Thread: Straw value? How much should I charge for 4ft 6in high density round bales?

Question Straw value? How much should I charge for 4ft 6in high density round bales?

Re: Straw value? How much should I charge for 4ft 6in high density round bales?

In Carlisle over recent weeks our auction market prices per tonne, have been in the region of 95 to 105 for hay; 85 to 90 for barley straw; 75 to 80 for wheat straw; and 73 to 75 for oat straw. Compared with this time last year these prices are very similar but the key message is that there is a lot less quantity being sold and going forward the crop trade will depend on whether or not there is a harsher winter period from now on.

From Carlisle mart web site...

I was quoted 70 / tonne for wheat and 80 for barley delivered in the midlands. I'd think a merchant would need about 20 / tonne margin on that at least if you're selling in the yard for collection. Again it depends where you are, if you're located in a big livestock area then you'd need less discount on retail for ex yard sales.

4ft 6in can be difficult......two wide equals 9ft, tricky on a truck.