Thread: Sheepdogs and Geese

Sheepdogs and Geese

Hi, I'm a newbie to this forum and hope someone may be able to help.

I believe that sheepdogs (border collies) can be used as a deterrent to wild Canada Geese - in that they can herd the geese in such a way that the geese think they are being stalked by a predator and fly off. If done on an intermittent basis, the geese get the message and eventually don't come back. Or so is the theory.

I've looked on-line and seen that this seems quite common in the States - but I've not found any references to anyone doing it in the UK. Hence my request for help. Does anyone know if anyone is using working dogs in this way? Could a dog normally used to work sheep do it - or would they need to be specifically trained?

Or are there are other forums more specific to people who work with dogs where I might ask? The internet is generally ok for things, but I'm struggling to find a starting place for finding help?

Any info or suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks

Re: Sheepdogs and Geese

Interesting!

As you say, a lot in USA

Think if you have an obedient, well trained Collie you should have no problems getting it to work, ie. to chase away the geese.

See http://canadagoosecontrol.blogspot.co.uk/2015/09/how-to-get-rid-of-canada-geese-from.html
    British Farming Forum on Facebook - www.facebook.com/groups/BritishFarmingForum

We have a terrier that chases away low-flying fighter aircraft.

I had a BC bitch who would go into the loch and bring our ducks back

Funny this thread should be here. I sent the dog out to try and scare a flock of geese yesterday. He stopped halfway and looked back like . After a bit of forceful verbal encouragement, he took off again, skirted right round the geese who never moved , jumped the next fence and disappeared, only to return a few minutes later with 20 of the neighbours sheep

Quote Originally Posted by MC130 View Post
    Funny this thread should be here. I sent the dog out to try and scare a flock of geese yesterday. He stopped halfway and looked back like . After a bit of forceful verbal encouragement, he took off again, skirted right round the geese who never moved , jumped the next fence and disappeared, only to return a few minutes later with 20 of the neighbours sheep

Mine (half welsh sheepdog tho) loves barrelling through our domestic geese sending them all scattering

What you really need is an extremely high drive working cocker, mine goes after *anything* with feathers, legitimately chasing birds is his ideal job description!
    Team Rosewood - Grazing where others fear to tread!

Quote Originally Posted by MerryKerry View Post
    Mine (half welsh sheepdog tho) loves barrelling through our domestic geese sending them all scattering

What you really need is an extremely high drive working cocker, mine goes after *anything* with feathers, legitimately chasing birds is his ideal job description!
    Would that not be viewed as unnecessary harassment and cruelty to geese and other harmless birds?

Unless it happens to be a particularly dangerous gander.

Quote Originally Posted by b slicker View Post
    Would that not be viewed as unnecessary harassment and cruelty to geese and other harmless birds?

Unless it happens to be a particularly dangerous gander.
    not as dangerous as a 12g - Would they fall under "nuisance vermin" that you could shoot? Great for Sunday dinner .