Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wind Turbine Rent

Davie Fish

Wind Turbine Rent

Sorry if this has been discussed before but I couldn't find the info I was looking for.
    What would be the rental for sitting a single turbine not talller than 55m with the usual access rights ect. For a 30 year period.
    I think our site is pretty poor wind wise and am suprised they have aproached us. Even if we decided to go ahead it seems unlikely to get planning permission as Fife council have rejected most applications so far.

Cheers

Davie

beefmad

Re: Wind Turbine Rent

You can take share of income of 4% rising to 7% after 12 years or just straight rental of 4000 per mw.

domsmith

Quote Originally Posted by beefmad View Post
    You can take share of income of 4% rising to 7% after 12 years or just straight rental of 4000 per mw.
    Is that per m/w produced or rated? what would you expect a each turbine to generate financially?
    doesnt sound much!

johnny400

Was offered 7000 p/a for a 330kw

Oldmacdonald

"Was offered 7000 p/a for a 330kw"

That sounds more realistic. Last figure I heard quoted was 20,000 per MW.

BOB1

Quote Originally Posted by Oldmacdonald View Post

7000 per year for a 330KW machine Equates to about 21,000 per MW per year

beeker

this sounds like the same lot that were in at me last week. sounds like they're approaching everbody. sample contract i was given said 7k per turbine, 1-3 turbines per site

dont think i'll hold my breath waiting for it to happen:lolk:

NeilO

Quote Originally Posted by beeker View Post
    this sounds like the same lot that were in at me last week. sounds like they're approaching everbody. sample contract i was given said 7k per turbine, 1-3 turbines per site

dont think i'll hold my breath waiting for it to happen:lolk:
    Sounds like the same approach we had about 5 years ago. The site they identified was in the bottom of a shallow valley & not particularly windy. They reckoned they could make it pay as we were next to a 110kVA line and the connection infastructure would cost less, so they could work on lower ouputs.

They took it upon themselves to organise a public meeting, which surprisingly ddin't go down too badly (but then they did give the address of another farm as the site, 2 miles away). Never heard from them again and never followed it up (older generation very anti).

gazza

Quote Originally Posted by johnny400 View Post
    Was offered 7000 p/a for a 330kw
    i take 10 wind turbines, would keep me happy thats for sure

Archie

Quote Originally Posted by NeilO View Post
    Sounds like the same approach we had about 5 years ago. The site they identified was in the bottom of a shallow valley & not particularly windy. They reckoned they could make it pay as we were next to a 110kVA line and the connection infastructure would cost less, so they could work on lower ouputs.
    Was thinking along the same lines a couple of months back.
    Bottom of valley, 6m/s site at 30m high right next to 330kv substation and line. Enquired with a reputable company who's response was that while proximity to supply network and unobtrusive nature of site were ideal, the one thing you must have is wind and without that it is unlikely to stack up. They also said it was unlikely the wind speed would be as high as indicated by the wind speed grid reference database.

Davie Fish

what i can't understand is why they bother contacting people where they stand little chance of success or the sites are unsuitable.

4wd

It maybe something to with the way licences were dished out, that they are obliged to go through with a certain number of applications?
    Perhaps they don't want more installations at this time, which would explain the somewhat unsuitable locations.

its yourself

Best to ask for a % of gross revenue (make sure it is gross to take account of inflation etc) and aim for a minimum of 5%. Better still build them yourself.

martian

330 kW turbine approx 600,000 to buy and install including planning. With average wind of 6m/s it should yield 175,000 pa (including FITs etc)

Why let somebody else make the money. The bank will lend you the capital on these figures...

domsmith

Quote Originally Posted by martian View Post
    330 kW turbine approx 600,000 to buy and install including planning. With average wind of 6m/s it should yield 175,000 pa (including FITs etc)

Why let somebody else make the money. The bank will lend you the capital on these figures...
    Fascinating figures can you break them down so we can understand where the income come from?

dom

Davie Fish

I would guess you could set aside 100,000 and a couple of years to take iit through the planning process

Oldmacdonald

My figures.

Wind turbines in a good site will operate at 30% efficiency.

so, 330kW turbine x 24hours a day x 365 days per year = 2,890,800
    2,890,800 x 30% = 867,240 kWh per year.

Sale of electric (at least 3p per kWh) 867,240kWh x 3p = 26,017.20
    Feed in Tarriff (18.8p per kWh) 867,240kWh x 18.8p = 163,041.12
    GRAND TOTAL OF REVENUE PER YEAR...............................189,058.32

Then you can take off:
    maintenance (possibly 15,000 per year)
    interest costs
    rates (exempt meantime)

Oldmacdonald

Quote Originally Posted by Davie Fish View Post
    I would guess you could set aside 100,000 and a couple of years to take iit through the planning process
    Should get it through for under 50,000, in 1 year.

BOB1

Quote Originally Posted by domsmith View Post
    Fascinating figures can you break them down so we can understand where the income come from?

dom
    Dont think youll get a 330KW Turbine Purchased for that, then planning 15-20K, Cable Grid connection probably 50K, then around 160Cu M of Concrete for the Founds . I reckon 700K

If you had a little better windspeed say 6.5 - 7 M/S you would still manage to pay off the debt by Year 6 so still Feasable I suppose

Davie Fish

There has not been many sucessfull ones round here infact i don't know of any. They have all been knocked back, withdrawn the applications or are bogged down in the apeals process. And Fife council wants to encourage more renewables:lolk:

PRINGLES

Davie Fish,
    There is one "wind farm" with full consent for 9 turbines in Fife, these are BIG boys at that, 3Mw each.
    The applicants had very few objections from the local town, but we dont think that they get just how big the turbines will be. 100m to the hub and 45m blades.
    The construction company are starting in March'11 and hope to be generating by this time next year.

fermerboy

Quote Originally Posted by PRINGLES View Post
    Davie Fish,
    There is one "wind farm" with full consent for 9 turbines in Fife, these are BIG boys at that, 3Mw each.
    The applicants had very few objections from the local town, but we dont think that they get just how big the turbines will be. 100m to the hub and 45m blades.
    The construction company are starting in March'11 and hope to be generating by this time next year.
    Hi Pringles!

Our neighbours are going for 6 turbines the same, 3MW 100m to hub and 90m diameter rotor.

http://www.edintorewindfarm.co.uk/

These things are bloody massive, far bigger than anything else in the area, and we have a lot of windfarms not far off.
    Don't think folk have tigged just how big these are going to be.

They are at the pre-planning stage just now.

I kicked off a bit at the open day/display and have been getting the "we take your concerns seriously, our turbines aren't noisey, your new house build won't be devalued, the computer designed noise model can't be wrong, the human eye/mind can't tell the difference from a 75m high turbine and a 125m high turbine, load of f*****g bullshit" from them since.

This from a bunch who have 11 or 12 windfarm sites in Scotland and not one running turbine yet!!!
    So they obviously have first hand knowledge of it all!

Anybody stay near these?

http://www.communitywindpower.co.uk/...p?ProjectID=15

http://www.communitywindpower.co.uk/...p?ProjectID=14

These are the same turbine, going to take a little trip down to see them just to satisfy myself regarding size and noise.

Not against wind power at all, just think that bloody great turbines like that should be miles away from houses etc.

herd333

Quote Originally Posted by Oldmacdonald View Post

I heard 50k per annum for 3mw turbine.I suppose there will be a range of rents depending on access to grid,site, perceived ease of planning and predicted output.

its yourself

Quote Originally Posted by BOB1 View Post
    Dont think youll get a 330KW Turbine Purchased for that, then planning 15-20K, Cable Grid connection probably 50K, then around 160Cu M of Concrete for the Founds . I reckon 700K

If you had a little better windspeed say 6.5 - 7 M/S you would still manage to pay off the debt by Year 6 so still Feasable I suppose
    A 1 megawatt class turbine is only 1 million ish unless the grid is miles away so I think that is bit high. There is good competition now in that size bracket and prices are competitive between Enercon Vestas and now Gamesa. Better return on investment too.

its yourself

Quote Originally Posted by fermerboy View Post
    Hi Pringles!

Our neighbours are going for 6 turbines the same, 3MW 100m to hub and 90m diameter rotor.

These things are bloody massive, far bigger than anything else in the area, and we have a lot of windfarms not far off.

I kicked off a bit at the open day/display and have been getting the "we take your concerns seriously, our turbines aren't noisey, your new house build won't be devalued, the computer designed noise model can't be wrong, the human eye/mind can't tell the difference from a 75m high turbine and a 125m high turbine, load of f*****g bullshit" from them since.

This from a bunch who have 11 or 12 windfarm sites in Scotland and not one running turbine yet!!!

Anybody stay near these?

These are the same turbine, going to take a little trip down to see them just to satisfy myself regarding size and noise.

Not against wind power at all, just think that bloody great turbines like that should be miles away from houses etc.
    I do not think Edintore has settled the turbine type yet fermerboy. The Glens Dummuie site would be similar, lower blade tip height tho, but that tends to make them look smaller from a distance and Boyndie would have the Enercon turbines they might also use. A lot depends on what the planners say when they get hold of it.

Jack_Caley

Hi Pringles!

Anybody stay near these?

The first of those two projects you mention brings back memories for me. There was a pig farm at Aikengall, run by a really nice chap called John Macdonald. He had one of our mill/mixers. Way down at the end of a long narrow winding lane. I would have thought it was remote enough not to bother anyone.
    Om the subject of return, I do not believe the return offered by developers is good enough.
    Personally I think it better to try and develop just one turbine yourself, maybe involving local community to dispel opposition.
    At the East Riding Council meeting on Thursday, I was astonished for them to pass 5 turbines at Sancton by a big majority. They also passed modifications to our straw burning plant. They passed the wind turbines purely on the basis that they have resisted applications and lost on appeal with the attendent costs. So the English planning system is learning.
    Just how you go on ib Scotland with appeals I don,t know.
    Jack Caley

martian

Quote Originally Posted by Davie Fish View Post
    The advantage of a 330kW machine is that planning should be much simpler as you don't need an Environmental Impact Assessment (which would take at least a year and cost 100,000 and probably sink the project). In theory an normal planning application. There's a couple in the pipeline round here, I'll let you know how they go.

On returns, Old Macdonald perhaps a bit optimistic with 30% output as these smaller machines catch less wind than the taller ones. Enercon reckon on 799MWhr/yr at 6.1 m/s wind which would be worth 174,000 at 21.8p/unit (21.80/MW). Less rates, insurance, maintenance. 10 yr warranty, by which time it's paid for itself.

its yourself

Quote Originally Posted by martian View Post
    The advantage of a 330kW machine is that planning should be much simpler as you don't need an Environmental Impact Assessment (which would take at least a year and cost 100,000 and probably sink the project). In theory an normal planning application. There's a couple in the pipeline round here, I'll let you know how they go.

On returns, Old Macdonald perhaps a bit optimistic with 30% output as these smaller machines catch less wind than the taller ones. Enercon reckon on 799MWhr/yr at 6.1 m/s wind which would be worth 174,000 at 21.8p/unit (21.80/MW). Less rates, insurance, maintenance. 10 yr warranty, by which time it's paid for itself.

You do not always need an impact statement even for large turbines and even then it is not rocket science and 100K is much more than it should cost. Ours was around 10k.

fermerboy

Quote Originally Posted by its yourself View Post
    I do not think Edintore has settled the turbine type yet fermerboy. The Glens Dummuie site would be similar, lower blade tip height tho, but that tends to make them look smaller from a distance and Boyndie would have the Enercon turbines they might also use. A lot depends on what the planners say when they get hold of it.
    According to the two ladies who came to visit me from Vento Ludens to answer my queries they are going to be Vestas V90 3MW turbines.

Its deemed far more enviromentaly friendly to bang up 6 x 3MW than say 9 x 2MW in terms of infrasrtucture etc, and the higher the tower is the more efficient it is in relation to the extra cost required to build it.

These are 125m to tip of blade.

That would be assuming that the planning doesn't change anything.

They also reckon that Vestas are quieter than other brands, especially Siemans and early Enercon ones.

Doesn't really help me with my house site which is probably worth a good bit less if it goes ahead. :cry: :cry:

its yourself

According to the two ladies who came to visit me from Vento Ludens to answer my queries they are going to be Vestas V90 3MW turbines.

Its deemed far more enviromentaly friendly to bang up 6 x 3MW than say 9 x 2MW in terms of infrasrtucture etc, and the higher the tower is the more efficient it is in relation to the extra cost required to build it.

These are 125m to tip of blade.

That would be assuming that the planning doesn't change anything.

They also reckon that Vestas are quieter than other brands, especially Siemans and early Enercon ones.

Doesn't really help me with my house site which is probably worth a good bit less if it goes ahead. :cry: :cry:
    No one has a right to a site value fermerboy, things can go down as well as up, all those folk next to developments of all kinds just have to suck it up and get used to it. Life is unfair and all that. Why not change the site to a turbine instead of a house?