Thread: Matbro 250-110

Matbro 250-110

Having trouble with my Matbro today doesn't feel as free running as it was, on inspection the front axle was very hot after just 40mins yard work, back axle warm but not excessively, both have had recent old change with the specified grade of oil, would it be brakes sticking, brakes are working well on the loader) or could diff locks be stuck on??

Re: Matbro 250-110

Quote Originally Posted by case015 View Post
    Having trouble with my Matbro today doesn't feel as free running as it was, on inspection the front axle was very hot after just 40mins yard work, back axle warm but not excessively, both have had recent old change with the specified grade of oil, would it be brakes sticking, brakes are working well on the loader) or could diff locks be stuck on??
    Brake pedal not returning? crap under the pedal? Blocked hyd tank return filter or tank breather? (causes back pressure in the brake pedal return to tank making brakes bind on slightly)

Wrong oil in axle? Should be Limited slip 90 GL5, Morris Xep90 is a decent oil for it.

TR250-110 should have a handbrake on the transmission but a TR250 powershift has handbrake on front axle, the 2 levers that operate the handbrake tend to sieze up were they enter the axle casing causing the brakes to bind on.

You will know if the LS diff is locking up as it wont turn very nice and knock and grind like hell. This is normally down to dirty oil or wrong grade/poor spec oil.

The transmission handbrake on the TR250-110 is a pain in the back side. they are very very common to seize up on the 2 dowels that hold the caliper. To cure this remove the caliper and take out the dowels put them in a lathe and reduce the outer dia by about 0.5mm till they are a slack fit in the caliper that way they always rattle around loose and don't seize up as they self clean the rust off as you drive around.

Handbrake callipers taken off for new pads, so rules that out!
    All oils changed recently with correct specified oils!
    Brake pedal seems to be returning ok but dirt a possibility!
    Are the brakes worked of the hydraulics, if so would low oil cause, and is the return filter the one fitted into the hydraulic tank?

Handbrake callipers taken off for new pads, so rules that out!
    All oils changed recently with correct specified oils!
    Brake pedal seems to be returning ok but dirt a possibility!
    Are the brakes worked of the hydraulics, if so would low oil cause, and is the return filter the one fitted into the hydraulic tank?
    Yes brakes work off the hydraulics, no low oil wouldn't make brakes come on. yes filter in top of tank.

lift the front wheels off the ground with out engine running can you turn the wheels by hand? might be stiff anyway this cold weather with cold oil etc

Take the axle level bungs out and do you have slack on the brake discs with engine running? if you do then problem not brakes.

in that case you need to get transmission oil pressures tested as I have had it before were there is a issue with clutch pack binding when it shouldnt and causing drag that way. to figure that out you will have to plug a pressure gauge in each of the 5 clutch pack test ports and test separately, and the front axle getting warmer than the rear is just normal use or differences in the tyre tread and not the actual problem.

Lifted the front axle with engine off can't turn wheel they are locked!!

Lifted the front axle with engine off can't turn wheel they are locked!!
    Take level bungs out of axle and get a screw driver and see if the brake discs move or if they are clamped up tight, even with engine off the brake pedal is supplied by an accumulator so if theres a fault with the pedal leaking or not returning then it could still pressure the brakes on with engine off.

Update on my problem!! Have blanked off the brake pipe coming to front axle, and axle seems to have freed up now as can spin the wheels by hand when lifted of the ground!! Hydraulics have developed a hissing sound don't know if that was me introducing air into the system opening of the brake line or not! Also just tryed spinning the wheels against the pit today and can get them to spin in 1st gear but all 4 seem to spin is that normal? Not sure how the diff lock works on these, button seems to make no difference on mine!!

Update on my problem!! Have blanked off the brake pipe coming to front axle, and axle seems to have freed up now as can spin the wheels by hand when lifted of the ground!! Hydraulics have developed a hissing sound don't know if that was me introducing air into the system opening of the brake line or not! Also just tryed spinning the wheels against the pit today and can get them to spin in 1st gear but all 4 seem to spin is that normal? Not sure how the diff lock works on these, button seems to make no difference on mine!!

Okay so your problem is either the brake pedal not returning or knackered, or you have a restriction on the return to hyd tank line off the brake pedal not letting the oil from axle return freely to tank. I don't have a parts book to hand to look but if the pedal return pipe goes direct to the tank then this shouldn't be a problem unless the tank filler/breather cap is blocked?

If the pedal return goes back and tees in to the main return feed to tank and through the hyd filter in the top of tank then that filter could well be blocked.

I will have a look in the parts book to see were the pipe goes as I just cant remember. I suspect you will need a new brake pedal though.

No idea what your hissing sound is!

The axles have automatic limited slip diffs front and rear so if they are all spinning then they are doing there job. There is no diff lock switch I expect you are flicking the switch with a cog on it? that's the transmission disconnect with brake pedal switch, if you have been flicking it and not noticed the drive stopping dead when you put foot on brakes and sending you through the windscreen then its not working! very common for the pressure switch to fail which is underneath the machine by the rear axle I think? should be 2 the same next to each other one is brake lights other is the transmission disconnect.

I can get you a new brake pedal if you like assuming your in GB?

O ya I was thinking the cog switch was diff lock, that's good to know how the differential works!!

Was just going to ask you must be in the business of supplying parts with your knowledge? I'm in Southern Ireland

O ya I was thinking the cog switch was diff lock, that's good to know how the differential works!!

Was just going to ask you must be in the business of supplying parts with your knowledge? I'm in Southern Ireland
    No worries will send you a PM.

Looking at the parts book the brake pedal return goes straight to the top of the hyd tank all be it a very long winded route. This only leaves you with 2 possible causes, hyd tank breather/filler blocked back pressuring the tank or faulty brake pedal/crap under it.

Thanks going to fit a new filter tomorrow to rule that out first, if it is faulty brake pedal is there a repair kit available without buying a whole new unit, looks like it can be dissasbled??

Thanks going to fit a new filter tomorrow to rule that out first, if it is faulty brake pedal is there a repair kit available without buying a whole new unit, looks like it can be dissasbled??
    Not sure if there is or not? Always fitted new ones as normally they are half rotted away at the base anyway.

matbro tr 250 powershift

hi ace I need a brake pedal for my tr 250 powershift roughly how much are they

Re: matbro tr 250 powershift

Quote Originally Posted by jd66 View Post
    hi ace I need a brake pedal for my tr 250 powershift roughly how much are they
    Not sure cant remember. Few hundred quid i expect? I dont do export though if your southern?
    Call me monday 07966 593526.

Re: matbro tr 250 powershift

Quote Originally Posted by ACE View Post
    Not sure cant remember. Few hundred quid i expect? I dont do export though if your southern?
    Call me monday 07966 593526.
    sound from southern Ireland il call you monday