eliot2004

Re: Strip till from Sly agric.

After ray grass 's silage

When it's weter and with more roots tines are quiet invisible

The seeder we'll have to be awake !!

Jim Bullock

eliot 2004

Many thanks for you photos. Are you as dry in your part of France as we are here in western parts of the UK?
    I suspect that your strip-tilled maize will out-yield everything else this year due to the lack of soil moisture.
    Although our direct drilled crops of wheat, oats and oilseed rape all could do with some rain, the areas we ploughed are really suffering badly to the extent I doubt if we will see more than 6.5-7 tons/ha with the wheat (DD still on target for 7.5-8 tons/ha) Although our plough based friends like to boast in a wet year I think this year we have the advantage...

eliot2004

I have the same diagnostic without for the rape , because of the begining that was so dry (i live near 2010's NLSD) that i reseeded half because the seed caught not enought moisture to stay alive .

then this fieds are with ma´ze.

Every farmers who see the work of this machine ask me to work for them .

We believe it's the better answer due to the weather this spring and i'm sure it will be also next year because of the speed of working that it's mean we will be able to wait if it's need .

P.S : less than 10 l fuel per ha .

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Devon James View Post
    Thats impressive, how deep did the leg go into the ley?

Doesnt look alot of soil throw/disturbance so not very deep?

Been trying min till maize over the last few days, will hopefully progress to strip till. The question about muck incorporation has been answered anyway- no problem.

Worked and drilled in same day.
    Please can you expand on the muck incorporation bit? Keen to konw your experiences re incorporating muck / compost especially on top of chopped previous crop residue with the SR (and if anyone's tried same with Hybrid)?

Thanks

Willscale

Not with a claydon but I leave all my muck on the surface. I've not done a good enough job of composting which I need to improve to make the stuff more effective for the biology to use.

People often say incorporate muck to preserve the Nitrogen, often they ignore the counter argument which is you can lose more Phosphorous in tilling (and carbon)

eliot2004

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Eliot that's very impressive. Where do you mount the seeder boxes?

There's none
    http://img4.hostingpics.net/thumbs/m...4338Derob2.jpg
    We seed wiht a second tractor with a "monograine"

But for rape that would be easy to fix one.

Profi Farmer

The machine in the pics looks very similar to the strip-till cultivator launched by Kuhn at SIMA.

slyagri

Some photos of testing our StripCat as a one pass OSR drill on heavy south Lincs land.

Depth is between 8 and 11 inches depending on the type of tine we have fitted, operating speed was 9kph with 200HP, 6 rows at 50cms. (Looks a little confusing as its on a 10 row folding frame)

Will be testing new guttler packing wheels later this week.

We plan to also strip till Bean land before the winter and come back in the Spring and plant with a different machine with a fertiliser/seed tank. Also the same preparation for Beet followed by a pass in the spring with fert and replacing the tine with a quick fit double disc system.

Normandyfarmer

Since last year we worked a lot to adapt this american machine for Europe, so here a couple pictures :

Here is the new unit

Pneumatic down pressure

Disc opener, straight or wavy

Floating SUNCO row cleaner

Hydraulic or bolt tripping system

No tool required for daily settings

100 % made in France, french, German, and American components,

6 rows 75 cms folding

6 rows 45 cms or 75 cms

dontknowanything

presumably you can have 50cm spacings as well as 45/75?

Clive

it s a great idea / machine but I think the row spacing will be too much for most

Fendty

Seen the machine in uk,certainly looks the business, row widths are adjustable,maize bio gas producer trying it into covercrops for spring maize,only slight problem was with pheumatic pressure system.

Normandyfarmer

Yes we can do almost anything from 45 to 80cm or more
    Like 6 rows 50, 7 rows 60, etc ... frame up to 6m folding, i.e 8row 80cm. We are working on larger frames. Folding frames are folding at 2.8m.

@fendty : what was the problem with the pneumatic ?

@clive : 45/50 too wide for rape really ?

Fendty

The row widths had been altered for drilling rape, then altered again for maize and some of the air lines had become unseated ,causing a loss of pressure,nothing that wasn't easly sorted though.

Clive

Quote Originally Posted by Normandyfarmer View Post
    Yes we can do almost anything from 45 to 80cm or more
    Like 6 rows 50, 7 rows 60, etc ... frame up to 6m folding, i.e 8row 80cm. We are working on larger frames. Folding frames are folding at 2.8m.

@fendty : what was the problem with the pneumatic ?

@clive : 45/50 too wide for rape really ?
    no fine for OSR (but you might struggle to convince everyone of that) - too wide for wheat though

dontknowanything

which bits have you changed for European use, and why are they better than the originals?

agricontract

So to drill wheat it would require rtk and to drill twice or will it be possible to make narrower row widths maybe to drills in line with a of set

peterraugland

I cant help but think its to many bells and whistles, compared to say a claydon "striptill" setup. Sure the advanced striptill leaves a much "cleaner" looking strip (still at a greater width), but does it matter that much, does the seed care if the rotation is good anyway?

Ripp, seed, pack. Plantresidues, etc, would still be in the seedbed some how??

I can 100% se the use for it in corn on corn in Nebraska. But OSR after grains in Europe??? Educate me (-:

doorknob

Quote Originally Posted by peterraugland View Post
    Plantresidues, etc, would still be in the seedbed some how??
    In clumps. Whether below the seed, around the seed, or on top of the seed, clumps of residue are not good. The additional "tillage" aspects of the added tools, reduce the clumping and better mix residues and nutrients, if applied, into the zone about the seed. IMO.

peterraugland

I totally agree, but this is the thing...: " In clumps. Whether below the seed, around the seed, or on top of the seed, clumps of residue are not good. " - Yes, but, sure the Claydon removes the residue from the slot with the front tine as well?

I understand the logic and all about the strip til, when used for autumn tilling a strip + applying fert, etc for spring-corn in a corn field, year after year in more northern parts of USA. But do we, could we or should we farm like this in Europe?

It would be an expensive osr-drill id guess, when broadcasting, subsoiling, etc works just as well...? Unless ofcourse it kills slugs... (-; Maybe its good for spuds??

The way I see it (which I know, could be 100% wrong), this tool excels when you need to seperate tilling n drilling with a winter - for directdrilling, its kinda; too complex, for osr n grains??

I would love to striptill like this in Norway. Make the strip in autumn, seed it in the Spring, it would work. But then again, so would a lot of other things....??

doorknob

Quote Originally Posted by peterraugland View Post
    I totally agree, but this is the thing...: " In clumps. Whether below the seed, around the seed, or on top of the seed, clumps of residue are not good. " - Yes, but, sure the Claydon removes the residue from the slot with the front tine as well?

I understand the logic and all about the strip til, when used for autumn tilling a strip + applying fert, etc for spring-corn in a corn field, year after year in more northern parts of USA. But do we, could we or should we farm like this in Europe?

It would be an expensive osr-drill id guess, when broadcasting, subsoiling, etc works just as well...? Unless ofcourse it kills slugs... (-; Maybe its good for spuds??

The way I see it (which I know, could be 100% wrong), this tool excels when you need to seperate tilling n drilling with a winter - for directdrilling, its kinda; too complex, for osr n grains??

I would love to striptill like this in Norway. Make the strip in autumn, seed it in the Spring, it would work. But then again, so would a lot of other things....??
    It soulds like you have it in the back of your mind and are thinking about it. So that's a good thing.

Along with the residue distribution and incorporation, comes the ability to better distribute nutrient. Sure, one can just drizzle the stuff or inject it, but incorporation of it thoughout the targeted zone "should" be better utilization and as I see the term used here a lot, better stewardship?

I understand simplicity and this is a direct drilling board, but as I have learned thru many very expensive failures trying to get into a conservation system, with each pass over the soil that is eliminated, the following pass(es) must be that much more effective to gain the most. IMO.

Normandyfarmer

Strip-till is made for row crops wich benefits from a better root system and fertility placement :
    - rape is perfect with its pivot root system
    - for sugar beet it's an ideal between no-till or shallow tillage wich do not permit a big root system and deep tillage wich then
    - maize really benefit from the preparation and the fertility placement

Wheat is not on the list as it's possible to get maximum result without deep tillage.

Claydon, Mzuri, and such, are not proper strip-till as they have nothing in common with the american machine and the idea of the technic (no fert applied) they should find it an other name

Martin Lole

Quote Originally Posted by Normandyfarmer View Post
    Strip-till is made for row crops wich benefits from a better root system and fertility placement :
    - rape is perfect with its pivot root system
    - for sugar beet it's an ideal between no-till or shallow tillage wich do not permit a big root system and deep tillage wich then
    - maize really benefit from the preparation and the fertility placement

Wheat is not on the list as it's possible to get maximum result without deep tillage.

Claydon, Mzuri, and such, are not proper strip-till as they have nothing in common with the american machine and the idea of the technic (no fert applied) they should find it an other name

Don't worry about Claydon / Mzuri having nothing in common with the American strip disc cultivators.

The success of these British built strip till drills is their ability to establish all types of arable crops in one pass.

Sumo

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Lole View Post

Don't worry about Claydon / Mzuri having nothing in common with the American strip disc cultivators.

The success of these British built strip till drills is their ability to establish all types of arable crops in one pass.
    In British soil conditions

Willscale

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Lole View Post

I think he was saying that the "strip till" concept as used in the USA is a very different one to what the Claydon/ Mzuri approach calls strip till.

Essentially it is only a name or a label but I do think there is potential confusion especially when talking internationally about strip tillage.