Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cattle Shed Lighting

Reggie Hammond

Re: Cattle Shed Lighting

What makes these lights so expensive? They are sodium or metal halide aren't they not?

Unless its the dimmer that they come with, I don't see why they are so expensive. You can buy top branded MH or HSP lights for £100.

I have a low wattage HPS light in each of my cattle sheds which I switch on at night instead of the fluorescents so in theory, its doing the same job as an agrilight if I am not mistaken?

farmer palmer

I belive velcourt tried this type of lighting in one of its dairy units a few years ago,i was told it had no effect on fertility or milk yeilds at all.All it did was light up there shed like a football stadium and cost a fortune in electric.

foxbox

Quote Originally Posted by farmer palmer View Post
    I belive velcourt tried this type of lighting in one of its dairy units a few years ago,i was told it had no effect on fertility or milk yeilds at all.All it did was light up there shed like a football stadium and cost a fortune in electric.
    And it would be no use at all in my beef sheds which is where the thread started

FrTed

Quote Originally Posted by foxbox View Post
    In the end we went with 4 foot, twin tube IP rated fluorescents, mounted one to a bay alternating either side of the shed. The output from them is fantastic, a very clean light which is proving ideal for calving cows. As we have many light sources shadows have been virtually eliminated, this was a problem we had in a previous shed where we used floodlighting instead.

We have also mounted 3 energy saving fittings along the ridge line which we leave on all night. They provide enough background light for our camera to work without the place resembling an operating theatre. We have also used a GSM dialler in the shed so that if we want more light we can ring it, turning the main lights on remotely.

The system worked exceptionally well in our first winter and I see no need to spend any more than this on lighting a suckler cow shed. I'm sure expensive lighting may have a place in dairy sheds but not in beef units.
    Foxbox, your setup sounds ideal for me. Any more details on the brand of lights you used and the approx cost would be appreciated. Thanks

COWCARE SYSTEMS

Quote Originally Posted by Reggie Hammond View Post
    What makes these lights so expensive? They are sodium or metal halide aren't they not?

Unless its the dimmer that they come with, I don't see why they are so expensive. You can buy top branded MH or HSP lights for £100.

I have a low wattage HPS light in each of my cattle sheds which I switch on at night instead of the fluorescents so in theory, its doing the same job as an agrilight if I am not mistaken?
    Yes in short you are mistaken, are all milking parlours the same. What about tractors, why is a Fendt more expensive than a Zetor. Surely they are both tractors.

Have you looked at an Agrilight close up, if so you will see what makes it so special. Agrilights pioneered the research into this subject and have been developing light fixtures to maximise results.

Burning hps at night is not like an Agrilight system, cows must have 8hrs of darkness at less than 5 lux. That is why we use red light during this period.

foxbox

Quote Originally Posted by FrTed View Post
    Foxbox, your setup sounds ideal for me. Any more details on the brand of lights you used and the approx cost would be appreciated. Thanks
    I will have a look at the invoices to see what I can find out, failing that I will get on to the electrician and find out from him. I suspect they are nothing out of the ordinary, they were bought from the local wholesaler and so far so good .

COWCARE SYSTEMS

And it would be no use at all in my beef sheds which is where the thread started
    Agrilights have proven to increase live weight gains in beef animals, heifers also reach puberty faster and illness easier to detect. If you pm me I will send you details of a large beef unit using this system.

Cambridge university farm installed agrilights into the dairy complex 2 years ago. Due to the results gained they this spring installed the system in their dry cow shed, young stock accommodation and also lambing sheds

foxbox

Quote Originally Posted by COWCARE SYSTEMS View Post
    Agrilights have proven to increase live weight gains in beef animals, heifers also reach puberty faster and illness easier to detect. If you pm me I will send you details of a large beef unit using this system.

Cambridge university farm installed agrilights into the dairy complex 2 years ago. Due to the results gained they this spring installed the system in their dry cow shed, young stock accommodation and also lambing sheds
    It's ok, I'm a daytime farmer and avoid the beef sheds at night so the lights in there are just for farm assurance.....

The calving sheds are set up already with my cheapo system and really expensive lights make me shake a little in my chair :cry: I'm all for independent research and the benefits its findings can bring to our sector but unfortunately I feel there are more ways I can spend the money being talked about improving our performance other ways

Sussex Martin

Most wholesalers will supply anti corrosive IP rated fluorescents, you can also now get LED tubes for longer life and lower running costs.

Reggie Hammond

Quote Originally Posted by COWCARE SYSTEMS View Post
    Yes in short you are mistaken, are all milking parlours the same. What about tractors, why is a Fendt more expensive than a Zetor. Surely they are both tractors.

Have you looked at an Agrilight close up, if so you will see what makes it so special. Agrilights pioneered the research into this subject and have been developing light fixtures to maximise results.

Burning hps at night is not like an Agrilight system, cows must have 8hrs of darkness at less than 5 lux. That is why we use red light during this period.
    Thats why I asked the question to clarify cause you stated figures but never stated how this light differs from any other light fixture to help justify the price. To us, it seemed you were just trying to promote an expensive light.

Anyhow, after a bit more studying and looking at the detailed spec, it appears the light fixture has two lights for two conditions for working and for sleep. For working the 250w/400w Metal Halide or HPS are used and during sleep condition, red leds are used which is a massive reduction is energy used.

The use of red led's is understandable over other colours. The reports conclude that basically the cattle perform better when the lights are out over lights being left on. The use of red led's basically means the cows see nothing like the lights are out but at the same time it allows farmers to see.

The lights are of nice design and the two light system implementation is appealing but the price is still way over the top. If you want similar research figures, just leave your lights off at night and if you want to check on the cattle, just carry a red filtered torch with you.

In other words, would you sleep well with the lights on or with the lights off? I know I wouldn't sleep well which means I wouldn't be in great shape the next day so think how a dairy cow for example would be like.

cozzie

what period of time during the winter should the lights be off for - 8hrs? as in is it beneficial to have lights coming on at 6am and going off at 10pm

Fergieman

Quote Originally Posted by cozzie View Post
    what period of time during the winter should the lights be off for - 8hrs? as in is it beneficial to have lights coming on at 6am and going off at 10pm
    Yes that is what is recommended.

16hrs daylight and 8 hrs darkness.

cozzie

Quote Originally Posted by Fergieman View Post
    Yes that is what is recommended.

16hrs daylight and 8 hrs darkness.
    100% bright or just dull light when lighting for the dark hours?

foxbox

I will have a look at the invoices to see what I can find out, failing that I will get on to the electrician and find out from him. I suspect they are nothing out of the ordinary, they were bought from the local wholesaler and so far so good .
    FrTed, not found any detail beyond the fact that they are IP65 rated units with standard tubes in. An similar example would be this. Unfortunately I've chucked the packaging and the electrician is on holiday at the moment but as I mentioned earlier they are pretty standard outdoor rated items

darkness

Get the 5ft fittings instead of the 4ft one's. Thorn are a very good make and my local dealer replaced them with Ansell and two of my 5ft had to be sent back due to being faulty. The quality of HF fliourescents vary and so does the price.

Fitzgerald I think is the name are a very good also.

Timbo_1975

Quote Originally Posted by darkness View Post
    Get the 5ft fittings instead of the 4ft one's. Thorn are a very good make and my local dealer replaced them with Ansell and two of my 5ft had to be sent back due to being faulty. The quality of HF fliourescents vary and so does the price.

Fitzgerald I think is the name are a very good also.
    +1. 5ft tubes are far more common and alot cheaper than other lenghts.

foxbox

Ours are 5 foots too, linked to the wrong page