Thread: Out with the old, in with the new(er).......

Out with the old, in with the new(er).......

Last week our "upgrade" arrived. Having spotted this nice example it was time to say goodbye to the old Claas55.

The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

somerset uk ,my family has 12 farms in michigan usa

Re: Out with the old, in with the new(er).......

nice have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by fieldmarshall View Post
    nice have fun.
    It is looking like a nice machine. There's quite a jump in technology between the old and "new" and it should do us for a few years. we went for the 25" tracks again so its the same width- we have a couple of places with access and traffic calming issues and the extra 75hp will help with some tasks while not being ott. We also went for the B model in particular as we had been advised it was/is one of the best they made. Its 8 yrs old with 2800hrs. When we went to look at it there were a few things that needed looking at which we included in the deal. Its exhaust stack was cracked & had been welded, the flexi turbo-stack pipe pretty rusty and the cab frame next to the pipe had lost its paint which they repainted + fitted a new C series stack and pipe. The bonnet struts were tired, the cowling around the fuel filler in front of the windscreen was damaged and a couple of other minor things attended to.

Its currently waiting for a pair of external linkage switches and a roof repair where a beacon had been clobbered and has been checked over by the dealers Challenger man with the laptop- all ok there apart from loads of error codes to do with low voltage/ flat batteries, this turned out to be from a Tracker that had been fitted for the original owner running the batteries down for the 3-4 months its been between owners. He wiped the error codes so we have a fresh start and I removed a poorly fitted tracker- even a pikey would of spotted the odd looking "loom" running from above the engine to the batteries. Not the first poor tracker installation I've come across. It will be replaced by something better installed and more proactive

In the meantime we've had the bellyguards and side panels off for a good clean out and wash, everything is nice and oil free, the 3point linkage needed some tlc and control boxes etc to be put in ready for drilling next month. Have to see how much the Claas's PUH will be missed though!

somerset uk ,my family has 12 farms in michigan usa

challengers are a very good work horse,we have on the family farms in michigan 4 of the 865b, challengers and 4 9400 jds,all work very hard,

Here it is when I caught it with the new SLR

Our operator has really taken to the de-accelerator pedal and the extra horses means a downshift, drop the revs with the pedal, turn and off it goes.

We have had a slight hiccup with the aircon, a bit of an own goal with the gas amount When it was in the workshop during the wet Feb. recovering the gas seemed to point to quite a bit missing according to the decal label on the engine superstructure, it held a reasonable vacuum so it was topped up to the stated charge and seemed to run ok given the cold crappy weather, wee'd on the floor and cycled ok so we would wait and see how it went and pencilled in for a system service asap seeing as the filter-dryer and Accumulator looked original.

When the weather broke and they started field work it became apparent all was not right- our operator was down to a teeshirt!, once available (ie rained off!) the gas came out again surprisingly nearly exactly the same as went in. Checking around found that the compressor clutch gap was wide so while pulling that off to shim up I grabbed the chance to pressure test the system with the recently acquired 10bar test regulator & nitrogen. Bubble testing it revealed the compressor shaft seal lightly bubbling away so some pictures and a video to the dealer had a replacement compressor booked in.

Meanwhile after flushing out the system (been dyed) I installed a new filter-dryer, accumulator and a new metering orifice, changed all the orings in every joint and pressure tested it less a compressor using the flushing adaptors. Everything ok so ready for the compressor to be fitted by the dealer which is when it came to light that the official decal had a higher charge weight than normal - some markets have a bigger capacity condenser to handle their extreme heat apparently . So the system was charged with the lesser "regular" to the uk - 2.1kg of gas and the correct amount of oil. (I must add it was done with a very nice "Cube" recovery/charging station- might have to think about upgrading our old fashioned bits everywhere equipment!)

With everything done we were ready by then to get back on the land. Operator is now also impressed with the cab cool box, and he has kept his overalls on

Final modification was to chisel the posh factory decal off, replaced by a marker pen with the lower charge weight. Should be good now for 4-5 years.