Thread: Air source heating

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Air source heating

Just bought myself a new house and it has air source heat pump, as far as I can make out it's approximately 14 years old and the previous tenant said it's inadequate to heat he house and the hot water is Luke warm. Anybody had any experience with them? Do I bother spending money getting it fixed up or do I just forget about the air source and get a proper oil boiler in?
    "At the end of the day, I think it's going to get very dark."

Re: Air source heating

Quote Originally Posted by Quattromike View Post
    Just bought myself a new house and it has air source heat pump, as far as I can make out it's approximately 14 years old and the previous tenant said it's inadequate to heat he house and the hot water is Luke warm. Anybody had any experience with them? Do I bother spending money getting it fixed up or do I just forget about the air source and get a proper oil boiler in?
    Is it coupled up to an old Rad type heating system?
    I understand there is a limit to the max temp that can be achieved with air or ground source.....so you really need to be using underfloor heating etc.

The system has been in for approx 14 years and there is no underfloor heating system just radiators. Everything I look up seems to lead to there are almost adequate if everything is setup right but if not it just costs you money in electricity to run the compressor.

Quote Originally Posted by Quattromike View Post
    The system has been in for approx 14 years and there is no underfloor heating system just radiators. Everything I look up seems to lead to there are almost adequate if everything is setup right but if not it just costs you money in electricity to run the compressor.
    Hmmm
    From what I gleaned a year of two ago when comparing Biomass boiler with Underground....air source etc.......Biomass just provides heat ....as much as you want and probably more.
    Ground and Airsource need a purpose built building, solid floors with loads of insulation underneath the an underfloor heating system. This allows you to build up a heat store within the floor.....effectively virtually no heat loss due to the insulation and a small amount of heat being pumped in 24 hrs a day.....over time temp rises to let's say to a comfort level. Radiators will provide virtually nil heat store.
    More and more the need for a small turbine + some solar panels etc to generate some electricity to power the pump / Compressor and glean some income for generation from RHI etc becomes apparent......but costs escalate hugely.

I've convinced myself I'm fitting an oil boiler but the question is do I keep what is already there which does produce luke warm water and use the boiler to boost this and potentially save a bit of oil or do I rip it out and fit the boiler only and potentially save on a complicated system that combines the two. Ill need to speak with my plumber in the new year about it but always best to get as much opinions on it

Wondered about that......surely the return temp of the water from rads to the boiler will be higher than the temp from the air source unit.
    Would it be possible to use it to heat DHW only, possibly enlarging the hot water cylinder storage to allow for exploiting day time air temps. Or in anther way pre heating / warming the water that enters the DHW cylinder thus reducing the oil consumption? Probably not a huge saving......would it perhaps provide hot water during the summer? Thus saving some summer time oil.....I suspect that if oil was 75p / 1 per litre the topic would be viewed in a rather different way.