Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One for the grass men !

mud

One for the grass men !

Been a wee bit busy this past summer !

Johnny Class

Re: One for the grass men !

Interesting, looks close spacing on those discs, more pics?

Jim Bullock

Are we seeing the latest offering from the genuine Sam Moore?

BSH

looks interesting

cozzie

looks like a few little changes for the photo, carrying allot of extra weight, 3 point linkage machine and change in consolidationm, anything else, how does it go?

Ó hÉidin

Quote Originally Posted by cozzie View Post
    looks like a few little changes for the photo, carrying allot of extra weight, 3 point linkage machine and change in consolidationm, anything else, how does it go?
    is there any need for that much penetration?

looks good, but a trailed option gives 100hp tractors more of a chance.

mud

Out and out grass/small seeds drill

32 rows 90 mm row space thats 3 1/2" in old money

Weighs 2000kg without ballast, then an additional 1000kg ballast as standard equipment, but this is removable in 50 kg sections, not always needed, but there are times when some of it or all of it is, and option to add even more if necessary.

Have run it grand, with a 4 pot with full set of weights at full 3000kgs. Shes quite short, and ballast weights are well forward, on 3 point linkage, its very quick and convenient on the ends.

Have to say, its really aimed at the contractor, with the 6 pot 150, will need a lot of acres to justify the cost of nearly double the rows of a standard 3 metre...........

As you can imagine, there's nothing hit and miss, and the seed is actually placed IN the soil !

Will be at Lamma

Cheers

Glenn49801

so how has it performed in grass stubble and ploughed ground?

is there an advantage to bury grass seed?

Willscale

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn49801 View Post

is there an advantage to bury grass seed?
    Yes more reliable germination

greymaus

1st picture, grass seems a bit long..

Ó hÉidin

its great to have another option, but i think all the time are we right??

we now have a grassland subsoiler, a set of folding rolls, and a slitter, all of which should be equipped with a small seed hopper, so too should a set of grass harrows, if we ever go there . . . i think it'll have to be a front linkage mount, which is not particularly desireable.

then you have the guys who insist on a deep plough for reseed, then really you need a grass box on the power harrow.

we already have a moore 3m box drill, so, where to next??

you have the guttler green master, eibcok grass star, kockerling grasmaster, now a moore offering, each of which have features i like, but none the complete item.

don't get me wrong but its good to see innovation in this sector!!

Barleycorn

P'raps I'm old fashioned but it seems a bit overkill to have that big hopper and pneumatic metering on such a narrow drill. I would have thought a conventional full width box with gravity metering would have done the job more simply.

tractorbob

Quote Originally Posted by Barleycorn View Post
    P'raps I'm old fashioned but it seems a bit overkill to have that big hopper and pneumatic metering on such a narrow drill. I would have thought a conventional full width box with gravity metering would have done the job more simply.

Like this??

mbsrhol

Quote Originally Posted by Willscale View Post
    Yes more reliable germination
    It is very easy to bury grass seed too deep. The guttler will aggressively close the slot. I find with the Moore even where the slot isnt closed it is humid enough to germinate grass seed, and it is not buried too deep to emerge.

Barleycorn

Quote Originally Posted by tractorbob View Post
    Like this??
    Is that grain / fert / and grass seed, just like the old Massey 30, or perhaps the 130 with the direct drilling?
    Do you know if they sell the grass seed box seperately? I've been looking for a 4m one to put on my Moore for ages.

tractorbob

Is that grain / fert / and grass seed, just like the old Massey 30, or perhaps the 130 with the direct drilling?
    Do you know if they sell the grass seed box seperately? I've been looking for a 4m one to put on my Moore for ages.
    You can put anything into the 2 boxes - but we dont really recommend fert - especially for direct drilling grass seed into existing sward without burnig off - the fert stimulates the old grass and doesn't do the machine any good. Grass in 1 box, clover in the other, rape/kale/turnip/slug pellets, or just fill both boxes with grass seed to give more range? There is only one size available which is just under 3m so cant really help with your 4m request?

JD_Kid

box's on those drills both the same barley corn depends on row spaceing you want some have a 23 run drop spread the hoses out evenly over 4 meters with a spreader plate to spread the seed would work ..only thing would be working out the seeding rate for the wider drill need it to drop a 1/3 more IE say you are sowing 30 Kg a Ha and setting the drill on 3 meter gives you an amount of 30 grams you need to speed it up to 40 grams to still get 30 Kg per Ha or you would end up sowing a 1/4 less than what you need ..

Johnny Class

Quote Originally Posted by mud View Post
    Been a wee bit busy this past summer !
    What will the price tag be for one of these?

Willscale

Quote Originally Posted by mbsrhol View Post
    It is very easy to bury grass seed too deep. The guttler will aggressively close the slot. I find with the Moore even where the slot isnt closed it is humid enough to germinate grass seed, and it is not buried too deep to emerge.
    yeah i took the OP to be asking the advantage of burying compared to say einbocking which is surface applied. The former gives better germination reliability but obviously in this case bury means about 1/2" max or less.

mbsrhol

Quote Originally Posted by Willscale View Post
    yeah i took the OP to be asking the advantage of burying compared to say einbocking which is surface applied. The former gives better germination reliability but obviously in this case bury means about 1/2" max or less.
    Yes, I agree with you on einbocking!

mud

imagine being a contractor, arriving at the farm with a gravity box , and being given 7 acres worth of kale/forage rape seed to drill 7 acres of kale............or 10 acres of clover to stitch into 10 acres of grass stubble.....

JD_Kid

HAHAHA mud years ago i went to a place to drill 2 small paddocks about 1 Ha each one fella come out with a 2 Lt ice cream container full of seed for one of the blocks ,,, i used to clean more than that out as dregs from my drill so go about 100 meters stop out with paint brush move seed around drill brush drill brush if he had said what he was drilling i had 20 Kg's of the same stuff at home

the 1/2 inch max is only covering not hard to drill 2 inchs in to damp soil and still on have 1/2 an inch covering the seed some drill close the slot realy well but point less drilling in to bone dry ground

Willscale

Was this at Lamma?

I didn't see it. Didn't look that hard but was hoping to bump into it.

Granite Farmer

I saw it. It was in the corner of the marquee with all the Kv and clayden stuff in it. It looked well made. I walked away with a leaflet. The exhibitor took my address.

mud

More

JD_Kid

Mud

just a few questions on that drill how's the depth controled ?? what kind of travel on the discs while working i'm guessing some downward preload to get the disc to go in so what range IE -3 inchs + 6 inchs

what kinda coin are they talking about ?? PM me if you want ..

this may sound strange what would the openers be worth ?? each just thinking cost of frame etc etc to ship out here maybe pricey maybe eazer to buy openers arm clamp etc then build a frame here with seeder etc

Tullyvernon

Anyone got one of these, thinking could get a fair bit of use for one. What kind of money are they?

him

erth engineering had similar set up at fintona but simplier liked it, price about 12000 i think and he would be happy to organise a demo, least that what he said, price is too much for us, most of our ground needs ploughed and cant really add it in to contracting as there is too much engineering and farming, silage contracts fills out the summer well so thats all we do, if you try them for a demo id like a look, know a few men who might like a bit of that type of seeding done too if you were to purchase either machines.

JD_Kid

Him ..any pic's ??

Tullyvernon

We're abouts are they from? I must look into them, didn't notice them at the show, but wasn't in the market for one at that stage. I'll let you know if I'm having a demo let ya get a chance to see