Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Massey 35 4 cylinder....all nutters welcomed!

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    4

    Massey 35 4 cylinder....all nutters welcomed!

    I am writing this post after reading a post called "high speed massey tractor " or something like that....I could see some people had good ideas.

    Now my project involves using a massey ferguson 35 as a donor and a base. It will not be used as a tractor so any doo-gooders need not comment....sorry.

    I need ideas on how to make my tractor, using original gearbox casing and engine to go faster. I have seen that some people have a creeper gearbox...not sure if that's correct term to give a few more gears discreetly. I'll post a link below after. It gave few more gears to bring it down to slower crawling speed....but I'd like the opposite if anyone knows how.
    I will be converting it to have suspension and brakes on all wheels...and all 4 wheels will be 18 or 19 inch.

    Things I'm thinking can be done:
    That increased gears upgrade if possible.
    Final drive increased gearing
    Gearbox swap

    More ideas welcome

    Regards Ben

  2. #2
    Senior Member T P's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    The muddy edge of the biggest puddle in the uk
    Posts
    629

    Re: Massey 35 4 cylinder....all nutters welcomed!

    A neighbour has a modified 135 multipower that does over 50mph (eventually). I heard how it was done in the past but wasn't overly interested at the time but as far as I recall he had two gears swopped around.in the transmission. I will ask him more about the next time I see him which shouldn't be too long. I've seen it go past and it's definitely cable of crazy speeds. To be honest it looked like a suicide mission on tour.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    4

    Re: Massey 35 4 cylinder....all nutters welcomed!

    Much appreciated T_P. Ive almost sussed out how to make a inline 2 speed gearbox to fit between the clutch and main gearbox to activate it from tractor to road speed. Only need to work the last 2 cogs out, trial and error I'm guessing but would love to hear the modification he's done to it, I will be turbo'ing mine so fingers crossed that should help get to decent speed daily

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    4

    Re: Massey 35 4 cylinder....all nutters welcomed!

    Quote Originally Posted by T P View Post
    A neighbour has a modified 135 multipower that does over 50mph (eventually). I heard how it was done in the past but wasn't overly interested at the time but as far as I recall he had two gears swopped around.in the transmission. I will ask him more about the next time I see him which shouldn't be too long. I've seen it go past and it's definitely cable of crazy speeds. To be honest it looked like a suicide mission on tour.
    i would love to know more of what hes done when you can have a chat with him, im very interested, id love a top speed of 50 but cruising speed of 37-40 would be brilliant. he sounds more of a nutter than me

  5. #5
    Senior Member robbie956xl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Fermanagh. N. Ireland
    Posts
    105

    Re: Massey 35 4 cylinder....all nutters welcomed!

    Have you considered looking for a "Trantor".Maybe hard to find nowadays.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    4

    Re: Massey 35 4 cylinder....all nutters welcomed!

    Quote Originally Posted by robbie956xl View Post
    Have you considered looking for a "Trantor".Maybe hard to find nowadays.
    I'm guessing you haven't read my post properly...

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northumbrialand
    Posts
    1,254

    Re: Massey 35 4 cylinder....all nutters welcomed!

    Quote Originally Posted by Masseyrat View Post
    I am writing this post after reading a post called "high speed massey tractor " or something like that....I could see some people had good ideas.

    Now my project involves using a massey ferguson 35 as a donor and a base. It will not be used as a tractor so any doo-gooders need not comment....sorry.

    I need ideas on how to make my tractor, using original gearbox casing and engine to go faster. I have seen that some people have a creeper gearbox...not sure if that's correct term to give a few more gears discreetly. I'll post a link below after. It gave few more gears to bring it down to slower crawling speed....but I'd like the opposite if anyone knows how.
    I will be converting it to have suspension and brakes on all wheels...and all 4 wheels will be 18 or 19 inch.

    Things I'm thinking can be done:
    That increased gears upgrade if possible.
    Final drive increased gearing
    Gearbox swap


    Regards Ben
    Would you be as good as to post your rough location....nothing deadly accurate just to the nearest 100 miles will do.
    Just so as I can make a mental note to avoid the area.......
    Unless you have private roads in mind....

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    838

    Re: Massey 35 4 cylinder....all nutters welcomed!

    Quote Originally Posted by Gee View Post
    Would you be as good as to post your rough location....nothing deadly accurate just to the nearest 100 miles will do.
    Just so as I can make a mental note to avoid the area.......
    Unless you have private roads in mind....
    And make sure your will is up to date


    I believe Leylands are easier to do. I think (but I stand to be corrected ) all you need to do is put synchro half-shafts onto a 10-speed gearbox and you've created a lethal weapon.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    N Cornwall
    Posts
    113

    Re: Massey 35 4 cylinder....all nutters welcomed!



    'nough said!

  10. #10
    Senior Member T P's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    The muddy edge of the biggest puddle in the uk
    Posts
    629

    Re: Massey 35 4 cylinder....all nutters welcomed!

    I have spoken to the neighbour with the 60mph 135 and he tells me the main gearbox was rebuilt/modified for him by someone involved in the tractor pulling scene using some parts from an MF1200. I have the name of the man who did the rebuild but don't want to put it on a public forum. The neighbour with the 135 is intending doing the same thing to a bog standard 4cyl 35 to make it faster. he also said that fitting an MF65 box will get you about 35mph for very little hassle . If you PM me I will give you the phone number of the guy with the 135 and the name of the rebuilder. The former can put you in contact with the latter if necessary.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •