Thread: Where did they go wrong?

wheeler dealer

Where did they go wrong?

Cornwall farmers have today announced the sale of their Machinery division to two Devon JD dealers.The question is where did CFL go wrong?

Dieselross

Re: Where did they go wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by wheeler dealer View Post
    Cornwall farmers have today announced the sale of their Machinery division to two Devon JD dealers.The question is where did CFL go wrong?

Former CEO

DR

Dalers

Thats a real shame I hope that all the blokes can keep their jobs.
    So is it Masons & Smallbridge taking over?
    I hope this sorts CFL out as it's a good firm and a lot of effort has been put into it by some really good people to try & straight it all out.

wheeler dealer

Its Smallridge and Coles.All the staff are taken on although I can think of one Salesman they could get rid off!!

An Gof

Unbelievable, previous CEO was a disaster guess none of us knew just how deep in the pooh they were in.

Dieselross

Quote Originally Posted by An Gof View Post
    Unbelievable, previous CEO was a disaster guess none of us knew just how deep in the pooh they were in.
    Think last weeks "sale" was a fair sign just how bad things were.

DR

wheeler dealer

Its a shame they are a good traditional Merchant with a very loyal following.The Machinery business has been run badly for a number of years in my humble opinion.

An Gof

Quote Originally Posted by Dalers View Post
    Thats a real shame I hope that all the blokes can keep their jobs.
    So is it Masons & Smallbridge taking over?
    I hope this sorts CFL out as it's a good firm and a lot of effort has been put into it by some really good people to try & straight it all out.
    For many years the machinery division was the jewel in the crown. Now what have CFL got left? They have liquidated what they can and are running out of places to go. I appreciate that some have a huge burden placed upon them in trying to save an apparently very difficult situation. However some of those people are the very ones that made the appointment that started the rot.
    Would be interested to know if JD forced their hand

Farmer Piles

Have to admit that when they announced their machinery sale alarm bells rang. You would think that with their network of branches, customer loyalty - not least as we are all shareholders - and a great product that it would be almost impossible to fail. Hmm!

Makes you realise that there must have been some particularly bad decisions made at the top. Perhaps as shareholders we need to get our backsides into gear and go to the AGM and ask searching questions to get some answers as to exactly what went wrong. If Alan Snow, TFM and Truro Tractors have all been able to expand over recent years, then it would suggest that the market is out there.

That said, it just a real shame both for staff and customers.

Cowabunga

Quote Originally Posted by Farmer Piles View Post
    If Alan Snow, TFM and Truro Tractors have all been able to expand over recent years, then it would suggest that the market is out there.
    Notwithstanding the size of a business, what counts is the profitability and cost control. The greater the rate of expansion, the greater the potential strain on cash-flow.

If anyone has a great money-making idea, you can be sure it will involve sales to a market that is expanding, that pays up-front for goods before it leaves the premises, has an on-going guaranteed monthly income generation, and one that does not involve buying used stuff back into stock in part-exchange.
    The next 'mobile phone' is.............................

Answers on a postcard please, and no comedians need mention selling farm machinery.

joe soapy

hear there have been some devlopements on the mach sale

Agrotron150.7

heard a couple of days ago that coles have pulled out but smallridge are still up for a deal

Maico490

Cashed CFL shares in yesterday as decided not worth the risk anymore.

Dieselross

Quote Originally Posted by Maico490 View Post
    Cashed CFL shares in yesterday as decided not worth the risk anymore.
    Think they'll regret the 1st press release....how do you put it...it sounds like the original deal has gone "boobies up".

DR

Ps you were lucky to get them out

dealer dave

john deere sold well through the nineties and into the millenium, john deere have lost it in cornwall/devon , just take a look at the amount of fendts now compared to ten years ago , until john deere get there product right again dealers will suffer , the salesman they had knew the writing on wall with john deere so jumped ship to fendt/massey and won fendt salesman of year !

Dieselross

Quote Originally Posted by dealer dave View Post
    john deere sold well through the nineties and into the millenium, john deere have lost it in cornwall/devon , just take a look at the amount of fendts now compared to ten years ago , until john deere get there product right again dealers will suffer , the salesman they had knew the writing on wall with john deere so jumped ship to fendt/massey and won fendt salesman of year !

It was all about the "team" the ex machinery manager had put together..they all pulled in the same direction and genuinely gave a shite about the product & the customers.

Along comes a CEO who was an accountant, who didnt understand the machinery market and the rest is history :cry:.

DR

dealer dave

very diplomatic of you dieselross !!

Dieselross

Quote Originally Posted by dealer dave View Post
    very diplomatic of you dieselross !!
    Wait till I do my autobiography!

DR

st piran

Looks like another nail in the CFL coffin. Cancelled our blend order today after learning that yet another rep/nutritionalist has gone and there is very little if any nutritional backup left! Been loyal to them for as long as i can remember but I really can't see where messers Birch and Co are taking apart from receivership.:cry: