Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Silage and shear grabs

Big Ted

Re: Silage and shear grabs

Quote Originally Posted by JD_Kid View Post
    ted how wide is that face ?? and how much is taken out per day ??
    Hi JD, the face is 90 ft wide,the cows are fed every 4 -5 days which will be twice accross the face at three blocks deep when the pit is at its deepest

Big Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Newholland View Post
    Big ted.....Think I regonise those pictures.....was it your old block cutter which we bought!
    right cutter, wrong person, I am the one that use's it, spoke to you about it with chris's mechanic, how's the old girl going ?

Courier

Quote Originally Posted by 4wd View Post
    My clamp would soom resemble a steaming muck heap if I just tore chunks with the normal grab.
    Might work OK for some depending on rate of use, width of face.
    The trick is to go in with the tines level then close the grab but do NOT lift the chunk you are going to remove , simply rotate the grab forwards and you will not loosen the face to let lots of air in.

John_F

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ted View Post
    Hi JD, the face is 90 ft wide,the cows are fed every 4 -5 days which will be twice accross the face at three blocks deep when the pit is at its deepest
    some weight in a block of silage id imagne

CrevisbigX

Blades keep sharp when working on a shear grab never been sharpen manage to slip and cut my thumb off

Newholland

Good to know who you are Big Ted, aye she is powering through silage 100%. we got a new valve direct from holland, welded up the cracks in knives and shes like a new one! However we do have to take our moffet loader tractor very steady with a full block when cutting high up in the clamp!

It does take a of learning to keep the clamp face going square down the pit!

give me a shout when you new one is ready for 2nd hand resale in a few years time

wellingtonfarmer1

does anybody use a shear bucket? was thinking about gettting one as would make loading feeder a lot easier save dropping grab off all the time?

what do they push into the grass clamps ok? it would stop maize dropping through...

Newholland

Have not posted a picture before, but hope this shows a photo of our block cutter this morning....

cowpat

Hi new holland, how is the block cutter going?
    Im Thinking of getting one