Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Ford New Holland 8340 SLE help thread

Rassiel

Re: Ford New Holland 8340 SLE help thread

Quote Originally Posted by JohnB_IE View Post
    Sorry rassiel,dont mean to highjack your thread,but on the same topic ,has any 1 come across a charge pump failing,we hav a prequad one landed to repair and it has no charge pressure,a friend tells me its air locked but im not so sure.
    Hey JohnB all the answers are welcome. I opened this post to try to put all the possible problems and opinions on this models on a same thread, as before i purchased the tractor navigated hours and hours between tons of threads in this forums (very helpfull thought) looking for info.

Thanks NH power, ill see if i got time this weekend to take a look.
    Past weekend spent almost 2 days trying to clean the dust on the roof / air con system, and i still have to install some parts to close the roof.

milbethill

Quote Originally Posted by NH POWER View Post
    Unscrew the charge pressure valve cover on the side of the pump. Its the big plastic plug looking one that faces toward the wheel, ground towards the rear. inside there is the charge bypass valve. That used to come unscrewed. You do need a special tool to do it up.

Regarding the engine groaning, is it the hyd relief valve blowing off? Are the hyds right up?
    A wee addition to what andrew said here about the engine groaning. the guy i used to work for had an 8360 and it used to get the same fault but it was a spool valve problem all we did was take out the two allen screws next to where you put in the spool pipes and take off the end cap, clean out the oil and put it back together again, sorted!
    Yuo should get hold of "stormin" on here he is at our local dealer and it was him that told us what to do, it only takes 5 mins and costs nowt.
    Just a thought.

Stormin

Towards the end of the 40 series they offered SLE specials , these were basic spec i.e analogue dash mechanical lift but sle transmission we sold alot of these they were a cheaper option.

The charge pump has a brass drive shaft with an o-ring on it which wears and let oil bypass losing pressure , the shaft it quite expensive and the o-ring isn't supplied seprately.

Rassiel

Question Re: Ford New Holland 8340 SLE help thread

I was wrong with the light.
    It was the transmission and steering low oil pressure light.
    It flashes when you press diff lock, sometimes brakes, when changing gears, now becomes on for seconds when raising hitch at low engine rpms.
    Playing with the controls on the EHC panel, found that if i raise the hitch with the height limit knob, the light seems not to become on, (maybe raises it slower?).
    Found some differences using the position/draft sensitivy knob.
    Could anyone explain me how to use this last knob, not sure if im understanding it right, and i dont have the operators manual.

Everything seems to work fine despite of the diff lock. Checked the instrument cluster lights and despite i got 4 broken lamps, it wasnt the diff lock one.
    Tested the diff lock rocker switch and works. Also you can hear a click sound when you click the diff lock button. Next ill will try to open the diff lock actuator and see if it works.
    Any ideas?

cygnus

I have a 7840 SLE 1993 that has a couple of problems which may or may not be connected - The altenator light has come on, and at the same time I can shift up 1 - 4 ok, but it won't let me shift down, and I can shift 5 - 8 ok, but when you press down it defaults back to 5 .
    I've stripped the altenator, and the brushes and spindle are worn down so will probably need a new one, anyone any ideas on what the other problem is?

Rassiel

Quote Originally Posted by cygnus View Post
    I have a 7840 SLE 1993 that has a couple of problems which may or may not be connected - The altenator light has come on, and at the same time I can shift up 1 - 4 ok, but it won't let me shift down, and I can shift 5 - 8 ok, but when you press down it defaults back to 5 .
    I've stripped the altenator, and the brushes and spindle are worn down so will probably need a new one, anyone any ideas on what the other problem is?
    Ill wait until the alternator is repaired, I supose no error codes on the display?Maybe could be a worn switch button in the lever.
    I had been researching on my lights flashing and on the workshop manaul allways go to search for hyd leaks (wich i do), so better solve a known problem before searching for a new one.

JohnB_IE

Wel lads only started at the 7840 yesterday,and it seems it actually has charge pressure,but obviously still does not lift or move and no auxillaries.Im not over familiar with this system but from what i can gather the piston pump is not going into low pressure stand by.If its not the charge pressure by pass valve then what then.

NH POWER

Could be 2 things i reckon.
    Spool valve coupling stuck open (press the nipples in)
    Compensation valve faulty. Both would give the same symtons. The comp valve is underneath the pump with the load sensing line going into it and 2 round caps.

JohnB_IE

Thanks nh power,im going to check that out.ile keep yee posted.

Rassiel

One question, my tractor batteries (2) gone flat, after a week being stoped.
    My neighbourcame with his MXM 120 to the rescue, and noticed his batteries were larger tham mines (mines are 2x75Ah).
    What batteries do you have on yours?

Stormin

40 series should have a 663 battery on it which are 105ah many were fitted with 2 of the same battery.

JohnB_IE

Well all with 40 series problems,the one which would not the lift or move has been sorted.We blanked off a few ports and found that there was a leak internally in the pto circuit.When we removed the plate behind the diesel tank ,we found that the clip that holds in the pipe that feeds the pto ,had come out of place and was broken,hence the pipe was out of place,a new clip and o ring and problem solved ,thankfully.

essexpete

Well all with 40 series problems,the one which would not the lift or move has been sorted.We blanked off a few ports and found that there was a leak internally in the pto circuit.When we removed the plate behind the diesel tank ,we found that the clip that holds in the pipe that feeds the pto ,had come out of place and was broken,hence the pipe was out of place,a new clip and o ring and problem solved ,thankfully.
    So was oil leaking internally or externally?

TMFAgri

Can anyone help with a PTO fault on a 8240. Was working fine while mowing then just stopped and won't start again.
    Checked fuse, relay and that the 540 1000 lever is engaged properly.

Rassiel

Maybe its the switch? Check it with a multimeter.

Claas Grass

Same happened mine a few years back baling just would not work after dinner as already said it is probably a switch problem. Crap time to happen on a Saturday evening a normal toggle switch would probably get the job finished until Monday.

JohnB_IE

Internal leak essexpete

agrimax

Had that problem on my 8240 also. Turned out to be the both wires going to the pto solenoid control valve had all the insulation off them.Would have thought a fuse should have blown,but no!Took a while to find problem, but was able to fix through round side plate on left hand side of axle housing.(Behind wheel and diesel tank).Not handy,but do-able.

RichardJW

Internal leak essexpete
    yes it is a somewhat poxy idea dating back to the old 5000 days which they never really addressed in a proper manner

essexpete

Quote Originally Posted by RichardJW View Post
    yes it is a somewhat poxy idea dating back to the old 5000 days which they never really addressed in a proper manner

It is a worry that on the one hand here is a regularly expanding thread when the tractor it replaced on our little holding regularly gets great prees in the classic section. :cry:

brian_s

Hi,
    recently bought a 7840 SLE its a 97 blue cab. Just have a few questions on it. First up, the handbrake light is constantly flashing and buzzer sounding, even with the handbrake down. I have checked the switch on the handbrake lever and it works fine. is this a problem in the dash?

Also there is an error flashing on the dash, the enging oil pressure icon (where the fuel gauge is displayed) flashes and the number one (just over where the gear selection is displayed) flash together and the "read the manual" icon is flashing aswell.

Also the clutch button on the shuttle lever doesnt work, again the switch seems fine. Could all three of these be linked? Is there any way of resetting the dash?

Also is there anywhere I could download the manuals for the tractor?

Thanks
    Brian

JohnB_IE

I think the handbrake light flashing could be the brakefluid level.Had this problem with a ts 90 a couple of weeks back.

essexpete

I think the handbrake light flashing could be the brakefluid level.Had this problem with a ts 90 a couple of weeks back.
    Indeed low fluid on a fast corner or bump will seemingly activate the warning.

brian_s

Thanks for that, will check that out this evening.

brian_s

Thats done the job thanks. Unfortunately another problem after coming up now that we have it out to do some work. The PTO seemed to be working fine when we had it in the yard, but when it warmed up out in the field the PTO is slipping. Is this a sign the PTO packs need changing? Or is there something simpler I may be missing? Everything else seems to be working fine

Thanks
    Brian

essexpete

I think you might need to have some pressure diagnostic tests. I had ours briefly slip when using a 540 flail on 1000rpm. Lack of engine rpm. It was OK afterwards but I suspect it was due to either low pressure suppling the PTO pack or leakage in the pack its self.

GALCAM

Can anyone tell me why my TS115 SLE refuses to move when I put it 2nd gear. The steering pump/transmission lubrication circuit oil pressure low warning light comes on on the dash(top row of dash lights second from the right). The tractor gets serviced regularly including the three hydraulic filters and oil levels are fine. I have noticed that the tractor will not move sometimes in 4th gear. Today returning from mowing the light referred to above stayed on most of the way home. Sometimes when the light is on I cannot lift or lower the front loader or use the spool valves to lift the mower bed. Any ideas? I have calibrated the clutch packs yesterday but no improvement. I have never calibrated clutch fill time.

paddypetrol

Apologies for the thread hijack!

The 8340 wouldnt change up through the 4 shift speeds however it would downshift. I figured out it is the up shift button inside the gearlever as when you cross the two wires behind the switch it will upshift.

I done a quick repair job on the button but its not ideal. I want to order a switch before it goes again! anyone know if you can buy the switch separately or will you have to buy the whole handle?

Thanks

Pryderi

Quote Originally Posted by paddypetrol View Post
    Apologies for the thread hijack!

The 8340 wouldnt change up through the 4 shift speeds however it would downshift. I figured out it is the up shift button inside the gearlever as when you cross the two wires behind the switch it will upshift.

I done a quick repair job on the button but its not ideal. I want to order a switch before it goes again! anyone know if you can buy the switch separately or will you have to buy the whole handle?

Thanks
    It used to be whole handle for an atonishing amount!!!! Maybe you could get a similar switch off RS Components or similar.

Reason I know is because we had one in with the buttons worn out so to say and therefore difficult to use. In the end I cut about 5mm piece of a very thick section oring from a kit and araldited it to the switch inside the knob. Worked a treat!!!

essexpete

Quote Originally Posted by Pryderi View Post
    It used to be whole handle for an atonishing amount!!!! Maybe you could get a similar switch off RS Components or similar.

Reason I know is because we had one in with the buttons worn out so to say and therefore difficult to use. In the end I cut about 5mm piece of a very thick section oring from a kit and araldited it to the switch inside the knob. Worked a treat!!!
    Thats what I like to hear!