Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Land Rents

Seat Right Back

Re: Land Rents

tenant , but Im afraid I still cant make the sums add up

maybe my calculator has broken

wellingtonfarmer1

There was 80 acres sold from same farm for 10,000 acre, which I think is still very expensive but I would prefer to pay that then pay 330 acre....

Hate to say it but I think a few farmers need to go bankrupt to stop people chasing acres and get back to rents where everyone can make something off it.

yellow belly

Quote Originally Posted by Seat Right Back View Post
    Agent wanted 180 squidlies , I think it went for a few quid less , but is a block of rabbit infested small fields that over a ten year average wasnt running at quite 3t / acre [1st wheat ,2nd wheat and barley], it is also quite bottomless in places so the new incumbant wants to keep his wits about him when he trundles his combine in , suppose I ought to tell him ,,,,,,, may be next year

have to say though that his first years crop did look well , obviously a much better grower than I and therefore it might do the yield it needs to do for him
    totally agree if land will not make 3 t then it is not worth paying over the average in rent it would be a tot more profitable to pay over the odds for good land with high yeald potential and descent buildings

when wheat was 70 a tonne rent was below the area payment
    renting extra land was very low risk
    now with farming having to pay rent 100 over area payment or more below average land is not worth renting and some one will pay too much for it
    good well drained land is still profitable but every acre has to produce

Johndeere

Any news on what the bibury land made?

sf

Quote Originally Posted by Johndeere View Post
    Any news on what the bibury land made?
    Rumour mill is saying 235 but no word on the 'LUCKY'contestant

nick channer

excess of 265 acre we were told..

Jaypee

All this chat about rents always assumes that everyone's business situation is the same and it is just a matter of yields and markets and inputs. In other words anyone with a calculator can do the maths and come up with the same answer. i.e. yes or no. But it is far more complex than that.
    For example it is easy to buy a bigger tractor/combine/drill etc but when it comes to employed labour it is a different matter. It is very difficult to employ 3/4 of a man on a permanent basis. Extra acres might pay for that 1/4 man even if it only wiped its face. The business as a whole is better off because the man is paid for and there working on the farm full time. Employing people is not a sign of weakness in a business, quite the contrary.
    British Agriculture has always been about the people who work and live on the land. Sometimes that "busy fool" the other side of the hedge is actually the one who has got it right.

DM

Quote Originally Posted by Jaypee View Post
    All this chat about rents always assumes that everyone's business situation is the same and it is just a matter of yields and markets and inputs. In other words anyone with a calculator can do the maths and come up with the same answer. i.e. yes or no. But it is far more complex than that.
    For example it is easy to buy a bigger tractor/combine/drill etc but when it comes to employed labour it is a different matter. It is very difficult to employ 3/4 of a man on a permanent basis. Extra acres might pay for that 1/4 man even if it only wiped its face. The business as a whole is better off because the man is paid for and there working on the farm full time. Employing people is not a sign of weakness in a business, quite the contrary.
    British Agriculture has always been about the people who work and live on the land. Sometimes that "busy fool" the other side of the hedge is actually the one who has got it right.
    That's true. Every business is different.

At home there is me, father who is 68 and one man who is 63. Farm is mainly stock. 180 suckler cows, 500 ewes and 350 acres of cereals

In a couple of years time they will more than likely both be retired.
    A lot of jobs with the stock really need 3 people doing them but no way I could afford to pay the wages for two full time men with the current set up.

Been offered the grazing on neighbouring 600 acre hill farm. Fathers reaction is no. Too much extra hassle and you'd have to buy more ewes and there are no handling facilities there. Whereas I'm quite keen as yes you mightn't make much more at it but if you put on enough ewes to justify a full time shepherd to go with existing GFW it could make life much easier on the whole.

nick channer

similar situation here.. i have a tree surgery company and a skip hire business.. as well as running the artic... the 800 acres arable and 500 acres grass is pretty much done in my spare time.. or time made around other interests.. for instance in harvest time i'll be at yard for 6am, take out and collect 2 or 3 skips while my 2 workers start at 8am on the trees.. i'll be back by 8.30-9.00 where i'll grease baler up etc and be off till early hours next morning... the 2 workers might be out all day on trees but there also there if needed for grain or bale cart.. we have an old boy [73] who drives the combine and one full time harvest worker who carts grain.. my dad will sit on the small baler and bale baron all day balein straw or fill in where needed..
    time permmiting i'll take baler off and put sumo on whenever poss...
    what i'm saying is other than the full time grain carter and the combine driver we have no outlay in wages at all on the farm.. what ever work i or my 2 guys do is allready covered by the other businesss's..
    the farm itself also earns as much or more in rented property and units so we have lot spare money to put back into farm or pay it out in tax.. hence we can afford higher rents for land than our neighbours.. rightly or wrongly thats the facts... i get no income from any work i do on farm but prob spend 5 months yr working there.. everyones business is diff... like i said to someone the other day who was after same bit land as us and moaning at what we payed for some land we got recently...."you bid what you can afford and we'll bid what we can afford" simple...

devils advocate

Quote Originally Posted by nick channer View Post
    similar situation here.. i have a tree surgery company and a skip hire business.. as well as running the artic... the 800 acres arable and 500 acres grass is pretty much done in my spare time.. or time made around other interests.. for instance in harvest time i'll be at yard for 6am, take out and collect 2 or 3 skips while my 2 workers start at 8am on the trees.. i'll be back by 8.30-9.00 where i'll grease baler up etc and be off till early hours next morning... the 2 workers might be out all day on trees but there also there if needed for grain or bale cart.. we have an old boy [73] who drives the combine and one full time harvest worker who carts grain.. my dad will sit on the small baler and bale baron all day balein straw or fill in where needed..
    time permmiting i'll take baler off and put sumo on whenever poss...
    what i'm saying is other than the full time grain carter and the combine driver we have no outlay in wages at all on the farm.. what ever work i or my 2 guys do is allready covered by the other businesss's..
    the farm itself also earns as much or more in rented property and units so we have lot spare money to put back into farm or pay it out in tax.. hence we can afford higher rents for land than our neighbours.. rightly or wrongly thats the facts... i get no income from any work i do on farm but prob spend 5 months yr working there.. everyones business is diff... like i said to someone the other day who was after same bit land as us and moaning at what we payed for some land we got recently...."you bid what you can afford and we'll bid what we can afford" simple...
    Perfectly fair point. But your older staff will retire one day. Yes free country to bid what you want. There are of course other things to spend money on if you should wish to.

I'm in a similar postion but happy to stay with small scale farming, horses for courses.

nick channer

Quote Originally Posted by devils advocate View Post
    Perfectly fair point. But your older staff will retire one day. Yes free country to bid what you want. There are of course other things to spend money on if you should wish to.

I'm in a similar postion but happy to stay with small scale farming, horses for courses.
    all our industrial lets are put through the farm for tax reasons... so has to be spent on farm... or buying farm land... my staff are capable of running a baler so when time comes [and hope its not for a while] i can run combine.. something i dont wanna do unless i really have to..

devils advocate

Quote Originally Posted by nick channer View Post
    all our industrial lets are put through the farm for tax reasons... so has to be spent on farm... or buying farm land... my staff are capable of running a baler so when time comes [and hope its not for a while] i can run combine.. something i dont wanna do unless i really have to..
    Whoa are you sure.

I always thought that to buy land (ie not rent) no tax advantage. You have to pay for the land & the tax too (you can understand why many would agree with this).

Combines are fun when you get used to it. Dad used to like to do it & must admit I did not fancy it anyway. When Dad suddenly became ill, I was pretty much thrown in at the deep end, but favourite job now (33 year old machine with no cab too).

steadie eddie

Quote Originally Posted by OVER-THE-HILL View Post
    Well, As the saying goes, "If you can't beat them, join them"

Any tips how to get your foot in the door and get to be one of their fav's?

I shoot (try to) but don't play golf! Any tips?
    yea dont eat yellow snow

honest john

Quote Originally Posted by doehill View Post
    Can any one tell me when you could buy farm land and make it pay. Even in the sixties when land was 200 per acre wheat was 25 a ton to me there has never been a good or bad time if you think you can make a go of it then take it.
    In those times you got 2 ton acre. ie 50 so land 4 x crop value.

So with wheat at 160 x 4 ton now = 640 + 100 sfp x 4 = 2960 acre.

Those where the good times, when people could start with very little. Not now.

Your wheat would need to be about 450+ today compaired to your example.

walter melon

Quote Originally Posted by honest john View Post

Exactly. The AMC would lend you 1 million over 25 years and would charge you 67,000 per year in repayments. So you buy 100 acres at 1 million and it sets you a rent of 670/acre for 25 years.

Ramrod

Quote Originally Posted by honest john View Post

Check your calculation, John, its 1040.

What favours are you doing to get 100/acre sfp.