Thread: McConnell Shakerator Shear Bolts Rip Off

McConnell Shakerator Shear Bolts Rip Off

Just ordering some autumn cultivation parts and noticed that the shear bolts for the McConnell shakerator are now over 2.50 a piece plus VAT. Genuine washers are 2.50ish each and nuts are over a 1! If u break 4 pins each time that's getting towards 25 plus downtime!

Does anyone know of a cheaper alternative to the genuine parts other than the auto reset 1500 plus option!

Regards

nxy

Re: McConnell Shakerator Shear Bolts Rip Off

Used to buy them from Spaldings and/or Pan Anglia years ago, they probably still do them.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Just get them from the local bolt supplier - why would you want genuine shear bolts from any manufacturer because its got 'rip off' written all over it.

Its only a bolt!

I don't think they are 'just a bolt' they are strip thread bolts. They do not shear.

MrNoo

Just bought a Discerator from Weaving, same leg etc, I asked Simon re bolts and buying locally, he stated that it was fine but they need to be fine thread and same tensile strength, the fine thread allows the nut to pull the threads through in the event of a mishap. So prob best not to put some 10.9`s in!!!!

Ploughman1963

coarse threaded bolts should strip easier than fine thread?

Right-arm fast

Quote Originally Posted by 6820 View Post
    I don't think they are 'just a bolt' they are strip thread bolts. They do not shear.
    If its the same as ours there are just 4 UNF threaded bolts the size escapes (5/8 i think) with standard nuts and flat washers, in the parts manual it gave the sizes etc of the bolt and we just ordered from tool factor.

spotty_dog

I use ordinary 8.8 M16 bolts and put 2 ordinary nuts on each one, locked against each other. They strip nicely if i hit something big/hard and are as cheap as chips to replace.

155tm

That is interesting, I found that the metric 8.8 bolts had a tendancy to rip the corners off the top plates, rather than stripping the threads. (maybe we weren't hitting the rocks hard and fast enough!!)

We went back to using UNF bolts sourced from the local bolt factor. (which reminds me I didn't order any more when I did the stock order the other day.)

JohnDeere8530

Just about to buy 50. The ones that came with my weaving subdisc machine new last month are M14 x 60 mm fine threads. On top of bolt there are 3 lines spaced 120 degrees apart ie 12, 4 and 8 o clock orientation. Quick google suggests these are 5 grade not 8.8 tensile.

Simon from Weaving didn't seem to know what grade, just said its the bolts you tighten with a 24mm spanner (m14), so I suggest going to local bolt dealer and going for lesser grade esp as a previous post suggested damage may occur to top of leg clamps with 8.8 grade

However looking at Spaldings and other websites they all suggest at 3/4 x 2 1/2 UNF bolt. The plot thickens as this bolt is bigger than factory fit !

Right-arm fast

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDeere8530 View Post
    Just about to buy 50. The ones that came with my weaving subdisc machine new last month are M14 x 60 mm fine threads. On top of bolt there are 3 lines spaced 120 degrees apart ie 12, 4 and 8 o clock orientation. Quick google suggests these are 5 grade not 8.8 tensile.

Simon from Weaving didn't seem to know what grade, just said its the bolts you tighten with a 24mm spanner (m14), so I suggest going to local bolt dealer and going for lesser grade esp as a previous post suggested damage may occur to top of leg clamps with 8.8 grade

However looking at Spaldings and other websites they all suggest at 3/4 diameter bolt. The plot thickens !
    On ours it was the thread that stripped out of the nut so tensile strength of the bolt was a bit of a side issue we always used standard 8.8 grade with no probs

JohnDeere8530

Quote Originally Posted by Right-arm fast View Post
    On ours it was the thread that stripped out of the nut so tensile strength of the bolt was a bit of a side issue we always used standard 8.8 grade with no probs
    I agree however the higher the tensile
    Stress the harder it is to pull the threads off ?

What sized bolt do you use? 14mm or 3/4 both presumably with fine threads ? Is this on a sub disc

JohnDeere8530

just spoken to stores at Weaving

They say the bolt fitted is actually a 5/8 x 2 1/2 UNF standard bolt 8.8 tensile (Not M14). They used to fit bigger but found that damage used to occur to legs and the saddles on top in some cases

MrNoo

However looking at Spaldings and other websites they all suggest at 3/4 x 2 1/2 UNF bolt. The plot thickens as this bolt is bigger than factory fit !
    Yes the Spaldings ones are thicker than the Weaving factory fit ones, I ordered some a week ago, not used any of the Spaldings ones yet, but don`t get through very many, did 4 last year!!! Already done 2 so far this year!
    Simon gave me a bag when I bought the machine.

Right-arm fast

I agree however the higher the tensile
    Stress the harder it is to pull the threads off ?

What sized bolt do you use? 14mm or 3/4 both presumably with fine threads ? Is this on a sub disc
    The nuts were just standard nuts for ours - we used unf bolts but some metric fine were used as replacements at times im sure. I will have the McConnel parts book still if it will help i could dig it out over the weekend ?

It was a standard 3m 7 leg shakerator circa 1990.

watfordfrosty

if you think thats bad genuine shear bolts for a bomford superflow are 55 for 10 if anyone knows where to get them cheaper please let me know what a rip off

NRLP

I have used both a shakaerator and Subdisc to good effect but have a massive problem with stones and in a season could get through over 100 bolts.

The cheapest and by far the best solution I found was to use M16 x 65 standard coarse thread bolts with lock nuts. The problem I found initially was that even using form C washers these would try to pull through the holes with the bolt and in so doing making the holes in the saddle bigger and escalating the problem. (the same thing happens with Spalding bolts as they are a very close fit and end up distorting the holes). I concluded that the washers were the key but too damned expensive. After a lot of trawling through the internet the solution can be found at Orbital Fasteners who supply the "through hardened" washers which I believe are the same as McConnell ones but cost (2011 price) 19.20 / 100 !!!
    Quite a price difference.

This proved the best solution as the bolts stripped the threads rather than snapping and would only go when I hit a fairly large stone. And importantly didn't enlarge or distort the saddle holes.

Since then I have moved on to an autoreset Trio. A lot less getting in and out of the cab and hence a lot faster but the monthly payments hurt a lot more.

JohnDeere8530

would using 2 standard 35mm diameter repair washers top and bottom stop the holes enlargening as there will be more strength here

NRLP

Problem is because most washers are mild steel, and you need quite a clearance around the holes to enable the leg to break back properly, the washer is the weak point. The nut will then try to pull the washer through the hole before it shears the threads. Hence why McConnel fit their "special washers". Also not sure a washer 35mm wide would fit as the gussets on the saddle would get in the way. Just my observations but seemed to work.