Thread: Agrilight

Cow tales

Agrilight

Just wondering what type of lighting to put into a new cubicle shed.

The cheap and cheerful route sounds good with low energy lighting, as we have in our existing cow shed, but went to see a guy who milks through a Lely robot and swears by his agrilights. They glow red at night, something to do with the cows biorythm, and provide plenty of lux to apparently reap benefits of better herd fertility?! He said they were pricey but were well worth the expense. If i'm going to install Wilson cubicles and mats at extra cost to create a good cow environment why should I cut corners on lighting, isn't this just as important?

Anybody got any opinions and prices? Ta.

bauldy

Re: Agrilight

When I built my new shed last year I looked closely at lighting options and the agrilight is as good as it gets. I got a good quote from Cowcare Systems from Ireland. I did'nt buy them because I could'nt justify the cost. I don't think extra lux will solve underlying infertility in dairy cows ,it may help but how do you quantify it !
    In poultry and pig shed the lighting is controlled so why not in dairy sheds ! I can't argue against that fact. I just could'nt bring myself to spend that money !

dragon farmer

have a look metalhalide its the bulbs give off a bright white light good for working in, I would say 150w metal halide = 10 x 100w bulbs, also economical to enstall because the more light the bulb emits the less fitting you need.
    df

Exfarmer

Quote Originally Posted by Cow tales View Post
    Just wondering what type of lighting to put into a new cubicle shed.

The cheap and cheerful route sounds good with low energy lighting, as we have in our existing cow shed, but went to see a guy who milks through a Lely robot and swears by his agrilights. They glow red at night, something to do with the cows biorythm, and provide plenty of lux to apparently reap benefits of better herd fertility?! He said they were pricey but were well worth the expense. If i'm going to install Wilson cubicles and mats at extra cost to create a good cow environment why should I cut corners on lighting, isn't this just as important?

Anybody got any opinions and prices? Ta.
    I would be interested if cows can see the red spectrum
    Rather like gamekeepers like to use a red light for shooting foxes
    Cows certainly appreciate a low back ground light during the night but it is notr neccessary to be as high a level as ytou require for working in
    I have no experience of Robotic milking though. I strongly suepct htey will work in the dark

Reggie Hammond

I install 5ft twin fluorescent weatherproof lights in all my sheds which do a hell of a job at lighting it up no matter what part of the shed you are in.

Because my sheds are open at the side in which the cows eat out of the trough, the outside 70w sodium lamps manages to glare into the shed which is perfect during the night. Enough to see where you are going in the shed and perfect for the cows to sleep at night.

My new shed is to be wired yet so I might look into these agrilight lights. Can anyone tell me the price of them or have a price list. If its a case of these lights using a red light at night then I bet I could find a cheaper alternative and do the same thing.

Toshak

How many people on here, leave lights on in your cattle sheds, overnight?

In my case, I never, ever leave a light on. No matter the circumstances. Even in a small calving shed. Lights out once the cow has calved. Leave them on before she calves, so I can peek in the window and see the story.

Every one of my neighbours are lit up like Old Trafford on match night!
    One guy, leaves a radio on in the shed, 24 / 7 during housing season.

I always think if I had eyes as big as my Charlies, I wouldn't have lights in the house, never mind in the shed

daven

When we bought our place, I went through and replaced every light bulb fixture with a 3ft florescent tube because I hate not being able to see. In the barn, 1 tube replaced 3 light bulbs. 10 years and haven't replaced a tube. No cows, but put a timer on the one in the chicken house and had eggs year round. I bought the uncovered fixtures the local building supply had on sale for 3 euro including light tube. Can turn all lights on on the place and use as much electricity as a couple of the old 100 watt bulbs.

Dave

Cow tales

Funny how every farm is always different! Some have sheds lit up like a christmas tree others have no lights on at all!
    An old college friend of mine built a new 200 cow shed which happened to be right next to a very busy A road which then led straight onto a motorway slip road. He lit the shed up so well that people thought it was a 24/7 Shell garage! It didn't take him long to remove every other strip light.
    Will get a quote for the agrilight this week and see how it compares to double flourescent tubes.

KERMIT

Quoted £3500 approx for 8, 400w h.p.s. lights, fitted with time switch etc.
    Told this would provide 200 lux for 130 cow cubicle shed.
    Lights available for about £50 each on e-bay!

Reggie Hammond

£3500 to light a shed for 130 cows with 8 x 400w h.p.s. lights? That is madness. 400w lights is stupid.

COWCARE SYSTEMS

Quote Originally Posted by Reggie Hammond View Post
    £3500 to light a shed for 130 cows with 8 x 400w h.p.s. lights? That is madness. 400w lights is stupid.
    The Agrilight AL2007 400watt HPS fixture is the most energy efficient fitting on the market producing 142 Lumens per watt of electricity compare this with a florescent fitting at around 80 lumens per watt. When you want to achieve high light levels in your shed you require you subsequently increase your power requirements.

Please bear in mind that lighting is an exact science, Itís not as simple as fitting a few lights in your shed.

There are three figures that you need to abide by to achieve the gains of this system.
    1st. Average light level - 200Lux
    2nd. Minimum light level - 150 lux
    3rd. Maximum light level of 300 lux preferably 250.

As you can see more important than the average light level is the min & max levels. Less than 150lux and the system will not provide the advantages that you expect as the levels of Melatonin are no longer reducing. Over 300 lux and the system also reduces its efficiencies and increases the electricity wastage.

The main reason that the Agrilight system is so successful is the simple fact that this is why the fixture was designed. It has no other uses in any other Industry unlike most fixtures that are openly sold on the market that are designed for warehouse lighting where you require more concentrated spot light lighting directed down to the floor.

One other major point to remember in selecting light fixtures is that under current regulations any fixture installed in a livestock building must be IP54 rated.

Fergieman

Has anyone fitted the Agrilight system and what are your thoughts on it?

BigW

We have it in a youngstock building, dont really have the daylights on but use the night lights the whole time. Happy with it and will eventually put it in the cows sheds.

Newholland

we have 14 agrilights for a dairy cubicle shed, bought from the uk dealer. They are expenisve at about £400 each light , but:

They are the best quality you can find - cast aluminum, water proof etc - you can not comopare to £50 of ebay!

They do a brilliant job and we would fit them again despite the cost.