Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Ford New Holland 8340 SLE help thread

123NH

Re: Ford New Holland 8340 SLE help thread

You can just get the switches, without having to buy the full handle

paddypetrol

Thanks for the replys.

I will pop into the dealer today and see what the damage will be!

Rassiel

Hi. As far as i know there is no replacement switch on the parts catalog, youll need to buy the entire knob.
    My suggestion is to open the orange cover where the buttons sit, take out the small printed circuit with the buttons on (if im not wrong youll have to remove the lever cover and unplug the harness below the lever), and take it to a electronic repair service, where they will easy fit new buttons.
    Both micro switch buttons will cost no more tham 5 pounds, plus the fitting labour wich wont take more tham 10 mins for a experienced technician.
    The knob is around 100 pounds

kmac

On a late plastic fender 7740 Sle with quicke loader and valve fitted, any reason why the loader won't operate at low rpm's? Once you get the pump to kick on at higher rev's you can let the rpm fall down and it works fine. Pain for using pallet forks precisely.

Also, fuel leaking near rear of engine / fuel tank, is there a common leaky hose in this area?

MF-ANDY

Quote Originally Posted by JohnB_IE View Post
    Well all with 40 series problems,the one which would not the lift or move has been sorted.We blanked off a few ports and found that there was a leak internally in the pto circuit.When we removed the plate behind the diesel tank ,we found that the clip that holds in the pipe that feeds the pto ,had come out of place and was broken,hence the pipe was out of place,a new clip and o ring and problem solved ,thankfully.
    seal at other end off that pipe can break up and then travel down pipe and block ipto valve. think there is a modified seal.

essexpete

Quote Originally Posted by kmac View Post
    On a late plastic fender 7740 Sle with quicke loader and valve fitted, any reason why the loader won't operate at low rpm's? Once you get the pump to kick on at higher rev's you can let the rpm fall down and it works fine. Pain for using pallet forks precisely.

Also, fuel leaking near rear of engine / fuel tank, is there a common leaky hose in this area?
    We had a leak on the main metal fuel pipe that comes over the transmission from the lower tank (behind the engine). It had been rubbing on something out of sight then tracking to a different spot to drip. Replaced it with a flex hose and jub clips.

paddypetrol

Quote Originally Posted by Rassiel View Post
    Hi. As far as i know there is no replacement switch on the parts catalog, youll need to buy the entire knob.
    My suggestion is to open the orange cover where the buttons sit, take out the small printed circuit with the buttons on (if im not wrong youll have to remove the lever cover and unplug the harness below the lever), and take it to a electronic repair service, where they will easy fit new buttons.
    Both micro switch buttons will cost no more tham 5 pounds, plus the fitting labour wich wont take more tham 10 mins for a experienced technician.
    The knob is around 100 pounds
    Yea you have to purchase the whole lot : 140 plus vat :cry: I will see if I can doctor up a switch for it!

paddypetrol

Finally got this sorted, two switches from Maplin for 2 each. Job done! Dont know how long they will last, but its worth a shot!

Here are a few pictures: (apologies for the bad quality but you get the idea!)

Rassiel

Well done.
    Those kind of buttons are a bit weak, but they are cheap and easy to replace. Next time search on ebay for microswitch buttons, those make a click when you press, and last longer.
    PS: pictures are not showing up, on photobucket click where it says IMG Code on the right on the screen and paste it to the forum.

Adsy

I have an 8240 SLE,could someone advise me on what transmission oil I should be using?

Cheers, Adsy.

Rassiel

Quote Originally Posted by Adsy View Post
    I have an 8240 SLE,could someone advise me on what transmission oil I should be using?

Cheers, Adsy.
    Any 10w30 Universal tractor transmission oil (UTTO) meeting Ford M2C134D or later spec. Oil capacity is about 61 liters, and service intervals are recomended on 1200 hours. Front axle and hubs use the same oil as the backend and have the same 1200h interval, so you will need another 8 liters for the front axle plus another 2,6 liter for the 2 front hubs (1,3 l each).

Adsy

Thanks for that Rassiel, I thought it was that, but just wanted to make sure.
    Does anyone (Rassiel) know the paint code (Pantone?) for Ford blue?
    The heatstroke on the bonnet needs sorting
    Cheers, Adsy.

Rassiel

Cheers, Adsy.
    Sorry i cannot help too much on colors, mine got the sheet metal painted .
    If its Ford blue it should be like this one advertised on Ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Agricultur...#ht_500wt_1156

agrimax

Cheers, Adsy.
    According to sites on Google,there is no official RAL code for Ford tractor blue and it is simply known as such.Later models from 2000 on were New Holland blue.Different manufacturers seem to have different codes but they are not RAL codes.

Adsy

Cheers chaps.

Willscale

couple more 7740 issues:

One is stuck in 4wd - i'm guessing an issue with the solenoid?

The other is that the pto turns off after about 30 seconds. If you restart it it will go again but not for long. This is confusing me a bit.

agrimax

My 8240 decided it wanted to be in 4wd on the road,last week.Had to take the shaft off to continue using it for road work.Removed the control valves off the gear box(pre quad) and could find nothing wrong.4wd solenoid worked fine.Even run power to it for over an hour,which is as it would be for 2wd.Didn't find any issues with the wiring either.Put the lot together and has been fine since!! Must have been a dirty connection somewhere.Glad the solenoid was ok as second hand ones are gone from the breakers and a new one is 401.YES 401 from the dealer.Total rip off.
    Might be something similar with yours,Willscale.Check the big multiplug above the battery,and the big blue relay in the fuse box.It has summat to do with pto.

rob fforest

Quote Originally Posted by Willscale View Post
    couple more 7740 issues:

One is stuck in 4wd - i'm guessing an issue with the solenoid?

The other is that the pto turns off after about 30 seconds. If you restart it it will go again but not for long. This is confusing me a bit.
    Could also be the sleave over the wires inside the back end has started to break down, had similar problem to yours a few years back on an 8340. You can just about do the job through the access plate but bit of a fiddle. Still easier this way than lifting cab and top cover off.

Willscale

Quote Originally Posted by agrimax View Post
    My 8240 decided it wanted to be in 4wd on the road,last week.Had to take the shaft off to continue using it for road work.Removed the control valves off the gear box(pre quad) and could find nothing wrong.4wd solenoid worked fine.Even run power to it for over an hour,which is as it would be for 2wd.Didn't find any issues with the wiring either.Put the lot together and has been fine since!! Must have been a dirty connection somewhere.Glad the solenoid was ok as second hand ones are gone from the breakers and a new one is 401.YES 401 from the dealer.Total rip off.
    Might be something similar with yours,Willscale.Check the big multiplug above the battery,and the big blue relay in the fuse box.It has summat to do with pto.
    Is this the 4wd solenoid I need? (mechanic says its deffo soleniod).
    White Cab SL 7740 - I hope they are all the same for models.

http://www.malpasonline.co.uk/ItemDe...Enabled=1#Tabs

agrimax

Would guess it is.Mine is a SLE and therefore has solenoid on the inside of the gearbox. Didn't realise yours was a SL model.Solenoid is on transfer case of yours and is definitely different to mine.
    As rob said,wires to pto solenoid could be suspect,although I've been there too.Insulation completely gone and no pto at all on mine.Awkward but checkable through that round plate.

Adsy

Hi again.
    Seeking abit more advise. I have run the tractor (8240) low on diesel, and it has sucked a load of crap out of the bottom of the tank.
    I have cleaned out the sight glass, it was full of gloop, but I am struggling to bleed her up for some reason? The lift pump doesnt seem to be pulling the diesel through, I have sucked the fuel through manually and filled the glass, but am struggling to get it up to the pump. I have took the pump feed pipe from the filter off and tried sucking it through to try and prime the lift pump, but nothing. I am thinking it must be the filter that is blocked full of crap, so I'm going to get a new filter in the mornin, and try again.
    Hopefully this will work, but was just wondering if anyone had any tips for bleeding 40 series tractors, as I havent had it long, and first time I've bled it, previous owner must have liked putting crappy diesel in it:cry:.
    Cheers, Adsy.

davidroberts30

Hi again.
    Seeking abit more advise. I have run the tractor (8240) low on diesel, and it has sucked a load of crap out of the bottom of the tank.
    I have cleaned out the sight glass, it was full of gloop, but I am struggling to bleed her up for some reason? The lift pump doesnt seem to be pulling the diesel through, I have sucked the fuel through manually and filled the glass, but am struggling to get it up to the pump. I have took the pump feed pipe from the filter off and tried sucking it through to try and prime the lift pump, but nothing. I am thinking it must be the filter that is blocked full of crap, so I'm going to get a new filter in the mornin, and try again.
    Hopefully this will work, but was just wondering if anyone had any tips for bleeding 40 series tractors, as I havent had it long, and first time I've bled it, previous owner must have liked putting crappy diesel in it:cry:.
    Cheers, Adsy.
    have you blown back into the tank?

Richard

Fill the tank to the brim to start with.

Adsy

davidroberts30
    have you blown back into the tank?
    I havent blown back into the tank, but it sucked through to the glass easily, so its flowing to here no problem.

RichardRe: Ford New Holland 8340 SLE help thread
    Fill the tank to the brim to start with.
    Cheers for the advise guys.
    Adsy.

Rassiel

There is a small filter where the fuel line joins the pump. Unscrew the fuel connector to the pump, should be bellow.
    Bleed both the filter and the water separator.
    The pump should have a bleed screw somewhere (as other pumps do), couldnt find it on the parts diagram.
    Mine took a while after changing filters, bleed it several times, full refill etc to stop sucking air.

Adsy

Sorted the diesel problem and she's up a running again.
    But I have come upon another problem
    Over the last few days we have been on with a muck shift as I have been digging out for a new building. The 8240 has been on the tipping trailer for the last few days with no problems, and has done 40+ loads. But today for some reason the trailer would not come down after tipping? Ended up having to slacken a union off and put the trailer pipe onto a return connector I have on the filler neck and let gravity take its course.
    Its now doing it on nearly every empty? When you pull the lever to lower the trailer the hydraulics are under load, but nothing happens?
    Is there a valve somwhere that could be sticking?
    Cheers, Adsy.

agrimax

Have you tried the tipping pipe on another spool?My 8240 did the same.Had to replace one of the female ports.There is a 'pin' inside that breaks.All mine need replacing but work ok on double acting.Just have to remember which one to use for tipping a trailer.Have been caught out and had to slacken hose before,Messy.

JamesC

When you pull the lever to lower the trailer the hydraulics are under load, but nothing happens?
    Is there a valve somwhere that could be sticking?
    Cheers, Adsy.
    Dont mean to patronise but on drop you have been pulling the lever fully forward into single acting return mode as opposed to the double acting return mode where you can hear her pumping, got a man here who persists in making the hydraulics pump in single acting drop, makes my blood boil to listen to tractor working for nowt and nacking the pump, and probably the valves as well.

Adsy

agrimaxRe: Ford New Holland 8340 SLE help thread
    Have you tried the tipping pipe on another spool?My 8240 did the same.Had to replace one of the female ports.There is a 'pin' inside that breaks.All mine need replacing but work ok on double acting.Just have to remember which one to use for tipping a trailer.Have been caught out and had to slacken hose before,Messy.
    The first time it did it, we did this and worked, but now it won't go down on either spool, but the other spool is abit dicky, and sometimes shoots the connector off when under pressure.

JamesC
    Dont mean to patronise but on drop you have been pulling the lever fully forward into single acting return mode as opposed to the double acting return mode where you can hear her pumping, got a man here who persists in making the hydraulics pump in single acting drop, makes my blood boil to listen to tractor working for nowt and nacking the pump, and probably the valves as well.
    Yes we are pushing it right forward, the pump works, then when right forward goes quiet, but the trailer still won't lower.

JamesC

The first time it did it, we did this and worked, but now it won't go down on either spool, but the other spool is abit dicky, and sometimes shoots the connector off when under pressure.

Yes we are pushing it right forward, the pump works, then when right forward goes quiet, but the trailer still won't lower.
    Fair enough, looks like a strip down and check all the connectors then, summat is sticking