Thread: Pallet wrecker.

Pallet wrecker.

I am making myself a pallet wrecking bar, a bit like this one : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1vfvvxNhcY The "tines" in mine are going to be 20mm x 10mm but I think they might bend. I know I can always weld two together but is there an easy way to "temper" the tines so that they don't bend ? Mine will have a 90 degree bend in them where they will come up to a back plate but I wondered if there was a way to make them stronger.

I can get them red hot. What happens if I dip them in oil or water at that stage. TIA.

Re: Pallet wrecker.

Quote Originally Posted by zaza View Post
    I am making myself a pallet wrecking bar, a bit like this one : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1vfvvxNhcY The "tines" in mine are going to be 20mm x 10mm but I think they might bend. I know I can always weld two together but is there an easy way to "temper" the tines so that they don't bend ? Mine will have a 90 degree bend in them where they will come up to a back plate but I wondered if there was a way to make them stronger.

I can get them red hot. What happens if I dip them in oil or water at that stage. TIA.
    Weld the 20x10 on edge, not on the flat?

JV
    Agtronix - the home of the Weedswiper

Quote Originally Posted by john maddock View Post
    Weld the 20x10 on edge, not on the flat?
    JV
    Thanks JV. Never even gave that a thought and I've already bent them this morning. But I bought 20ft of 20 x 10 so can do it all again if I've got it horribly wrong.

Thanks JV. Never even gave that a thought and I've already bent them this morning. But I bought 20ft of 20 x 10 so can do it all again if I've got it horribly wrong.
    No problem. To err is human (especially at our age); to recover gracefully is angelic

JV
    Agtronix - the home of the Weedswiper

I used to work to a man who had an old MF potato harvester, you know the one with the round table on top. On The big tined wheel on bottom that riddled the soil out the tine had worn away so it was decided to weld a small length of round bar onto each one. When welded we dropped them into a bucket of waste oil to blue them and hopefully prevent rusting inside welds, however we had problems the following harvest with them breaking due to a hardening effect, should have let them cool on their own. Wisdom after the fact, eh.😉

Thank you Gentlemen. I actually got the size of the steel wrong ! I had forgotten that I eventually went for the 25 x 10 and I looked at putting the "tines" on vertically but it wouldn't have worked. Anyway, yesterday I made the wrecker and it works very well. I intend to tart it up a bit today and modify it slightly but in general term "job's a good un" I didn't treat the tines in any way, other than for the fact that I got them red hot where I bent them and then they got a bit warm where I welded them.

The muddy edge of the biggest puddle in the uk

That would be O.K. if all pallets were the same size. They are far from that. And on most of them, unless you have the wrecking tine right up close to the slat that you are taking off all that happens is that the slat breaks in the middle. Actually I am critical of the way that wrecker in that wideo has been made. You can see that he sometimes has difficulty in getting the timber slats under the wrecking tines. The machine needs a bigger stroke on the ram so that the tines are lifted right up out of the way when he is pushing the pallet up to the wrecking position.

Nil points from me I'm afraid unless you had a load of pallets all the same size and even then you would have to adjust the tines along the bar so that they were right up against the slat. You really need a wrecker with 2 tines that go either side of the slat. I have made mine with 2 tines 4.5 inches-ish apart but if the formers are the very narrow ones and there are too many long nails holding the slats you still break the slat.

There are loads of videos on YT showing different wreckers but, surprise surprise, they are always shown wrecking nice tidy pallets with few nails and clean timber.
    Last edited by zaza; 01-02-17 at 06:08 PM.

The muddy edge of the biggest puddle in the uk

I think that's why the guy had his fingers clamped with bolts so the pitch can be altered. I have a retired friend who makes firelighters from pallets to give away to OAP's or sell in charity shops. He has a bad back and after I made him numerous devices mainly long bars he settled on opening the boards to a gap with a block bolster and then sawing the nails out with a reciprocating saw which is actually fairly fast. As you say there are so may pallets it's difficult to make universal machine.