Thread: Case International E Reg 785XL 4 WD - Torque Amplifier Problem

Newtonmore, Cairngorms National Park, Scottish Highlands

Question Case International E Reg 785XL 4 WD - Torque Amplifier Problem

We just started using my dad's o;d tractor after it being laid up a few years and the TA leaver does not seem to work anymore and it free wheels down hill - does that mean it is in the fast or slow position and is there a fuse or something I need to find to make it work again - it used too last time I drove the tractor - also where are the fuses as the heater not working either - not had a chance to have a good look about yet - we changed filter and put a battery on and it fired up no bother - how long should you heat it in sub zero temps like we get in Highland Scotland at this time of year ??DSCF6866.JPGDSCF6865.JPGDSCF6863.JPG

Re: Case International E Reg 785XL 4 WD - Torque Amplifier Problem

Many years have passed since I got rid of my 885xl......mine was controlled by a lever, so no electrics involved....maybe you had a newer version with a switch ? If there's the correct amount of oil in the backend, and still not working....then it's more serious problems needing tractor split and TA locked up, or replaced IMO
    I think Gapples on here is the expert on these tractors ?

Yes Gapples and Richard W are the guys. Clarify for them whether or not you have a lever or a switch. Does it free wheel all the time or when low is selected? The fuse will be found by lifting the front/top dash cover (by releasing the catches either side at knee level) just behind the lower windscreen.

Quote Originally Posted by essexpete View Post
    Yes Gapples and Richard W are the guys. Clarify for them whether or not you have a lever or a switch. Does it free wheel all the time or when low is selected? The fuse will be found by lifting the front/top dash cover (by releasing the catches either side at knee level) just behind the lower windscreen.
    our old 885xl use to run away in high, we took the sprag clatch out & welded the gears ( so we now have no ta she is std 8 speed )

Assuming this is a Powershift with the electrical toggle switch on the dash and not an earlier Torque-Amplifier which is controlled by a lever/cable affair then checking the fuse first is a good start. They need 12v to power up the High speed.
    The shift solenoid in the transmission base-plate was not the most reliable and could stick either way.
    If you lie on the ground half way between the front and back look up at the bottom of the chassis (would have to drop the prop guard off) and right behind the centre prop bearings you will see a squarish looking plate about 12" x 9" and a ring of bolts around it. There is an electrical connector going to it as well. Just be sure to be sure that you got 12v coming down to it.

There is also a hydraulic test port in that base plate, but not sure if you have the means to check it.

If it runs away then it could be a failed sprag clutch on the Low side or a burnt pack on the High pack.

Have you got this sorted yet ?