Thread: Heavy duty chain

Heavy duty chain

Right lads I'm looking for a good heavy chain for towing tractors etc...

Hoop on one end and a hook on the other end, also what's everyone's opinions on the best length to go for?

Can anyone point my me in the right direction of where to get what I'm looking for? Prepared to pay good money for a chain that's going to last!!

Re: Heavy duty chain

Quote Originally Posted by michaelb1992 View Post

Hoop on one end and a hook on the other end, also what's everyone's opinions on the best length to go for?

Can anyone point my me in the right direction of where to get what I'm looking for? Prepared to pay good money for a chain that's going to last!!
    Hackett chains are pretty good stuff.
    Google them.http://www.williamhackett.co.uk/en-g...hains/p-107239

Quote Originally Posted by michaelb1992 View Post

As short as possible.

Be aware that if it escapes from a PUH hook, the more there is the bigger the risk its going to connect with something/someone and a heavy chain won't take prisoners. A wire rope may have less kinetic energy than a heavy chain but its still a lethal weapon. These big wide webbing straps now may be a way to go? Just remember to avoid the big shackle in the PUH hook, put the strap, chain or rope in a clevis drawbar with a secured pin and try to avoid a hook, its difficult but its about risk management.
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

Sorry FF but in my humble opinion a wire rope is the work of the Devil. 'orrible things. Frayed strands = flailed hands.

Quote Originally Posted by zaza View Post
    Sorry FF but in my humble opinion a wire rope is the work of the Devil. 'orrible things. Frayed strands = flailed hands.
    Nah! The frayed strands help your hand get a better grip

JV

Quote Originally Posted by john maddock View Post
    Nah! The frayed strands help your hand get a better grip

JV
    Only on the Wife John, and then only on her soft bits.

It's a cable we've got . Must be near 40mm thick and maybe 4 to 5 meter long . Its inside a length of that clear hose they use for volume washers . The company we go it from told us chains were for lifting cables were for pulling . They could have sold us a chain but it would have been dearer

Only on the Wife John, and then only on her soft bits.
    Ah, if only!

JV

You can get tractors nowadays that you don't need to tow
    "At the end of the day, I think it's going to get very dark."

What you were used to I suppose? Back when I worked in plant hire we had an AEC Matador for recovery work so winching with double and triple snatch blocks, splicing ropes and making thimbled eyes with dog clamps was a frequent task. Later with a driving license I would get involved on a regular basis taking out drums of new rope for towed cat and Vickers Onions scraper boxes because I had the LWB 109" landrover with its PTO Lincoln welder which enabled me to weld the new rope to the end of the old rope, we used British Ropes from Charlton, west london who could supply them with hot twisted ends that were nicely tapered, with a bit of practice you could lay old and new together, carefully "weld" them together so that with a bit of care the operators of the Cat 463 boxes could simply pull the new rope through and avoid the rigmarole of rethreading from scratch. The Vickers Onions boxes were not quite so handy to rethread and their engineering was a bit out of date too.

Ther used to be a chap down here who worked for Farm Services and one day he was cleaning out a lake with a dragline and I was digging holes for him to drop the sludge into. One of his ropes broke and he spliced it. Never seen it done before or since. Easy enough with a hessian rope but with a wire rope it's a totally different kettle of fish. He was using pads and they had a ring in the top and he had a hook on the back of his bucket and he could pick them up and move them to his next position. Was a joy to watch him work.

Ther used to be a chap down here who worked for Farm Services and one day he was cleaning out a lake with a dragline and I was digging holes for him to drop the sludge into. One of his ropes broke and he spliced it. Never seen it done before or since. Easy enough with a hessian rope but with a wire rope it's a totally different kettle of fish. He was using pads and they had a ring in the top and he had a hook on the back of his bucket and he could pick them up and move them to his next position. Was a joy to watch him work.
    Used to see a few draglines in the sand & gravel pits here in the south until they died out. Selwoods used to run a few one of which sat on a topsoil bund along side the M3 and loaded the topsoil into tippers stood on the coned off hard shoulder Being it was the county council doing made it possible but I think the traffic back then in '78 also helped! Later the same RB22 machine was at another council job where one of our tippers had pulled the nut off the tipping ram with the body going up and sitting on the load- I went up in the dragline bucket to attach a chain and once back on terra-firma we used the RB to lower the body back down

Also while on about old boys, I once saw a timber man with a Bedford QL outfit using the winch to pull scrub out of the way and then felled timber later on, he had a C hook made by a blacksmith from the shaft of a lorry half shaft, about 1.5" diameter and 8"x4" in size. The smith had made it more hooked over than shown here in this C and the "straight" bit between top and bottom curves he put in a kink that apparently stopped the hook pulling open under load. Never seen one since and it was a lot faster than using D shackles.

On the subject of towing have you seen the Highway Thru Hell series?....absolutely compelling viewing about heavy vehicle recovery in Canada and not like ice-road truckers which they managed to over dramatise to ridiculous levels

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4m...HpBpAgqeVckISg