote Originally Posted by Willjames7840 View Post
    I've got a 96 7840 special and recently it's been a job to change from 4 to 5 and now it doesn't engage atall. It just pops out when you move the shuttle lever but the light still show that's its in 5
    Do you mean the middle lever 1-4/5-8? It might be worth having the floor out as above and checking the cable cone on that shift.

Problem with my 8340 1996 blue roof itís started to put up fault code E11 and wonít move until you switch off the ignition and start it up again you may have to do this several times before it goes itís also occasionally putting up E37 weíve changed the potentiometer and calibrated it but itís still no better anyone had this problem before

If the electronic hydraulic lift control valve sitting below the seat in a 7840 SLE has a defect, would this lead to jumpy lowering of heavy loads on the hitch? The part number is F0NNR921AB. I've had this failure for years and the local nh dealer has no answer to my problem except changing and recalibrate the external potmeter on the hitch, which didn't help at all. I notice that, when trying to lift something too heavy for the hitch to lift (my 8 tonne excavator), it takes some 3 to 5 seconds for the hitch to respond to the lowering of the lever. When responding, the hitch dumps too fast. The behaviour occurs only when asking for quite a lot of lift power. (which would explain why lifting light tools is ok, but my 4 furrow kverneland plow is lowered with erratic jumps). I've asked about this here before, but bear with me as I hope to understand how the electronically controlled lift valve works.

Hi,

Ford 8340 showing error code 67 in the top right corner so itís an electronic draft control code. Lift is disabled in the tractor, unable to calibrate it while this code is there, so essentially have no lift. Does anyone know what it means?? I have a book with a list of fault codes and it only goes up to code 64...

Have you got the quick lift switch turned off? I take it you have done the cycling of the hitch lever?

Thanks for the reply. Yes, Iíve moved the switch both ways but no luck.
    Iím also getting code 24 -perform Hydraulic Lift Autocalibration. The problem is I canít seem to calibrate while code 67 is also there. The Fender Controls do nothing, the hitch lever does nothing either, regardless of what way the fast raise/lower switch is.

Anything else I can try? I have a reasonable understanding of the electronics, but the fact that the code isnít mentioned in my book is what is bugging me.

67 doesn't exist.I think,although it says 67,it should read either 27 or 57. I think the first digit is being displayed wrongly. 27 is a fault with the left hand lift potentiometer and 57 is a fault with the EDC power supply relay. Check that the connector for the LH pot is making a good connection.IIRC,it's clipped to the LH brake housing on the back of the axle trumpet.
    Don't know which relay in the fuse box is for the EDC but check fuses 12 and 14 as well.You may also need to search out any multiplugs and give them a spray with electrical contact cleaner.The big one above the battery with a shiny metal locking ring is particularly prone to corrosion.

Thanks agrimax. You are correct, Fuse 14 was indeed blown, so it must have been code 57 as you suggested. Good spot!

More questions! I am now trying to autocalibrate the electronic draft control. I disconnected and reconnected the RH pot and got code 27 as expected.I then toggled the keyswitch and got code 24 as expected. I turned all the controls pots fulIy clockwise (drop rate control, height limit control and position/draft sensitivity. I started up the tractor and set it to 1100rpm. I then cycled the hitch lever to get rid of the lift disabled symbol on the dash. I then lifted the arms all the way up on the hitch lever, the hitch position code went all the way to 99 as expected, and the relief valve momentarily released, which makes me feel that the calibration works up to that point.

Next step is to move the hitch lever down to the bottom past the mechanical detent. The arms go down, the position code goes down to 0, however the hitch disabled symbol never comes on, which isnít letting me proceed with the calibration. Anyone have any idea why this is happening?

I followed the rest of the steps to attempt to finish calibration, but I never get a hitch disabled symbol. Now, I am able to lift the hitch correctly, fast raise/lower switch is working, but my fender controls do not work. The hitch should always be disabled when I push past the mechanical detent when calibration is done correctly, am I right? Does the lift need to be disabled for fender controls to work?

Yes. The lever needs to be past the detent for the external switches to work and should always be disabled in that bottom position. However,you should get 0 on the display before the lever is past the detent, not after it.

Ok, thanks for the info. Some further details - It does reach code 0 approximately at the mechanical detent, remains at 0 when I push past it. However, still do not get the hitch disabled symbol.

Since attempting calibration, when I stop the tractor and switch the keyswitch back on (with the hitch lever fully down past the mechanical detent), the hitch disabled symbol shows up on the dash. If I start the tractor, it remains there. I have tried the fender controls at this stage with no luck.

When I pull back the hitch lever past the mechanical detent, the hitch disabled symbol disappears and the arms lift. If I put the hitch lever back down, the hitch disabled symbol does not return, same behavior that I mentioned before.

I tested the potentiometer on the hitch lever and I donít think itís at fault (seems to vary predictably all the way round). I have a spare one which I have tried but makes no difference. I also have a spare microprocessor which I have tried with same behavior observed, so I donít think itís faulty computer either.

Any other suggestions? There are no error codes anymore so Iím all out of ideas. Have checked all fuses, have checked that the fender switches are connected to the microprocessor when pressed.

How accurate does the rpm have to be for calibration to occur? I have found mine to vary +-20 rpm from 1100rpm, does this matter?

Think as long as the rpms are at 1100 to start with,it'll be fine. The upper height cal seems ok.Try another calibration and after getting 99 for the upper limit, then go fully forward past the detent and get the lift disabled symbol,move the lever back up enough to get rid of lift disabled and back down against the detent before the arms have had time to be in the fully lowered position.Maybe you have tried this but it sounds like the system is trying to calbrate the lowest position as having the lever past the detent rather than before it.IYKWIM!
    When you start the tractor and and have lift disabled displayed,the fender switches still won't work as the system initially needs activated and then disabled again before they should operate.I think.........
    It's a couple of years since I had a 40 series and I forget a little but on the odd occassion there was a fault with the switches,a code would have displayed.

I've tried the calibration again, but unfortunately no luck. I did what you suggested agrimax, but the result was the same. At no stage during attempted calibration or afterwards was I able to get the hitch disabled symbol to light up when I push the hitch lever past the mechanical detent, and so the calibration could not proceed. This must be why my fender controls aren't working, since this state is a requirement for them to work.

Surely someone has seen this behavior before?

Hi everyone, I recently purchased a 94 8340 sle, on delivery to my house I found out the rear lift doesnít work, itís not the super fancy dash style but has a square digital display showing the gear you are in and another the same size showing the rear lift position, however the rear lift display is completely blank no error codes or anything, if I mess around with the rocker switch for the rear lift I can make the disconnect light go on and blink steadily but the lift itself doesnít move at all and the service manual is kind of vague or Iím just kind of old and simple when I read it. Does anyone have any idea what this issue might be? Please and thank you.

Make sure the the quick lift switch just behind the gear levers is off (the end nearest seat down). Start the tractor and cycles the position lever up and down a few times and see if you get anything.

Thanks for answering essexpete, I tried cycling the raise and lower with the switch off and nothing moved, I also tried to get the disconnect light to come on today by using the quick lift rocker and no luck. I have been reading the service manual and it refers to a ASC valve below the seat, I guess this is for a different model of tractor since mine has the port for the handle but a rubber cap sealing it and no sticker on the floor, any other ideas? Please and thank you

I would expect the ASC valve to still be there only you have to reach under the cab to move the knob. The quick lift switch shouldn't make the hitch disabled light come on. Should only come on if there is a fault and when the lift lever is fully forward past the detent or when the engine is stopped and started again. Have you checked the fuses? Are the spool valves working?

Quote Originally Posted by county1184 View Post
    I've tried the calibration again, but unfortunately no luck. I did what you suggested agrimax, but the result was the same. At no stage during attempted calibration or afterwards was I able to get the hitch disabled symbol to light up when I push the hitch lever past the mechanical detent, and so the calibration could not proceed. This must be why my fender controls aren't working, since this state is a requirement for them to work.

Surely someone has seen this behavior before?
    Any more ideas on this? Still have been unable to complete the calibration. Tractor will be out of the shed by the end of the week, so this is my last chance to fix this issue before putting the panels/upholstery back in and doing without the fender controls.

On my 7740 the switch behind the gears sticks for quick lift is a three position switch and the rear fender controls only work in the middle position. Every time I start her up with the switch in the down position( side nearest the seat down) I lift the lift arm position lever up to the top, push fully down and back up to the top then back to the position I want them to be at. If I then move the switch to the middle position the rear fender controls work.
    "At the end of the day, I think it's going to get very dark."

Would your 7740 be one of the last I wonder? Never seen a three position switch in them but never used a very late model either to know.......

Yes I think the later rocker switch was modified.

Quote Originally Posted by Quattromike View Post
    On my 7740 the switch behind the gears sticks for quick lift is a three position switch and the rear fender controls only work in the middle position. Every time I start her up with the switch in the down position( side nearest the seat down) I lift the lift arm position lever up to the top, push fully down and back up to the top then back to the position I want them to be at. If I then move the switch to the middle position the rear fender controls work.
    Thanks for the reply Quattromike. Our switch has only two positions, and I think it is working correctly (Raise position causes arms to lift to limit regardless of lever), work position allows me to control arms with the lever. Still haven't managed disabling the lift by pushing the lever forward all the way past the mechanical detent. Fender controls haven't worked yet regardless of switch or lever position.

Just out of interest, how much oils should be in the backend of my 7740sle? I drained her down and fitted new filters 3 of them then started to fill her up and only got 40 littered in her and it's up to the mark. Have I drained the wrong casing or not filled her right. I'm thinking it should hold 60 litres.
    "At the end of the day, I think it's going to get very dark."