Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 93

Thread: Are all toppers crap.

  1. #1
    james d geoghegan
    Guest

    Are all toppers crap.

    I have a top brand topper that is made out of poor quality materials, the frame is very light , the wheels are small and get punctured every 2 days work, the paint is coming off , the gearboxs are small chiniese crap and go on a regular basis, these machines are costing 4000 , are all toppers as bad or is there anybody making a machine that will take a bit of abuse and last the test of time ?

  2. #2
    robbie c
    Guest

    Re: Are all toppers crap.

    kidd double-chop

  3. #3
    aidank
    Guest

    Re: Are all toppers crap.

    our Abbey 8ft trailed is 14yrs old, never had a days bother with it, topping ~250acres a year, just greased it today for soon to be topped grazing paddocks

    in the 14yrs we have put in 2UJs and last year had to replace one of the two drawbar springs and the drawbar shock absorbers

    drive shafts still have their original covers on them

    we use it for topping after the cows and not for cutting rushes or grass

    your right wheels are too small on all toppers, wheels should be the same size as a trailed mower, have never let the ram down all the way

    gearboxes are Comer in ours, have heard of these gearboxes going if used for cutting rushes

  4. #4
    Dexter
    Guest

    Re: Are all toppers crap.

    I have a modified Foster its pretty strong.

  5. #5
    cozzie
    Guest

    Re: Are all toppers crap.

    no they are not, but fools and their money are easily parted!!!!!

  6. #6
    Sleepy
    Guest

    Re: Are all toppers crap.

    Buy a flail topper.

    End of problems.

  7. #7
    marsh_bor
    Guest

    Re: Are all toppers crap.

    Yep a nice VN one at that

  8. #8
    nashmach
    Guest

    Re: Are all toppers crap.

    Valtra must have too much power :lolk:

    It is my honest believe that too many are putting too much power through them or driving way too hard - it is not a race!

    We bought a brand new blue topper last year and are very happy but it is on a Ford 4610 which is a bit underkill for a 8ft topper.

    I am of the firm believe though that green or orange versions are not what they used to be.

  9. #9
    GALCAM
    Guest

    Re: Are all toppers crap.

    My Abbey 9ft trailead eat 6 shearbolts today in Rushes that were cut last year. My fwd speed was around 3.2MPH. I even sharpened the flails today, something I have never done in my life in the hopes that I would get through the day without having to get out and put a new shearbold in. I want a topper that can follow the contour of the ground and can cut heavy rushes.... 'and thats all I want' in the words of the guy from the movie the Jerk.

  10. #10
    seedman stains
    Guest

    Re: Are all toppers crap.

    desvoys

  11. #11
    Derky
    Guest

    Re: Are all toppers crap.

    We have a 1996 Kverneland flail topper that does 200 plus acres a year and its never been a problem.

  12. #12
    Sleepy
    Guest

    Re: Are all toppers crap.

    Quote Originally Posted by GALCAM View Post
    My Abbey 9ft trailead eat 6 shearbolts today in Rushes that were cut last year. My fwd speed was around 3.2MPH. I even sharpened the flails today, something I have never done in my life in the hopes that I would get through the day without having to get out and put a new shearbold in. I want a topper that can follow the contour of the ground and can cut heavy rushes.... 'and thats all I want' in the words of the guy from the movie the Jerk.
    I have never broken a shearbolt in cutting a few hundred acres of rushes a year with my 3m flail mower

    Decimated plenty of concrete blocks and fence posts as well

  13. #13
    tanker
    Guest

    Re: Are all toppers crap.

    Our Twose 10ft flail topper is solid and will take plenty of hard work, and does a good job.Needs lots of power and hence diesel in really heavy rushes though which would be the only real drawback..

  14. #14
    deere2140
    Guest

    Re: Are all toppers crap.

    Kuhn BNG flail . Mine is about 15 year old , it's a set aside mower , will take out anything you can drive over . Cost me 1400 a couple of years ago . Being 4.5 m it's a bit big for the 2140 though

  15. #15
    Mayo
    Guest

    Re: Are all toppers crap.

    Well you will insist on buying these cheap and nasty ones!! Kuhn, Spearhead, Votex etc, absolute animal of a machine, twose, fraser, teagle etc etc all a load of carp!!!

  16. #16
    Lumpkin
    Guest

    Re: Are all toppers crap.

    Browns Leopard with T flails. It's made of 6mm plate and like the one 2140 has, if you can drive over it it will top it. You can even get a finishing roller to go on the back.

  17. #17
    Sleepy
    Guest

    Re: Are all toppers crap.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mayo View Post
    Well you will insist on buying these cheap and nasty ones!! Kuhn, Spearhead, Votex etc, absolute animal of a machine, twose, fraser, teagle etc etc all a load of carp!!!
    I had a Votex topper, absolute joke of a machine unless you are planning on trimming your lawn with it. Belts just slipped and disintegrated. From what I can tell thats the same with all the belt machines.

    Twose and Spearhead are exactly the same company

    I also had a Flemming 9ft shaft drive topper for a while (looks very similar to the Twose), that was OK, but I got fed up of replacing shear bolt after shear bolt on it. And I am sure it wouldn't be long till the gearbox went bang.

    Sometimes you do seem to speak a lot of carp yourself Mayo :lolk:

  18. #18
    Mayo
    Guest

    Re: Are all toppers crap.

    lol, you are right, I am thinking of another continental brand that are orange. Can't remember the name.

    Why top after the cows? Get a cheap drum mower and cut in front of them!

  19. #19
    GALCAM
    Guest

    Re: Are all toppers crap.

    OK I give up will someone give me the name of a tough reliable flail topper. Something that can take heavy rushes and that will not leave tram lines down the field where the tractor trampled them down. It has to be able to take a clip on a rock just above ground level and clay banks, humps hollows in fields. It cannot be high maintenance like require sharpening every day and it has to be resaleable. Is that to much to ask?
    Thanks

  20. #20
    Inbye
    Guest

    Re: Are all toppers crap.

    Quote Originally Posted by james d geoghegan View Post
    I have a top brand topper that is made out of poor quality materials, the frame is very light , the wheels are small and get punctured every 2 days work, the paint is coming off , the gearboxs are small chiniese crap and go on a regular basis, these machines are costing 4000 , are all toppers as bad or is there anybody making a machine that will take a bit of abuse and last the test of time ?

    They're not all rubbish!

    But it took us a while to find a decent one. We used to have a belt driven one and one with a shearbolt mechanism. Both were absolutely useless unless you wanted to mow your lawn!

    We now use a McConnel 9ft Rhino Topper. An absolutely fantastic machine! It's got a slip clutch so no slipping belts or breaking shearbolts! Just got to make sure the slip clutch is set up properly or it will slip too easily - which takes 20 mins. The wheels at the back are made from solid rubber IIRC and therefore do not puncture. Can't recommend it enough!

    Edit - no tramlines left either, unlike the previous belt driven/shearbolt toppers we had.

  21. #21
    An Gof
    Guest

    Re: Are all toppers crap.

    Quote Originally Posted by Inbye View Post
    They're not all rubbish!

    But it took us a while to find a decent one. We used to have a belt driven one and one with a shearbolt mechanism. Both were absolutely useless unless you wanted to mow your lawn!

    We now use a McConnel 9ft Rhino Topper. An absolutely fantastic machine! It's got a slip clutch so no slipping belts or breaking shearbolts! Just to make sure the slip clutch is set up properly or it will slip too easily - which takes 20 mins. The wheels at the back are made from solid rubber IIRC and therefore do not puncture. Can't recommend it enough!

    Edit - no tramlines left either, unlike the previous belt driven/shearbolt toppers we had.
    You're lucky you must have had the good one! Local experience suggests Rhino to be avoided. As stated previously in the thread Kuhn Flail is the way to go. I've got the T-shirt for Votex, Twose and Mc Connel wish I'd bought the Kuhn before. Now done 3 seasons with it and has cost nothing other than change of oil in the gearbox

  22. #22
    Inbye
    Guest

    Re: Are all toppers crap.

    Quote Originally Posted by An Gof View Post
    You're lucky you must have had the good one! Local experience suggests Rhino to be avoided. As stated previously in the thread Kuhn Flail is the way to go. I've got the T-shirt for Votex, Twose and Mc Connel wish I'd bought the Kuhn before. Now done 3 seasons with it and has cost nothing other than change of oil in the gearbox

    Interesting, as everyone I've spoken to raves about them.

    Are you talking about the ones with a shearbolt or slip clutch? As their website is quite confusing. I would never have a shearbolt protected topper again. But our McConnel with a slip clutch is a great machine.

  23. #23
    Mayo
    Guest

    Re: Are all toppers crap.

    You can't beat having the thing offset to the side of the tractor or on the front- Phil had such an outfit. No wheelings just be careful to drive slowly into any really heavy underground in case there is a shopping trolley or something hiding in there.

    Flail toppers will eat anything or at least try to. The only downside is that flails are not cheap and you have to keep the rotor in balance.

    Still think a drum mower in front of the cows makes more sense if you are topping grazing paddocks.

  24. #24
    Forage Trader
    Guest

    Re: Are all toppers crap.

    dont buy a belt topper as in Kidd ect, most of the Irish gearbox to shaft drive are good

  25. #25
    Chris
    Guest

    Re: Are all toppers crap.

    Quote Originally Posted by GALCAM View Post
    OK I give up will someone give me the name of a tough reliable flail topper. Something that can take heavy rushes and that will not leave tram lines down the field where the tractor trampled them down. It has to be able to take a clip on a rock just above ground level and clay banks, humps hollows in fields. It cannot be high maintenance like require sharpening every day and it has to be resaleable. Is that to much to ask?
    Thanks
    Spearhead or Kuhn are both very well built and capable and should tick all your boxes!

  26. #26
    farmer palmer
    Guest

    Re: Are all toppers crap.

    We had a flail topper and it was the biggest pile of junk we have ever had,its fine if you want to cut rushes etc but if you try topping thick graxing grass the belts would not stand it and the gearbox was made of crap aswell.You had to drive at 2mph or it would self destruct.
    we now have a spearhead batwing,cuts like a mower and doesnt take all day

  27. #27
    Proper Job
    Guest

    Re: Are all toppers crap.

    Spearhead Multicut (whatever width) are bomb proof. Shaft driven, with rubber shock protection, heavy duty gearboxes, quicker and cheaper than a flail. We've done thousands of acres with one, if you hit a stone it just chops it in half and not the same as the Twose.

  28. #28
    binc10
    Guest

    Re: Are all toppers crap.

    Quote Originally Posted by sleepygit View Post
    I had a Votex topper, absolute joke of a machine unless you are planning on trimming your lawn with it. Belts just slipped and disintegrated. From what I can tell thats the same with all the belt machines.
    usually has something to do with the 'V' pulleys not shimmed properly to fit the belt correctly... saw this done when PDI ing them on work experiance... never had a bother with ours on HD flails

    Binc10

  29. #29
    GALCAM
    Guest

    Re: Are all toppers crap.

    Can u get a trailed flail topper with good wide wheels about 3 mts wide. Would operate in same way as trailed mower or topper, hydraulic control of lift and lower and to position behind tractor?

  30. #30
    essexpete
    Guest

    Re: Are all toppers crap.

    Quote Originally Posted by GALCAM View Post
    OK I give up will someone give me the name of a tough reliable flail topper. Something that can take heavy rushes and that will not leave tram lines down the field where the tractor trampled them down. It has to be able to take a clip on a rock just above ground level and clay banks, humps hollows in fields. It cannot be high maintenance like require sharpening every day and it has to be resaleable. Is that to much to ask?
    Thanks

    We have had a Mcconnell Merlin for years and although it has not done 000s of acres it has been over tough scrub and worse. It is well bulit and heavy. Some of the cheaper models are just not so well built.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •