Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: John Deere 4240S

BOB1

John Deere 4240S

Ive got a chance to buy a 1985 4240S John Deere been on the same farm as new, seems very genuine less than 3000 hours original tyres are getting quite perished but 40% tread

Anyone had experiance of them I am wanting it to put away really and just do odd jobs for pleasure etc

Seems a brute of a tractor for little money

Tree mover

Re: John Deere 4240S

Outfit I worked for ran one ahead of a jf chopper. They had it opened up- and it gave no bother. They bought it second hand and I think it had around 5-6000hrs done. They went spfh in the end.

I remember mowing with it one day- and compared to the 3650- it was an animal.

Sorry not aware of any faults.

Kingpin

was driving one back in 1990's for a bit. and it was a nice tractor back then. lots off pock.
    thats about as much as i know about them ... nice tractor tho.

Kipper

Buy it, very good tractor,

could be a bit short on number gears ratios and 30km.

a bit over size on tyres.

BOB1

Really tempted, running modern John Deeres at the moment electronics touch screens etc,

May dream about it tonight Very Sad I Know!!!

treblesykes

Just for reference ours cost 26,000 in 1983 brand new, kept it about 10 years. Was a good tractor,but rear links were weak, snapped a few.
    We managed to shear teeth off the rear crown wheel and pinion doing some serious subsoiling. Deere paid for the parts even though it was atleast 5 years old at the time.

ReidyNZ

Quote Originally Posted by Tree mover View Post
    Outfit I worked for ran one ahead of a jf chopper. They had it opened up- and it gave no bother. They bought it second hand and I think it had around 5-6000hrs done. They went spfh in the end.

I remember mowing with it one day- and compared to the 3650- it was an animal.

Sorry not aware of any faults.

That's because there aint any

Have US 4040 -has 404US engine, understand "S" has 358 German eng (stand to be corrected) so poss a bit underpowered.

Other than repair AC a few times only thing I have had to do is both rear wheel bearings (did brakes while we were in there as well) pretty easy job too. Has 11k on the clock but know it has done more like 20k - there are several examples done over 20k hrs here.

Only aware of spider gears in diff being weak point - only seems to be a prob where someone does some serious forward/reverse shuttling ie. being stuck & trying to get out. Have done lots of heavy draught work without issue (touch wood)

A bullet proof tractor that is a pleasure to drive, other than gearbox which can be a bit awkward, but ya don't have to change gears much

Buy it - you will never regret

henery

get it bought, like money in the bank if its genuine......hanging onto my 4255 for the same reason, a classic in the making, the 42 is a real classic.

Nearly

I'm not a JD fan, don't like the SG2 cab but......BUY IT!

Ford 66

I am a blue man .But if there is one other tractor I would have it is a John Deere 4240s . Just go and buy it before someone else does !!!

sutty79

I used to have one they are a great tractor sound very nice.They will pull a house down. A proper tractor!! Infact i still have the original operators manual for one. Just wish id kept the tractor.:cry:

sutty79

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    Buy it, very good tractor,

could be a bit short on number gears ratios and 30km.

a bit over size on tyres.
    I think the extra diesel tank is an E A Clayton special mine was suplied with the same tank bolted on the side.(i may be wrong)

Boothy

Quote Originally Posted by BOB1 View Post
    Really tempted, running modern John Deeres at the moment electronics touch screens etc,

May dream about it tonight Very Sad I Know!!!

Get it bought before somone else does these old deeres are becoming the new must have classics 40/50 series and can't see you losing money!!!

Kipper

Mother in law had a 4240s.
    in the day before mobile phone, the wife would know when i had finished ploughing and soon be home tea, as she could not hear me going any more.
    could not get a 4240s for the right money at the time, so i got a 4440.

deere2140

The hydraulic fwd not the best , but a 4440 a better tractor , heavier back end than a 40/4240 .

Lord Muck

Ive got a chance to buy a 1985 4240S John Deere been on the same farm as new, seems very genuine less than 3000 hours original tyres are getting quite perished but 40% tread

Anyone had experiance of them I am wanting it to put away really and just do odd jobs for pleasure etc

Stop being a mincer.
    The next post i want to see from you is the pictures and you as the proud new owner.

RJ

Quote Originally Posted by sutty79 View Post
    I think the extra diesel tank is an E A Clayton special mine was suplied with the same tank bolted on the side.(i may be wrong)
    Had that same fuel tank on a 4450 once. Wish id kept the 4450 to.

Irish Bob

Bob1

If you are not set to buy it I am interested. I have been looking for a big 40 / 50 series for a while.

Good home in Cheshire awaits. Odd jobs, pulling a trailer etc. The odd tractor run.

Let me know.

Ford 66

Well . Did you buy it !!!!!

BOB1

Quote Originally Posted by Ford 66 View Post
    Well . Did you buy it !!!!!
    No Bid 8000 for it. Was a little disapointed when I went to view it, It showed 1990Hours on the clock, it had clearly done more than that, but the guy insisted they were genuine. I would have thought 5 or 6 thousand hours more likely, probably had a new clock fitted.

Was tidy tractor though and could have had it for 8250 maybe should have I dont know.
    Dont know who bought it sold outside of Ebay by the looks of it,

here is the Ebay link http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tab%3DWatching

Ford 66

Not to worry . I think 8 grand was a bit strong for this tractor .Just sit and wait and other one will come along .

Happy Hunting !!

BOB1

Quote Originally Posted by Ford 66 View Post
    Not to worry . I think 8 grand was a bit strong for this tractor .Just sit and wait and other one will come along .

Happy Hunting !!
    I made the offer after speaking to the chap on the phone Thought I would lift a little after viewing but it defo had done more hours than recorded but still seemed a bloody good tractor.

A bit sick especially after a 340Mile round trip on Friday in a Defender!!!

but will keep looking as you say

Boothy

I think you made right decision although a tidy example 1900hrs is very
    low for a tractor of that age and was prob not true but if it had 3500hrs on the clock would you have let it slip out of your hands??? might have been more genuine and therefore u might have been tempted more!? 8k is about right for a tidy example so it wasnt badly priced but you would of been sick if it turned out to be a dog!!!

:lolk:

ivor_cornfield

I made the offer after speaking to the chap on the phone Thought I would lift a little after viewing but it defo had done more hours than recorded but still seemed a bloody good tractor.

A bit sick especially after a 340Mile round trip on Friday in a Defender!!!

but will keep looking as you say
    I too was tempted, but did'nt think the tractor was quite honest enough.

I was told it had had 4 owners, under 2k hrs seemed iffy though it did seem tidy in the further pics i was sent, but I didnt like the look of what appeard to be rear cab damage.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/John-Deere-4WD...item35ab1c29de

Fancy another trip! Nothing to do with me or any1 I know.

BOB1

Quote Originally Posted by ivor_cornfield View Post
    I too was tempted, but did'nt think the tractor was quite honest enough.

I was told it had had 4 owners, under 2k hrs seemed iffy though it did seem tidy in the further pics i was sent, but I didnt like the look of what appeard to be rear cab damage.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/John-Deere-4WD...item35ab1c29de

Fancy another trip! Nothing to do with me or any1 I know.
    I had spotted that one, might have a look down to Staffs this weekend!! Needs a bit off that price I think, depends how it looks in the flesh

I never noticed any cab damage on the one I viewed in Dunfermline, the Bloke told me there had only been one owner before him, The seller only had a bit small holding so he had done nothing with it for the last four years

Boothy

the 4350 thats on ebay seems moree genuine! used to use a 4250 on a mengele sh40 back when i was a nipper and it was awesome powershift box was good and they had the old 7.6lt waterloo engine which is one of the best engines made!!! give it a proper look could be an investment

braveheart

Cool Re: John Deere 4240S

see one listed in last weeks FW

BOB1

Quote Originally Posted by braveheart View Post
    see one listed in last weeks FW
    that one is rough 8000 Hours Linkage Arms allwelded up Tyres Shot 6800!!!

BOB1

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Bob View Post
    Bob1

If you are not set to buy it I am interested. I have been looking for a big 40 / 50 series for a while.

Good home in Cheshire awaits. Odd jobs, pulling a trailer etc. The odd tractor run.

Let me know.
    Did you not have a look at the one in Staffs 4350 Advertised in FW and on Ebay The guy sold before I got down to look, I reckon it would have been OK Early Bird Catches The Worm!!!

He offered it to Me for 7950

Irish Bob

No, I bought a 1130 (yes I know not really the same thing), I have been servicing that and getting the lights working etc.

I am still looking for the right big machine. I figure the right one will come along sooner or later.