Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strip till from Sly agric.

Elmsted

Strip till from Sly agric.

static_discharge

Re: Strip till from Sly agric.

eliot2004

I 've just bought one , i'll will make pictures in spring .

I will seed corn, winter beans , and raps.

Elmsted

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Hoping to try one of these this summer. I think it looks like a good system and I assume this is what Horsch are aiming for.
    Maybe just as well here. From another thread on BFF. Isnt it good to know all of this has been on here BFF for years.

Michael Horsch
    As a follow up to my "help me find a speaker" thread here is a run down on what Michael Horsch had to say to Daventry Farmers on Wednesday evening.

The topic of the talk was left to Michael and he chose to split it into two separate parts. The first part started off as an explanation of the formation and history of the business but quickly moved to the present day. At this point it took a bit of a turn and we found out what he thinks about whilst flying around the world! To summarise;

Grain marketing worldwide is being manipulated by the USDA in an attempt to delay political unrest over rising food prices. This was backed up by his observations of crop conditions witnessed on his travels which differed markedly from the conditions reported by USDA (The USDA being the foremost source for most other world harvest and stock calculations). He also produced figures showing world crop predictions and consumption over the last 5 years, along with the USDA predictions and corrections which follow 6 months later. He is predicting another downgrading of world stocks by the USDA before harvest 11. He covered this for half an hour, offering a fairly strong argument for his views along with some startling figures, for example;

The US will put more tonnage of maize into bio-ethanol production this year than the EU will produce from cereals and maize combined.

70% of world food production occurs between 45 & 55 degrees latitude, meaning world harvests are set between 15th May and 15th June, if there is a lack of rain or too high a temperature in this band markets will rise the following season due to lower yields. This band is surprisingly small when compared with the remaining land mass that it is feeding.

He has personally bet a friend that wheat prices will exceed £300/ tonne within the next few years (I canít remember the exact time span; I was trying not to spill my pint).

In certain areas of Germany (close to some of his family farms) land prices are exceeding £1000 / ha for annual rents!! (More beer sloshing at this point) This is to feed the bio-fuel plants etc.

Ok, moving on to the second hour, audience is gripped, meeting is already set to be our longest ever and he is just getting warmed up. Out come the photos of the kit they are experimenting with in Germany. Iím assuming Iím not talking out of line here as it was a public meeting.

We were shown trials being conducted on his own farm of the type of kit that he sees being the future of agriculture in the EU. He doesnít believe in No till or Min Till for the EU (despite starting out as a No Till manufacturer) as he believes it restricts yield potential, instead he is aiming for a direct drill with tillage and is conducting trials of this type of kit (often 200 Ė 1000 acres at a time so when they go wrong its pretty spectacular!). One seeder places DAP both above and below OSR as it is drilled (pictures also of all DAP below seed in same field, big difference) using seed rates as low as 3kg/ha. One of his development farmers is achieving 6t/ha of OSR and they are trying to push it to 7!!

They are also developing a system which removes trash from the drill row and deposits it between rows, meaning they can till a seedbed for the seed and in doing so remove stalks etc from the chit site leading to stronger germination and subsequent plant growth. I may be getting my pictures mixed up but I think this involved a pass with a ripper type machine run on RTK, followed by a seeder at a later date also guided by RTK to create ďmini bedsĒ. The one obvious problem with this appeared to be the risk of run off as it created perfect channels the length of the field. This appeared to be something they are playing with, whether it will ever reach market is a different matter.

Also shown were some slides of 24m No Till drills in one of the Stans (Kazakhstan or Turkmenistan perhaps?) which could drill 400 ha a day along with the harvest from last year that in some places managed 400kg/ha. They were running big green combines which were only lasting 300 hours before they shook the straw walkers apart due to the lack of crop and high operating speeds!

JD_Kid

ummmmmm alot going on with that unit seems to be a lot of newer strip tillage machines and also tine drills is that telling us something a few already know

fred

Any idea of cost for units only

Elmsted

Try this as well. Put planter on back if you want. Available in UK/Europe. Sunflower is an agco/massey product.

slyagri

We are having a Strip Till/Planter Demo day end of March/early April near Spalding, Lincs. This will be followed by a slideshow and refreshments. Anybody interested in attending please feel free to email stripcat@gmail.com .

devils advocate

Perhaps too expensive new, but when depricated.

That machine must have a great future in mixed farming areas for maize,beet, swedes & fodder brassica's.

Out of my price league but would be intersting to see a crop of swedes sown in that manner.

eliot2004

first tried :

quite good

eliot2004

Preparing for sun flower 55cm interrow :

When the ground is ready , it's easy...

Clive

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSky View Post
    Everything I've seen about strip till is in reasonable soils or dryish conditions. Is it going to cope when it's wet and heavy?
    agree - would like to see how it works in less than ideal conditions

Elmsted

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    agree - would like to see how it works in less than ideal conditions
    Thing is I agree with eliot. Namely as he says " When the ground is ready"

Trouble is so many want to go when it ain't ready. Only two solutions I reckon. Enough kit to do what is needed when mother nature lets you. And we do have 24 hours in a day.

Clive

Quote Originally Posted by Elmsted View Post
    Thing is I agree with eliot. Namely as he says " When the ground is ready"

Trouble is so many want to go when it ain't ready. Only two solutions I reckon. Enough kit to do what is needed when mother nature lets you. And we do have 24 hours in a day.
    but you can't plant a couple of thousand acres all on that same ideal day ! If you can you have too high a fixed cost structure and are loosing all the savings that DD or strip till might give you. In the UK a drill HAS to be able to work in less than ideal conditions or one season soon you will have a very small % of your crop in the ground !

I'm old enough to remember autumn 2000 when it was so wet here we only got 80ac out of a planned 1220ac of wheat in the ground and that went in less than ideal conditions !!

Elmsted

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    but you can't plant a couple of thousand acres all on that same ideal day ! If you can you have too high a fixed cost structure and are loosing all the savings that DD or strip till might give you. In the UK a drill HAS to be able to work in less than ideal conditions or one season soon you will have a very small % of your crop in the ground !

I'm old enough to remember autumn 2000 when it was so wet here we only got 80ac out of a planned 1220ac of wheat in the ground and that went in less than ideal conditions !!
    A fair point. I am merely advocating the idea that sometimes 10 metres worth of drill/planter for a 1000 hectares for example is better to have than 5 metres worth. Also that kit can and should work 24/7. Labour is cheap in comparison to kit cost and kit running costs.

I will of course mention my old friend rotation. Trying to principally plant the vast majority of a farm in Autumn in your climate and try to DD it, with the small window of time you have is always going to be fraught with risk.
    I am old enough to remember when most of the UK farms planted in spring for combinable crops. So it is not impossible to grow spring crops.

BSH

Excuse my ignorance but why would the soil conditions be so limiting in strip till? Surely they would be as wide as any other full tillage system?

Separately, although I can find reference to strip till for maize I cant find much about wheat. Has anyone any links? I think Marc Bonfils talked about wide row spacing for wheat ( as well as a long growing season) and getting similar yields per Ha as a more conventional establishment. Perhaps this system would lend itself to seeding into a permanent cover of a clover?

BSH

Quote Originally Posted by slyagri View Post
    We are having a Strip Till/Planter Demo day end of March/early April near Spalding, Lincs. This will be followed by a slideshow and refreshments. Anybody interested in attending please feel free to email stripcat@gmail.com .
    How did your strip til day go?

Oscar

Any body on here go, Im really intrested in this for maize especially like now with lack of rain fall and dried out seed beds !!!

eliot2004

It's after ray grass silaged :
    It's very dried and stony

Devon James

Thats impressive, how deep did the leg go into the ley?

Doesnt look alot of soil throw/disturbance so not very deep?

Been trying min till maize over the last few days, will hopefully progress to strip till. The question about muck incorporation has been answered anyway- no problem.

Worked and drilled in same day.

eliot2004

Quote Originally Posted by Devon James View Post
    Thats impressive, how deep did the leg go into the ley?
    15/17 cm

Devon James

Quote Originally Posted by eliot2004 View Post
    15/17 cm

Any photos of the strip till cultivater please?

Was it a leading disc then tine followed by other cultivating discs and packer?

Was starter fert used?
    Thankyou

BSH

I'm interested in the idea that this could be a hybrid system that could be adapted to organic farming. Strip till with guided hoes for weed control and guided drills using the Garford video technology? Perhaps this is a close to direct drilling that organic could get to? It would have a number of the DD advantages whilst still incorpoating tillage. Any thoughts?

Willscale

Quote Originally Posted by BSH View Post
    I'm interested in the idea that this could be a hybrid system that could be adapted to organic farming. Strip till with guided hoes for weed control and guided drills using the Garford video technology? Perhaps this is a close to direct drilling that organic could get to? It would have a number of the DD advantages whilst still incorpoating tillage. Any thoughts?
    Or nocturnal roundup!

More seriously I think it could be difficult to manage. I think it possibly could work on second cereals etc. and you will still need to plough coming out of a ley. But cost/ benefit I'm not so sure..

I think strip till for maize would be such a huge benefit for a lot of soils especially as so much maize comes after long term grass.

James - I haven't forgotten - will find more this week!

BSH

i am imagining that you would strip till into a permanent clover cover?

eliot2004

Quote Originally Posted by Devon James View Post
    Any photos of the strip till cultivater please?

Thankyou
    Just have a look on the 12 and 14's message

eliot2004

Hiniker could be your answer : http://www.hiniker.com/ag_products%2...striptill.html

BSH

Thanks for the link. Could be the sort of kit that could make it work. I cant find any reference to strip till planting wheat. Has anyone ever seen any info?

marco

Thanks for the link. Could be the sort of kit that could make it work. I cant find any reference to strip till planting wheat. Has anyone ever seen any info?
    personaly i would think that the row spaceing is too wide

BSH

You are probably right and that is persumably what everyone else thinks, but there are two suggestions that wide rows might work, one is the Marc Bonfils work but from what i understand it required drilling earlier in the summer so effectively a fallow every other year and then there is some stuff in autralia where they seed into burnt off grass with very wide row spacing. I think they get fairly low yield but given the low costs considered by some worth it. The bonfils thing is interesting. I am imagining a system of clover which you could strip till into and then mulch the clover in the following spring before seeding again. The other thing with the bonfils thing was the variety choice of wheat which are basically not available currently althyough with some marker gene technology could be introduced fairly quickly. Perhaps this is fantasy but organic farming can be improved and perhaps in our temperate climate some tillage is a beneficial part of direct seeding. As I understood it from a recent conversation with a soil scientist one of the main problems with organic growing is matching N demand of the crop. It is a challenge to get available N when you want it so perhaps a strip till system in permanent clover would create the soil disturbance to make N available. Perhaps it shows that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing!