Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: My Gaia Wind turbine project

foxbox

Re: My Gaia Wind turbine project

Quote Originally Posted by CT1920 View Post
    Crikey that's quite low parameters
    Ours is set at about 2.5-3m/s
    What's your average in your area
    CT, is your turbine the same model as BigAndy's? If so why would they set the start up parameters differently, wouldn't the thing be set to generate at whatever was the lowest generating wind speed, otherwise you would be losing potential generation capability? Excuse me if that's a daft question, we don't have a turbine and I'm very interested in how all this works.

CT1920

Quote Originally Posted by foxbox View Post
    CT, is your turbine the same model as BigAndy's? If so why would they set the start up parameters differently, wouldn't the thing be set to generate at whatever was the lowest generating wind speed, otherwise you would be losing potential generation capability? Excuse me if that's a daft question, we don't have a turbine and I'm very interested in how all this works.
    Yep both BigAndy's and ours are 11kw
    Well i think it's to do with how much power it uses starting up at a certain speed and whether or not the power used to start production is going to be made back
    Picture this; a light breeze maybe 2-3m/s
    If the low wind speed parameters get the average of over the parameter for over a minute then it cranks the turbine with a phase or three of electricity
    If the computer then realises the wind speed is consistently too low for over 5 minutes or so then it will stop the turbine
    The power used to start the turbine is much more than was produced in the time it was turning
    Thus a defecit
    Thus wasted bought in electricity units
    Some areas can be very marginal at low wind speeds and your better having a high(er) lower end wind speed parameter limit as when the turbine starts turning, it isn't going to stop 5 minutes later
    (i think)
    :lolk:

BigAndy

Yep agree with that, however it does have the ability to free wheel and can do this for a fair old time without stopping and down to about 1m/s from watching it this morning, once it has got going that is. Doesn't use energy to keep trying to power up at that, just free wheels.

Our installer set it at that and he is fairly experienced so I can do little other than trust his judgement and so far think it makes sense.

chippy

Wahooooooooo got her up again but with couple more guide wires and the bottom pole is now connected to the next one up with a sleeve so shouldnt bend over. Just used fencing wire as the extra guides which is what i could have used all over as the straps are a bit OTT.

BOB1

Quote Originally Posted by chippy View Post
    Wahooooooooo got her up again but with couple more guide wires and the bottom pole is now connected to the next one up with a sleeve so shouldnt bend over. Just used fencing wire as the extra guides which is what i could have used all over as the straps are a bit OTT.

I used Big Square Bale String Still OK after 9 months

CT1920

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    I need to check my own speed with a mast. Any idea please on what to use both for the pole and also for the wind monitor. Been quoted 1000 by a company to do it for me

The readings from NOABL is 50m is 6.1m/s and 70m 6.5m/s. Carbon trust are suggesting 50m 5.1m/s and 70m 5.4m/s. Some companies think this is enough and others are saying no way. This is for them to lease the site though and not for me to do it myself.
    Well is it not for them to find out
    Those averages are fine

fermerboy

My mate was at the Gaia open day/meeting at Rothienorman, Aberdeenshire today.

The farmer there has a 11kw Gaia turbine up and going.

It went up on the 26th of January this year and as of today had done 15370 kw/h.
    Those of you with Gaia's how does that seem?? I thought that it was quite good, although I have no experiance of that turbine.

Think he said it was doing about 3kw/h in a 3.5m/s wind, that sound about right?
    My mate was well impressed.

We never considered the Gaia as it needs 3 phase supply. :cry: :cry:

beller

The farmer there has a 11kw Gaia turbine up and going.

It went up on the 26th of January this year and as of today had done 15370 kw/h.

Thats pretty impressive for five and a bit months. They should have no problem getting over 30mw within the year which I reckon is the target for most Gaia owners. If they end up in the 35-40mw bracket (which is top of the range) they'll be delighted. Would leave a pretty swift payback.

Were they using the power on farm or exporting?

cowpat

have been told average wind speed for my area is 6 m/s. its 550 ft above sea level, on top of a hill and nothing obstructing it from all directions, should i take it for granted that a wind turbine is perfect for this area or should i get a feasabilty study carried out on it just to be certain, costing 1200

40 and 2

Apologies for going off at a bit of a tangent here but how often to FITS get paid and how long do you have to wait for first payment?
    Its just that I know someone who has had his turbine up for over a year and is still to recieve any FIT money.

chippy

Quote Originally Posted by cowpat View Post
    have been told average wind speed for my area is 6 m/s. its 550 ft above sea level, on top of a hill and nothing obstructing it from all directions, should i take it for granted that a wind turbine is perfect for this area or should i get a feasabilty study carried out on it just to be certain, costing 1200
    An online feasability study is free from myriad! If thats not enough then an anemometer is 200 plus cost of a mast!

BigAndy

Update on production, been up a running a month yesterday and we did 5800KW for the month with by far the vast majority being done in the first 3 weeks, done virtually nothing this last week.

A problem yesterday and still is, the tip brake appears to have activated and not returned on turbine 1 so had to be stopped as wont get going, hopefully they will sort it today, though cant see how they going to reach it exactly. Pictures to follow

and

BOB1

Have you a compensation scheme with the Installer/ Gaia in the event of loss of prodution to turbine failure ?

BigAndy

Quote Originally Posted by 40 and 2 View Post
    Apologies for going off at a bit of a tangent here but how often to FITS get paid and how long do you have to wait for first payment?
    Its just that I know someone who has had his turbine up for over a year and is still to recieve any FIT money.
    I believe that for new installs the payment is annual for first payment, then quarterly thereafter. I havn't yet got paperwork through to register with supplier and will post more info when get it. Has your mate registered? Installers cant do it I believe has to be customer.

Bob, no I havn't got compo scheme, asked insurance but think will be too costly though dont know for definite. At least with 2 turbines if something wrong its only usually 1 of them.

castell

Quote Originally Posted by BigAndy View Post
    I believe that for new installs the payment is annual for first payment, then quarterly thereafter. I havn't yet got paperwork through to register with supplier and will post more info when get it. Has your mate registered? Installers cant do it I believe has to be customer.

Bob, no I havn't got compo scheme, asked insurance but think will be too costly though dont know for definite. At least with 2 turbines if something wrong its only usually 1 of them.
    Hi, I don't know if it varies according to supplier, but I had my Proven comissioned in mid Jan and registered for FIT a week or so after when the paperwork came through. Eon told me to ring in the reading after 3 months and they paid up for FIT and exported electricity within days. Still a few more years til it pays for itself though!

40 and 2

Quote Originally Posted by castell View Post
    Hi, I don't know if it varies according to supplier, but I had my Proven comissioned in mid Jan and registered for FIT a week or so after when the paperwork came through. Eon told me to ring in the reading after 3 months and they paid up for FIT and exported electricity within days. Still a few more years til it pays for itself though!

Thanks Andy and Castell

Andy, not sure what he has done with regards to applying for FITs, would be surprised if he hasn't.

Quarterly is not so bad, thinking of borrowing fairly heavily and that will make it easier to service the loan. Should pay for itself within 5yrs 7+m/s wind. Never recorded it though seems like a waste of a year tbo.

Castell,How has your Proven been? just so much negative press has made me look elsewhere.

castell

Thanks Andy and Castell

Andy, not sure what he has done with regards to applying for FITs, would be surprised if he hasn't.

Quarterly is not so bad, thinking of borrowing fairly heavily and that will make it easier to service the loan. Should pay for itself within 5yrs 7+m/s wind. Never recorded it though seems like a waste of a year tbo.

Castell,How has your Proven been? just so much negative press has made me look elsewhere.
    I am fairly pleased with it, managed 3820kwh in May on an estimated 5.8m/s site, I have only got a spit single phase so couldn't look at a Gaia. The only dissapointment is that despite a declared 10.8 kw output it has never produced more than 10kw in an hour, but I am assured that this will be sorted out and actually it is only a handful of really windy days where I have lost out.

Andy as a comparison what is the best one of your Gaias has achieved over an hour so far?

BigAndy

Quote Originally Posted by castell View Post
    I am fairly pleased with it, managed 3820kwh in May on an estimated 5.8m/s site, I have only got a spit single phase so couldn't look at a Gaia. The only dissapointment is that despite a declared 10.8 kw output it has never produced more than 10kw in an hour, but I am assured that this will be sorted out and actually it is only a handful of really windy days where I have lost out.

Andy as a comparison what is the best one of your Gaias has achieved over an hour so far?
    Seen one doing 10.5KW but not watched for an hour to see, they have however done 500KW between them in a 24 hour period a couple of weeks back so was pretty pleased with that.

they came and sorted the tip brake, fishing landing tackle adapted to fit round blade tip, climbed and did from ladder. Apparantly will have to call them every time it does it as no way to reset, have altered some settings to try and make less likely to go off, but cant quite figure why it did anyway. Have to just see if happens again

40 and 2

How does the tax aspect of turbines work.ie setting cost off purchase against tax liability

I pay PAYE and run the farm side seperately (small scale) it seem that no one is sure if there is a definitive rule.

If for example the turbine costs 60k and is put through the business what are the rules? can i claim back 22%? even if I don't pay much tax through the business?

More feckin questions than answers, sorry!

kennyo

Lee

Think most folks are using power predictors,we are ( google betergeneration or powerpredictor) I also bought a mast which I think was supplied by better generation through a third party. I was disapointed in the quality of the mast and it folded in the middle in high winds last 2 weeks ago. I think I will replace it with a tall, thin pine trunk when I get a minute.

40 and 2

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Solar panels are 'plant & mach' so I would assume a turbine could also go through although panels are moveable, not sure a turbine is?
    Anyone else know for sure? If it is classed as plant and machinery is it written off over a period of years and if so how many?

chippy

the mast i bought on ebay doesnt appear to be for sale any more buts that probably because he had his Unit broken into and all stolen. I managed to get an ex demo one. There only good if you put plenty of guide wires on because i had 4 and mine folded in the middle as its a bit flimsy. Straightened it out and its back up now with few more guide wires.

BigAndy

Anyone else know for sure? If it is classed as plant and machinery is it written off over a period of years and if so how many?
    This year there is a 100k allowance on plant and machinery for a farming business, therefore the whole lot can be written off this year. Moves to 20k next year I think.

BigAndy

Just a quick update, 7 weeks today and got to just over 7000 so average dropped somewhat from a blistering start but not surprisingly.

Since they altered the parameters we havn't had any more faults and when they have been stopped its because of lack of wind which has been more frequesnt in the last couple of weeks, especially overnight. But quite pleased with how its going so far overall.

storming

Had site visit from C&F last week ca't put turbine within 144m of my own house. New planning regs !!!
    not enough room now for anything:cry::cry:

anyone else had this ?

Storming

Rossco

BigAndy, can I ask what size cable you used for your 250m run. We have a Gaia that's been running since march, really pleased with it but the only problem has been it's tripped seven times because of low voltage. Just a bit worried we've used too light a cable for our 200m run. Not sure if this could be a cause or not. It's due it's 3 month service soon so hopefully get to the bottom of it.

40 and 2

Quote Originally Posted by storming View Post
    Had site visit from C&F last week ca't put turbine within 144m of my own house. New planning regs !!!
    not enough room now for anything:cry::cry:

anyone else had this ?

Storming
    I had my site meeting with them at the start of the week,fine in that respect just hoping I dont need to fork out for a new transformer. Will hopefully go for a 15 or 20kw machine. Does anyone have one up and running? if so what are your opinions so far? thanks

lanark lad

I had my site meeting with them at the start of the week,fine in that respect just hoping I dont need to fork out for a new transformer. Will hopefully go for a 15 or 20kw machine. Does anyone have one up and running? if so what are your opinions so far? thanks
    I am afraid that will cost you 25 grand sorry:cry:

40 and 2

Quote Originally Posted by lanark lad View Post
    I am afraid that will cost you 25 grand sorry:cry:
    Wow, hopefully It will not be required,seemed to think I would be fine for a 15 if not a 20 so fingers crossed and all that. It all depends on what SSE come back with and that can take months.:cry:

BigAndy

Quote Originally Posted by Rossco View Post
    BigAndy, can I ask what size cable you used for your 250m run. We have a Gaia that's been running since march, really pleased with it but the only problem has been it's tripped seven times because of low voltage. Just a bit worried we've used too light a cable for our 200m run. Not sure if this could be a cause or not. It's due it's 3 month service soon so hopefully get to the bottom of it.
    We are on 75mm cable from turbine 1 to farm and smaller to link 1 to 2 if you get what I mean, so main cable is taking output from both. However we did have a voltage drop error on turbine 2 in first couple of weeks, they widened the trip parameters and been fine since. Daft thing was that when they came out a couple of weeks back, Gaia had reissued a ist of the parameter settings that computer should have, installer was a bit peed off as you would think they could set the default setting correctly from factory. Voltage setting was wider than he had altered it to a few weeks back.

So i would enquire if your installer has an updated list if they dont mention it, because I think that could well be your cause not the cable.