Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silage and shear grabs

4wd

Silage and shear grabs

Got a new shear grab for tractor loader this year, usually do self feed and just remove a bit from above cow reach with bobcat loader.
    This time the plan is to drop 2 or 3 blocks into each ring feeder.
    I seem to be struggling a bit to do this efficiently.

For a start it's hard to judge how much is in each chunk, and I seem to be dropping more little bits round the yard than I'd like too.
    It cuts cleanly but I get tearing around the bottom edge as I lift out,
    Have seen very neat faces on other clamps but mine does not look like that (!)
    Hopefully it will be better as I get into greater depth further in.
    First bit is 'ramp' up the heap and seems unevenly consolidated which doesn't help.

Any tips or advice welcome...

robbie c

Re: Silage and shear grabs

a few tips from my own experience,
    1. keep blades sharp,
    2.only cut every 2nd block,(ie.skip the width of the grab) if you dont it puts to much pressure on one side of the grab.
    3. dont be to greddy with the dept you put the forks in, just the height of the grabs back plate is enough.
    4.as you put the grab into the silage pit fully, tilt the fork slightly downwards and apply some weight onto the loader,
    5.as you close the grab to cut, open and close it a few times, this will aid it to cut most of the way down,
    6. you will always have 5 or 6 inches at the bottom that doesnt cut, what i do is cut it when i get down to the next level.
    7. as for the bits that fall off i shake the grab a few times at the pit.

if your silage is cut by a self propelled it will be harder to cut clean as the grass is cut so short and the blower tends to mush up the silage the grab is more likly to tare at the face,...
    hope this is some help to you.......

hilly bill

Quote Originally Posted by 4wd View Post
    Got a new shear grab for tractor loader this year, usually do self feed and just remove a bit from above cow reach with bobcat loader.

For a start it's hard to judge how much is in each chunk, and I seem to be dropping more little bits round the yard than I'd like too.
    First bit is 'ramp' up the heap and seems unevenly consolidated which doesn't help.

Ive a redrock and find the same as you , i have tried everything over the years , you see these imaculate faces in magazines etc i just dont know the life of me how they do that ?

davidroberts30

Quote Originally Posted by robbie c View Post
    a few tips from my own experience,
    1. keep blades sharp,
    2.only cut every 2nd block,(ie.skip the width of the grab) if you dont it puts to much pressure on one side of the grab.
    3. dont be to greddy with the dept you put the forks in, just the height of the grabs back plate is enough.
    4.as you put the grab into the silage pit fully, tilt the fork slightly downwards and apply some weight onto the loader,
    5.as you close the grab to cut, open and close it a few times, this will aid it to cut most of the way down,
    6. you will always have 5 or 6 inches at the bottom that doesnt cut, what i do is cut it when i get down to the next level.
    7. as for the bits that fall off i shake the grab a few times at the pit.

if your silage is cut by a self propelled it will be harder to cut clean as the grass is cut so short and the blower tends to mush up the silage the grab is more likly to tare at the face,...
    hope this is some help to you.......
    change your contractor then or cut in the dry

sharp blade and cut the tear out when cutting the block underneath

i've never had problems working from 1 side to another,if your that worried about it cut left to right this week then right to left next week

you dont need to fill the grab as full as you can and keep the tines tight

davidroberts30

Quote Originally Posted by 4wd View Post

is there a good oilflow/pressure into the grab
    mine closes in about 4-5seconds on our sanderson
    used to drive a 7610 with loader and that was painfully slow and not enough pressure so you had to open and close the grab to get it to cut all the way through and it left the face looking untidy

robbie c

Quote Originally Posted by davidroberts30 View Post
    change your contractor then or cut in the dry

sharp blade and cut the tear out when cutting the block underneath

i've never had problems working from 1 side to another,if your that worried about it cut left to right this week then right to left next week

you dont need to fill the grab as full as you can and keep the tines tight
    we cut ours with a jf , got contractors in a few times to ease the workload and always get it harder to get the sheargrab to cut as clean, perhaps the clamp aint packed enough while its been built, neighbour has had the same problem as well. have had 3 different grabs in the past and the all do the same, also if you have industrial loader its makes it easier or a large tractor and loader with a good pump,

Khan

1. Keep the grab sharp by sharpening with a hand file, an angle grinder will heat the edge too much and lose the temper
    2. Never try to take too much height wise, it makes it difficult to get out particularly when parking in a feed passage
    3. I always lift slightly before I back out, its stops the blades tearing on the way out
    4. If dropping into round feeders I put the grab right in and tip it down before opening the grab. As the grab opens it cleaves the block of silage in two and it falls "in" on itself and breaks open much more easily. Also stops a big slab of silage shunting the round feeder across the yard
    5. Does your loader power down? It makes it a lot easier to keep the weight on the blade when cutting

davidroberts30

Quote Originally Posted by Khan View Post
    1. Keep the grab sharp by sharpening with a hand file, an angle grinder will heat the edge too much and lose the temper
    2. Never try to take too much height wise, it makes it difficult to get out particularly when parking in a feed passage
    3. I always lift slightly before I back out, its stops the blades tearing on the way out
    4. If dropping into round feeders I put the grab right in and tip it down before opening the grab. As the grab opens it cleaves the block of silage in two and it falls "in" on itself and breaks open much more easily. Also stops a big slab of silage shunting the round feeder across the yard
    5. Does your loader power down? It makes it a lot easier to keep the weight on the blade when cutting
    go into the silage with the tines pointed slightly down

4wd

Some good tips already thanks.
    The actual cutting isn't bad at all and *sometimes* it comes out cleanly, i do think things will improve as i get further into the heap.
    It's done with contractor's self propelled and is rather short and dry this year too. This is why bits seem to be trickling out here and there especially if it's windy!

davidroberts30

also a new grab with new paint on it wont be as good untill the paint wears off a bit

hilly bill

I sharpen mine with a flap wheel on a grinder

davidroberts30

Quote Originally Posted by hilly bill View Post
    I sharpen mine with a flap wheel on a grinder
    i use a belt sander

Glenn49801

we cut left to right with a 4fter
    dont be greedy with the height of the cut.
    after you've started the cut keep your foot on the clutch and your right foot off the brake.
    after cut complete lift grab slightly and turn your wheels so the grab moves away from the shelf when you reverse away. that way you dont nudge the face to your side.

organic guy

I insist the block cutter is openned flat above the ring then when fully open the cutter is tilted and the block slides in in one go.
    Muppet working for me last year tipped the cutter then openned it, block slid against cutter and jammed so he shook it and then chopped up most of my rings

4wd

I find straw on top encourages rats, we have the woven covers with tyres round the outside so the wind can't lift it.

JD_Kid

just buy a grab a lot cheeper heaps faster and more use had a shear grab on a tractor years ago best move i ever made selling it ..

JTFF

What is this fasination with shear grabs, overrated in my opinion?!Never used a shear grap,just a normal grab, closes in a couple of second without any strain on the machine. Never had problems with the clamp face heating up either.

Acorn

Must be doing somthing wrong. My sheargrab (Grays) is a 1999 model bought brand new and I have NEVER had to sharpen it. The blade is like a razor!

Acorn

davidroberts30

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Must be doing somthing wrong. My sheargrab (Grays) is a 1999 model bought brand new and I have NEVER had to sharpen it. The blade is like a razor!

Acorn
    do you have a "dad" driving yours sometimes

Acorn

NO.

Newholland

throw the shear grab away and buy a triolet block cutter!.....it will leave the silage face like a lawn and has loads more cappacity.

davidroberts30

Quote Originally Posted by Newholland View Post
    throw the shear grab away and buy a triolet block cutter!.....it will leave the silage face like a lawn and has loads more cappacity.
    linky linky

Stu

Quote Originally Posted by Newholland View Post
    Found this when I searched google for 'Triolet', http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWGGlZcKb40
    Now thats what a call a blade .

Big Ted

I wonder what did this ?

JD_Kid

ted how wide is that face ?? and how much is taken out per day ??

if say at least 1/2 taken each day a simple grab wins hands down used to feed out close to 90 cube meters per day on one place here

also selling 100 odd ton a week out of pits a fella come along with a shear grab said he would get more in a truck etc etc he only loaded it once took too long and in the end did not get an more in to trucks

Mayo

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ted View Post
    I wonder what did this ?
    Serrated reciprocating blade. Used commonly on the continent.

4wd

My clamp would soom resemble a steaming muck heap if I just tore chunks with the normal grab.
    Might work OK for some depending on rate of use, width of face.

Cowabunga

It puzzles me that so many people advise to sharpen the blades. In 20 years of using two McHale shear grabs I have never had to sharpen a knife as it is self sharpening to the extent that you could probably shave with it.
    I have another Twose unit that does need sharpening right enough. So get the right kit to start with.

JD_Kid

think you have seen too many cowboys useing grabs if the face is that untidy 4WD

the guys that used to buy silage of us were all dutch dairy farmers looking at the face of the pit they use to laugh and joke about how the euros fell in love with shear grabs based on tests the shear grab makers did ..

i have seen a test done in OZ and the diffrence between them is not alot if both used right

Newholland

Big ted.....Think I regonise those pictures.....was it your old block cutter which we bought!