Thread: Kidd flat roll required.

Kidd flat roll required.

Looking for a concrete filled Kidd flat roll. 8ft ideally but would consider others. A Grays flat roll would also do if it was the large diameter ones that hold more water than the normal 30" flat rolls do.
    Last edited by zaza; 01-01-17 at 09:28 PM.

Re: Kidd flat roll required.

If it's just a question of weight, some of the newer types might be worth a look. We have a Watson which has barrels made from 25mm plate (as opposed to the usual 5 or 6mm) and it weighs about 2t before we even put the water in.

Thanks for that. Yes, it is just a question of weight. When I used to have to move a roll around I was happy with a water filled one but now I'm all up in one place I would prefer something a bit heavier. I have used a Kidd many times and always thought what a decent bit of kit they were. I had wondered about the thickness of the steel and if anyone used something a bit thicker than normal. Grays go about it a different way by offering different diameter barrels. Does your Watson have wooden blocks for bearings or pillow block like the Kidds used to ?

Thanks again.

It has wooden blocks, but looking at the website I see they now use nylon blocks. I also notice they only seem to go up to 20mm now. Maybe there wasn't much demand for 25mm, I don't imagine they'd be cheap with that much steel in them . We got ours s/h out of a local dealers yard at very handy money. I don't think he noticed just what it was.
    Ours is 36" diameter but I see they go up to 42" in 18mm steel.
    The ring hitch has been a revelation. So much so, we cut the drawbar off the twose at the other farm and welded on one from a scrap feed trailer. Apart from the obvious benefit, it pushes/pulls the back of the tractor sideways much less when turning on slopes.

http://www.walter-watson.co.uk/admin...s/a4roller.pdf

I wonder if they cut down from 25mm to 20mm because the 25mm the plate was starting to come apart ? There was a flat roll on eBay recently where one of the photos. went out of it's way to show a parting of the steel plate that made up the drum. When they get to that sort of thickness are they actually two drums, one rolled slightly smaller than the other and then placed inside the larger one and welded. It seems a mammoth task to roll 25mm steel into the shape of a drum but then I know nothing about what can and can't be done within the steel industry.

No, it's definitely just one piece of steel plate. You can still see the marks of the plasma cutter on the ends of the drum.

That's interesting. Presumably they would roll steel that thick when it was still red hot ? Maybe the drum is made up of strips, say 2 ft wide that are wound round in a spiral like some gas pipes are ?

EDIT. Errrr - I don't think rolling is a problem !!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcrkLQoBLBs

Interesting video. If you knew a place that did that it probably wouldn't be that hard to build a roller to your own spec.

You're right about spiral rolled drums, though. I have seen them like that. I think my cousin has one.

We had a gas line go through our locaility many years ago and I have a friend who obtained a bit of pipe and made his own. Filled the two halves with concrete and a decent bearing at each end and it's still going strong. I have a few friends who have Kidd concrete rolls and like most things that company made the rolls have stood the test of time. There are some Kidd 6ft ones on fleabay at the moment but it is just one cylinder and not wide enough to get the job done. They wouldn't roll wheel marks out when rolling seedbeds, especially when turning.

Quote Originally Posted by zaza View Post
    There are some Kidd 6ft ones on fleabay at the moment but it is just one cylinder and not wide enough to get the job done. They wouldn't roll wheel marks out when rolling seedbeds, especially when turning.
    Maybe you could make a tandem set out of two of them

Quote Originally Posted by MC130 View Post
    Maybe you could make a tandem set out of two of them
    I confess to never having thought about that but they are quite a distance away and that would cost to get them back. Too heavy for the Ifor I think. Farols have got an 8ft one but I think it's seen better days.