Thread: Weighing new born calves

Weighing new born calves

I'm looking for the best method of weighing new born calves. I've used a tape, I've dragged them onto our crush scales but I'm looking for something a bit more accurate and easier to do. Any suggestions?

Scotland, land of the free home of the brave

Re: Weighing new born calves

Set bathroom scales, pick up calf stand on scales then deduct your weight simples.

That's quite a good idea but the only drawback is that weighing the calves is presumably to give an idea of LWG ongoing throughout rearing. so as they get bigger picking them up to weigh them will become more impractical.

We use a tape, AHDB will give you one FOC and it's pretty good, some are not so handy to use. it's not perfect obviously but in terms of a comparative result measuring with a tape should mean that any discrepancy is relative to all on going weights.

Quote Originally Posted by matbrojoe View Post
    That's quite a good idea but the only drawback is that weighing the calves is presumably to give an idea of LWG ongoing throughout rearing. so as they get bigger picking them up to weigh them will become more impractical.

We use a tape, AHDB will give you one FOC and it's pretty good, some are not so handy to use. it's not perfect obviously but in terms of a comparative result measuring with a tape should mean that any discrepancy is relative to all on going weights.
    If it gained 1 kilo/day and you continued to lift it every day you'd be ready for the next Olympic games!🤣

Scotland, land of the free home of the brave

I thought he only wanted the birth weight?

Why not just give them a score from 1 to 5, with 1 being very light to 5 being very heavy (and dopey?).

It seems easier than having to wipe the bathroom scales before you return them to their normal place.
    Nor is it easy to hold a calf, balance the scales on uneven dirty bedding, and then bend over to read the weight
    before the mother and some of her mates attack.