Thread: Metal files.

Metal files.

My old metal files have all seen better days and I am looking to replace them with a set of some sort. Half round, round and triangular and maybe a few flats of different grades. I don't want needle files and I don't want rasps. What do people recommend please ?

Re: Metal files.

Quote Originally Posted by zaza View Post
    My old metal files have all seen better days and I am looking to replace them with a set of some sort. Half round, round and triangular and maybe a few flats of different grades. I don't want needle files and I don't want rasps. What do people recommend please ?
    I'd pick exactly the ones you want from somewhere like https://www.cromwell.co.uk/shop/abrasives/general-purpose-files/090101?query=files

They do sets but often one or more aren't exactly what your after

But I'd also keep a couple of fine 12" reaper files. Can't beat them
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

Thanks FF. It's a long time since I learnt about smooth, second, and the other one ! What would you use to sharpen a sawbench ?

Thanks FF. It's a long time since I learnt about smooth, second, and the other one ! What would you use to sharpen a sawbench ?
    Reaper, fine cut.

Smuggle out one of Mrs Zaza's old linen hankies, soak in oil, wring out and wrap file in before slipping it into the tractors toolbox

Sharpening a sawbench, now thats a satisfying job. When I started here we turned out some old cupboards and found the original foremans Eclipse saw tooth setting pliers, they used to make your wrist ache after setting both sides of a 24" plate saw
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

Quote Originally Posted by Footsfitter View Post
    Reaper, fine cut.

Smuggle out one of Mrs Zaza's old linen hankies, soak in oil, wring out and wrap file in before slipping it into the tractors toolbox My hankies come back in and get thrown in the laundry basket soaked in oil anyway so she will never suspect a thing. Thanks.

Sharpening a sawbench, now thats a satisfying job. When I started here we turned out some old cupboards and found the original foremans Eclipse saw tooth setting pliers, they used to make your wrist ache after setting both sides of a 24" plate saw
    That's a bit posh. Small moveable (you may call them adjustable) spanner has to do for me. Not the first time I have broken one off though.

Our local but long gone sawmill owner gave me his setting tool when he retired and I remember him saying to never use it on a cold blade as that's when they are most likely to break.
    Don't itch for something if you're not prepared to scratch for it.

Quote Originally Posted by wr. View Post
    Our local but long gone sawmill owner gave me his setting tool when he retired and I remember him saying to never use it on a cold blade as that's when they are most likely to break.
    Mmmm. That makes sense. How warm though ? And what to warm it with on a cold day ?

Mmmm. That makes sense. How warm though ? And what to warm it with on a cold day ?
    He said he'd use the saw for an hour or so before setting. Don't know about a cold day. At a guess I'd say to have the saw in the workshop and have the heater going next to it for an hour
    Don't itch for something if you're not prepared to scratch for it.

Quote Originally Posted by wr. View Post
    He said he'd use the saw for an hour or so before setting. Don't know about a cold day. At a guess I'd say to have the saw in the workshop and have the heater going next to it for an hour
    I like the idea of using it for an hour or so. Having said that I used to work for a chap who would only let us use a circular saw for an hour at the most. He always said that it was possible to get too familiar with it after that and I think it was a good idea. Yes, I had thought about the workshop heater as well, I guess that just a couple of minutes with the gas torch while the thing was in motion might be O.K. as well ? I also have one of those small camping gaz type of things, aerosol size. I reckon that might do.

Anyway, I had never even given the temperature thing a thought and it makes a lot of sense. Thank you.