Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Small Baler

hughf

Re: Small Baler

Maybe you 'll have one of these and think they're great but just over the years these ones I have come across not being the top dog they should be
    NH 268 (might've been 286 can't remember)
    NH 377 (demo ed before buying 370 , gave trouble on demo , very embarrassing, salesman b suggested we go for 370 he had in stock.)
    NH 387(marketed as contractor spec but one near us made said contractor sick.)

Exfarmer

another to avoid is the NH276
    We had one would never tie one side
    Mechanic came out
    We left him to rebuild the Knotter (this was brand new)
    Couple of hours later he said all done
    Apparently knotter was a long way out of true for some reason
    We went with him down the field

Same problem
    He had rebuiilt wrong one
    The baler did not last a year
    it was a nightmare:cry:

eric_t

We have ran a variety of Jones and Allis Chalmers balers of the years, still have the Mk 12T to do a couple or three thousand a year.

Tim_Jones

Quote Originally Posted by Exfarmer View Post
    another to avoid is the NH276
    We had one would never tie one side
    Mechanic came out
    We left him to rebuild the Knotter (this was brand new)
    Couple of hours later he said all done
    Apparently knotter was a long way out of true for some reason
    We went with him down the field

Same problem
    He had rebuiilt wrong one
    The baler did not last a year
    it was a nightmare:cry:
    One bad knotter doesn't make a bad baler. I'm still using a 276 and it keeps churning the bales out with no problems. At 34 years old it may be nearing the end of it's life but a bit of simple maintenance keeps it rolling at present.

dgw

NH 376 was a good baler generally, no problems with bad shape as there were with the later yellow balers such as the 945 or whatever.
    The NH with a 'grand piano'! triangle over the pick up reel was the 268 I think; made in the late sixties and early seventies prior to the 276 and 286.

essexpete

I think you are right about the 268 feeder.

The 9 series could be OK if set up properly and the 945 could punch out bales quite quickly.

cartonj

My father has an old Bamford BL59 that he's had since new. Its broken his/our hearts at times over the years missing bales. Alot of baler experts have came and gone and she's still the same.

john63

We have a NH 376 and an IH 440. Have to say the 440 is much more reliable. Think that the knotters on the 376 need adjusting as well as it still drops a few. We did have a problem with the 376 about 15 years ago when it kept breaking needles all the time though. :cry:

Gapples

Quote Originally Posted by hughf View Post
    Started with B47 on Leyland 384 , then IH 440 , then NH 370 , then JD 456 , next up was NH 940 and finally Claas markant 65 which I still have but she has been problematic over the last few years so the workload is low.

With all those behind me you'd think I was an expert but alas no , they can still frustrate me!

The best? A hard one ..... but I was really impressed with the 370 probably was my favorite, certainly kept the longest. But some NH models are terrible.

I worked on with the Claas balers for many years as well as IH, the only real issues with the Claas M65 were the pinnion shaft snapping sending the flywheel soaring off down the field & knotter problems, which once you knew how to sort were never really a problem !
    Oh also I used to re-time the packers to one up one down as opposed to the factory setting, this give a smoother feed into the bale chamber !

Sleepy

Quote Originally Posted by Gapples View Post
    Oh also I used to re-time the packers to one up one down as opposed to the factory setting, this give a smoother feed into the bale chamber !
    Thats an interestings idea.

So the far one would sweep the hay across and then the near one would pick it up and sweep it in to the chamber?

It would make my eyes go funny looking at it after watchign them move together for so long

Gapples

Quote Originally Posted by sleepygit View Post
    Thats an interestings idea.

So the far one would sweep the hay across and then the near one would pick it up and sweep it in to the chamber?

It would make my eyes go funny looking at it after watchign them move together for so long
    It does look abit different but works alot better , I was taught to do this by an old guy who used to work for Claas & was their baler expert, after that I use/we used to reset all of them on PDI
    Plus of course the more even the feed the better the knotters work as well as a rule !

hughf

I worked on with the Claas balers for many years as well as IH, the only real issues with the Claas M65 were the pinnion shaft snapping sending the flywheel soaring off down the field & knotter problems, which once you knew how to sort were never really a problem !
    Maybe I have found who i've been looking for !!
    My flywheel whizzed off last year but on investigation , nothing appears broken apart from the split pin holding it on the shaft, and obviously the shear bolt. Is it just a matter of refitting and replacing split pin do you reckon?
    Also what exactly is involved in re time of the packers, is it DIY job?

Gapples

Quote Originally Posted by hughf View Post
    Maybe I have found who i've been looking for !!
    My flywheel whizzed off last year but on investigation , nothing appears broken apart from the split pin holding it on the shaft, and obviously the shear bolt. Is it just a matter of refitting and replacing split pin do you reckon?
    Also what exactly is involved in re time of the packers, is it DIY job?
    If all thats happened is the flywheel has dropped off then just put it back on , the ones I was on about broke the gearboc pinnion shaft !

On the packer re timing its just a case of turning over the baler till the chamber packer support arm is straight up, then on a M55 take off the chain drive drive & allow the outer packer to hang straight down & re-connect, on the M65 it shaft driven so you need to knock a sliding coupler along to allow the outer packer to drop then re connect. You find the baler now runs smoother & feed more evenly

Sleepy

Did you ever have many problems with the pickup blocking up / slipclutch going?

On my 65, if I am in a real heavy windrow, it is always the pickup that stops before the packers give up. And if the pickup does block up I can grab a fork and help the pickup to turn again and the packers deal with it no problem.

Think I should probably have a look at the slip clutch on the pickup.

Second thing, I sometimes break the main shear bolt, normally in a very heavy windrow for no apparent reason?

I think part of that might be because I have just been using normal bolts rather than the proper Claas ones - could that be the reason?

I assume the only real time the bolt should go is when the chamber stop flys up or when there is a very solid obstruction?

Gapples

Did you ever have many problems with the pickup blocking up / slipclutch going?

On my 65, if I am in a real heavy windrow, it is always the pickup that stops before the packers give up. And if the pickup does block up I can grab a fork and help the pickup to turn again and the packers deal with it no problem.

Think I should probably have a look at the slip clutch on the pickup.

Second thing, I sometimes break the main shear bolt, normally in a very heavy windrow for no apparent reason?

I think part of that might be because I have just been using normal bolts rather than the proper Claas ones - could that be the reason?

I assume the only real time the bolt should go is when the chamber stop flys up or when there is a very solid obstruction?
    Oh yes, the pickup slip clutch, it does give problem ! not really man enough for the job in hand & abit of pain to do as well !

I think if you are using normal bolts what will be happening is you break the bolt over a period of time, it slowly works its way through if you know what I mean, you are quite right it should break if stop dog is in or something fouls the ram !

The packers set as they come out the factory work ok & will deal with the crop, they just handle it better when set one up ... one down

Dry Rot

With this catalogue of things that can wrong, I think I was right to spend the extra pennies and get a Welger!

If I remember correctly, the packers do alternate and the slip clutch comes into action when it encounters a really heavy lump, but reduce the revs and it clears itself.

After getting a copy of the manual and checking every setting, the next thing I did was get some shear bolts. So far, I haven't used one -- and the baler is over 16 years old.

essexpete

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
    Ermm. May I be a little critical here, in a friendly way ? There is no way I would ever put anything other than a genuine shearbolt in any of my machines. And I always took shearbolts out of their place and replace them if they had been in there for a long time because I also had the opinion that they would harden themselves over time.

I would take them all out and just put them back during the pre-season service anyway.

Same with slip clutches. Take them apart, and put them back together again.
    Surely if you can get the correct grade bolt there should not be a problem?

Gapples

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    With this catalogue of things that can wrong, I think I was right to spend the extra pennies and get a Welger!

If I remember correctly, the packers do alternate and the slip clutch comes into action when it encounters a really heavy lump, but reduce the revs and it clears itself.

After getting a copy of the manual and checking every setting, the next thing I did was get some shear bolts. So far, I haven't used one -- and the baler is over 16 years old.
    Yes pretty sure its the Welger packers that alternate & Welger have the patent for this setting which why Claas could not do it at the factory BUT we could at PDI, I certinly altered quite a few over the years

Never had anything to do with the Welger small balers but worked on the round ones, they nothing short of fantastic machines, far & away the best round baler I saw in action

As far as shearbolts go I would always recommend using the correct ones & make sure the hardened shear bushes are replaced if worn or damaged, you want these bolts to shear cleanly first time every time.

Scooby is spot on with slip clutches, strip, clean & re set as part of a winter service or prior to use, IH small balers used come with spacers in the flywheel slip clutch, as part of the PDI you shoved a fence post in chamber & slipped the clutch before removing the spacers, you then knew the clutch was working correctly

daveb

Never operated this baler, no matter how hard I tried to get a drive, the owner/driver pretty much kept the job to himself though suprisingly it's not him driving in this pic. the tractors a 56 and the baler is a 58 and would not have been very old in the photo. At that time I wasn't old enough to even stack bales, although I stacked plenty from it later on. It's days of work came to an end in 71 when a new MF2O replaced it, much faster, but you couldn't turn short on corners like with the 701

Sleepy

Oh yes, the pickup slip clutch, it does give problem ! not really man enough for the job in hand & abit of pain to do as well !

I think if you are using normal bolts what will be happening is you break the bolt over a period of time, it slowly works its way through if you know what I mean, you are quite right it should break if stop dog is in or something fouls the ram !

The packers set as they come out the factory work ok & will deal with the crop, they just handle it better when set one up ... one down
    I will make sure we look over both slip clutches when my Claas baler man comes - I'm hoping he will be very knowledgeable and very thorough

I have been using some bolts that I got from a JD dealer when I said I had a Claas small baler so no idea if they are correct or not. I bought them when I was lesser knowledged on small balers! Will get this sorted as well and some proper ones from Claas. I think they are just normal bolts though so probably too soft so bushes may need doing as well but there doesn't seem to be any slop.

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post

Yeh I should have on hind sight got a Welger but realistically I would have had to spend double what I spent on the Claas. I wanted a tidy baler because I do not think it gives a good image to customers if you are turning up with some rusty old thing that looks like their own baler (ignoring the fact of whether it works or not )

I've 20K plus bales through it in the last 2 of years and have learnt a lot along the way (I'm only 18 now), just picking up customers as I went. Before this baler I had never run a baler before, I can now strip and rebuild the knotters quite quickly and fix (bodge) a lot of problems on it. I'm hoping this year I will finally crack it and it will be plain sailing :lolk:

So overall the baler hasn't done bad, I expect half the problems have been operated induced and I am a better spanner man then before. I could justify replacing it with a Welger but I would rather pocket the cash than spending the whole time paying of a 7-10K welger, and the Markant is tight and I think a good baler once sorted Also it is quite compact so goes down our roads but with a big pickup so I can follow a decent combine when necessary.

I've also spent a few quid on the knotters now, so it seems a shame to go and replace it straight away!

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
    Ermm. May I be a little critical here, in a friendly way ? There is no way I would ever put anything other than a genuine shearbolt in any of my machines. And I always took shearbolts out of their place and replace them if they had been in there for a long time because I also had the opinion that they would harden themselves over time.

I would take them all out and just put them back during the pre-season service anyway.

Same with slip clutches. Take them apart, and put them back together again.
    Yep - ignorance is bliss I had never really throught about it before and the original dealer did not really advise me any the wiser :cry: Will be getting Claas ones, a few extra quid won't make any difference end of the day.

Scooby is spot on with slip clutches, strip, clean & re set as part of a winter service or prior to use, IH small balers used come with spacers in the flywheel slip clutch, as part of the PDI you shoved a fence post in chamber & slipped the clutch before removing the spacers, you then knew the clutch was working correctly
    It sounds a similar technique to the metal bar and sledge hammer used in the Markant factory to set the knotters / needles up

Sleepy

Oh also today I found a PTO shaft very similar to the one on the baler at the moment that goes to the tractor but it is a wide angle one.

Would this allow me to turn without the PTO knocking / banging a bit?

Also another thing to pick your brains Gapples ( ), the PTO is two parts, and in the middle there is universal joint mounted to a bearing I imagine.

This is mounted on top of a pillar that is attached to the drawbar with a pin. I think there are three possible holes.

On the baler as I got it there is only one pin, but this means the PTO joint in the mid drawbar is able to lean right back (it doesn't stay upright).

Is there meant to be a second pin that goes underneath the drawbar to keep this support in posiition (I just wedged it with something to keep it sort of upright).

Here is a picture of happy days 2010 about to leave the yard in August to bale hay for a customer. I have to go in a special loop to be able to enter and leave the yard with the baler and sledge hooked up and then get it in the barn easily with a little reversing - if you get it wrong it time to take the sledge off and push it around!

DaveJ

Never realised the packers alternating was not factory settings, as our Markant was set up this way too. Tildesleys must have changed it on the PDi as Dad owned the baler from new.

Goweresque

Oh also today I found a PTO shaft very similar to the one on the baler at the moment that goes to the tractor but it is a wide angle one.

Would this allow me to turn without the PTO knocking / banging a bit?

Also another thing to pick your brains Gapples ( ), the PTO is two parts, and in the middle there is universal joint mounted to a bearing I imagine.

This is mounted on top of a pillar that is attached to the drawbar with a pin. I think there are three possible holes.

On the baler as I got it there is only one pin, but this means the PTO joint in the mid drawbar is able to lean right back (it doesn't stay upright).

Is there meant to be a second pin that goes underneath the drawbar to keep this support in posiition (I just wedged it with something to keep it sort of upright).

Here is a picture of happy days 2010 about to leave the yard in August to bale hay for a customer. I have to go in a special loop to be able to enter and leave the yard with the baler and sledge hooked up and then get it in the barn easily with a little reversing - if you get it wrong it time to take the sledge off and push it around!

Thats a really smart setup you have there, right down to the claas coloured sledge!!

Sleepy

Yes it did have some work last year!

Hydraulic door and road lights And some other bits - new tyres (and some spares, which I keep in the baler ready for quick change over), and new main frame rails all the way round the bottom (they had rusted out).

I have however been told the kit looks the biz, but the numpty in the seat... Must improve!

Dry Rot

Hydraulic door and road lights And some other bits - new tyres (and some spares, which I keep in the baler ready for quick change over), and new main frame rails all the way round the bottom (they had rusted out).

I have however been told the kit looks the biz, but the numpty in the seat... Must improve!
    A very impressive set up! I am envious.

A big step up from one I saw on YouTube with a small child perched on the back with the job of opening the accumulator gate when it was full!

How do you manage on the roads? I think my accumulator would stick out to one side as the loading chute must run behind the bale chute of the baler? Or is the draw bar offset for transport? It is still hellish wide for the single track roads around here anyway.

Sleepy

Roads are a huge pain no doubt about it.

The baler has a swing over hitch on the back of it which moves it to the middle of the baler, so it all lines up and the sledge is no wider than the baler.

On narrow roads it is difficult especially if there are tight turns - I have to go as wide as I possibly can with the baler in the road but the sledge does seem to follow exactly where the baler goes.

Once your on main roads it is no problem, except roundabouts are very interesting to say the least! Bit of a train...

I normally drive at about 22mph/23mph on main roads and the sledge follows fine at that speed.

I have done many miles like this

I started building a new sledge of different design and have run out of time but will get it finished this summer some point.

go diego go

i am also very impressed sleepy i would be quite happy to see that coming into my yard and as for the "numpty" in the seat" at 18 yrs old you have a lot of time ahead to improve ,,,, as i said looking good regards gdg

jpd

superb job
    i was wondering the reason you chose a"semi" automatic sledge rather than a full automatic one?

Sleepy

Quote Originally Posted by jpd View Post
    superb job
    i was wondering the reason you chose a"semi" automatic sledge rather than a full automatic one?
    Thanks - its made easier because all the bits for the Cooks sledges are still available through Ritchie and they are very helpful as well (and there not bad priced).

I chose this sledge mainly because it allows you to hold 8 bales in a pack and drag them along whilst it arranges the next 4 bales. This means you can avoid dropping bales on headlands or where they are going to be a pain so you don't have to jump out and move packs of bales to continue baling.

Also, it is a bit shorter on the road when it is folded which helps when you pull it behind the baler.

icklerox

Hi! I am looking at a Claas Markant 65 at the moment. I have never had much to do with balers - what are the key parts (i.e. most expensive) to examine?

Also has anyone any experience of using one to bale haylage? I have heard that the JD 459 can be tricky because of the cross auger. I realise that Welger balers are taken to be the dogs whatsits but cant find a reasonable one for reasonable money!

That sledge looks mighty!

Thanks.