Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: timming a 6 cylinder international

manx674

timming a 6 cylinder international

a few of u may now i'm puttin a 6 (310D) engine into a 885xl, i had to remove the timing cover and gears off the 6 cylinder and fit the 4 cylinder timing cover/back plate so the ZF axle would fit back on, on the injector timing gear which no. dot do u use for the timing, the 4 cylnder 885 was dot no. 4, so it's either dot no. 5 or 6 ? also whats the order for doing the valve clearences and what are they? will post pics soon,

basketcase

Re: timming a 6 cylinder international

from the info in my workshop manual it may be dot 5 or 6 depending what the engine came out of if it came out of a 955/946 it will be dot 5,valve clearences inlet and exhaust 0.30mm/0.012" engine warm.

manx674

the engine came out of a combine, not sure what model, using combine injector pump though, so i guess i need the timing dot for the combine pump,

ReidyNZ

Shoulda got a D358 (that's what I had in my 574) 310 is a lazy lump like the D206 4cyl, short stroking gutless oddball well at least you will ave the nice exhaust note

manx674

the engine was free , the combine was on its way to the scrap yard, was'nt going to turn it down, 885 engine was well shot, oil pump knackered, grabbed engine, no 1 crank bent like a bannana ,

manx674

just had asked google for any info and found this,
    955 dot 5 12deg btc
    715 comb dot 6 12deg btc
    766,786 dot 6 10deg btc
    sound right to anyone?
    i'm still using combine injector pump,

cyrush

Here is the definative reply as to which mark should be used!!!!

From information in my IH engine database the reason marks 5 or 6 are used relates to the shape of the water channel behind the water pump, please see att for explanation.

The only combines fitted with a D-310 engine were 431 or older 8-71 and 531 or older 8-91 all built by IH France @ Croix, near Lille. All were timed to 16 degrees

Rgarding useage, athought occurs. Combines are speced to deliver power & torque at max load rpm 2200 - 2400rpm whereas with atractor it is uaually in a band from 1400 to 2400 rpm's. ????

What ??? were you doing with one of these combines on the isle of Man ??????????????????????

Gapples

Quote Originally Posted by cyrush View Post
    Here is the definative reply as to which mark should be used!!!!

From information in my IH engine database the reason marks 5 or 6 are used relates to the shape of the water channel behind the water pump, please see att for explanation.

The only combines fitted with a D-310 engine were 431 or older 8-71 and 531 or older 8-91 all built by IH France @ Croix, near Lille. All were timed to 16 degrees

Rgarding useage, athought occurs. Combines are speced to deliver power & torque at max load rpm 2200 - 2400rpm whereas with atractor it is uaually in a band from 1400 to 2400 rpm's. ????

What ??? were you doing with one of these combines on the isle of Man ??????????????????????

I was thinking along the same lines as to injection pumps fuel delivery, it would be better being reset to deliver torque as per an early 955 ?

cyrush

Send me a PM with your email details so i can forward the fuel pump settings from my database. (cant post them on here asforum will not acept the PDF file sizes). {Hope the Moderators are looking at this, it is a continual problem on this forum!!!} It would be better to post info on here so it is available to all. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Refueling pump may help to adegree but the pumps are different, different profile of cams etc, etc.

A good bosch tecnician may be able to better advise. ????

Attch to be sent 531 / 8-91 & 955 fuel pump settingand flow rator sheet.

manx674

does anyone have/know the order for valve adjustment on the D310/6 cylinder engine?

cyrush

Have sent details to your e mail

You need to buy the engine manual ??

manx674

thanks cyrush, got emails, great help, i only needed this info as i ended up having to swop timing plate/cover to fit in fr axle, not really planning to do any more work on engine, but will know when she's up and running, if i need manual will defo give u a shout, thanks again

manx674

Exclamation Re: timming a 6 cylinder international

just being thinking about the timing again,and a bit unsure which dot to use, ( though both line up with no engine/pump turning required) problem is this, info cyrush sent me says it depends on water pump backplate type
    type A dot 5, Combine
    type B dot 6, tractor
    i started with type A on engine and had to swop it for type B to get fr axle to fit, but i'm still using injection pump of combine (A), the main difference in types is the timing backplate/cover, injection pump is a bit higher up on type B ,
    if any of that makes sense, any ideas?????

cyrush

To my way of thinking that would mean use the type b spot a spump is now relocated to the higher position. I would guess using type a in this instance would stop pump being timed correctly 16degrees as i recall.

manx674

progress

ih685xl

Is it a super or super two ?

go diego go

Quote Originally Posted by ih685xl View Post
    a sooper dooper six i reckon when do you reckon to get some smoke!!!!

Kipper

Looks good, good luck

manx674

Quote Originally Posted by ih685xl View Post
    think it was :lolk:a super two,

manx674

just a few pic up dates

Kipper

Your engine looks very similar to the one fitted to my loader.

manx674

a little further on :lolk:, just gettin to the small awkward but important bits

cyrush

MMM'MM loks tidy, should go well.

manx674

gettin there , remembered how its supposed to look :lolk:

candor

Quote Originally Posted by manx674 View Post
    gettin there , remembered how its supposed to look :lolk:
    Would a bonnet off a 956/1056 fit?

manx674

yeah a 956/955 bonnet would prob fit, but i would then have to change the exhaust manifold, as is the exhaust misses the bonnet, so i've made some brackets to support existing bonnet and will try and bend some sheet metal to fill in gap, a inta 956 bonnet has a 8'' peice just in front of cab anyway, on a plus the exhaust is more offset so visiblity is improved, just waitin on 956 control cables and trying to source a exhaust with a 70mm fitment harder than it seems,

go diego go

i would be tempted to route the exhaust (stainless of course) up the cab pillar

ih685xl

An L cab bonnet would be your easiest option .

manx674

just a quick up date, finally got ready to start her up, engine turns over , some exhaust smoke , bled fuel system , no firing , any ideas? have tried new battery, jump leads etc, different starter motors, ( not to sure which starter it should have really, as the combine one needs modifying to fitm, though i have had a quick look at specs and the only difference between combine and 885 starter is no of teeth , 885 - 10 , combine -9 , ??? , will post some pics soon , any ideas? as the engines been siitin for a while should i take out injectors and soak them in diesel / over halll them ??? , if anything above makes sense ideas thanks,

JohnB_IE

Do you need chassis rails with that engine or has it a stressed block.
    Nice work.