Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rakes- Claydon vs. Weaving

Rob Holmes

Rakes- Claydon vs. Weaving

We've got a 6m Weaving rake, does a good enough job, had some trouble with breaking tines though.
    Been offered a 7.5m Claydon rake at a good deal, the upgrade will cost around 4500 - 5000, for 1.5 metres thats not good value, is there anything else better with the Claydon to he Weaving that i'm missing?

I know the backup and advice with the Claydon would be much better!

slugpelleter

Re: Rakes- Claydon vs. Weaving

I know the backup and advice with the Claydon would be much better![/QUOTE]

Steady there Mr. B is always here if you wish any advice re. his rake

Turbotiller

I guess the hard conditions this year would test any stubble rake and a tine or two might not survive but I am surprised you have had problems with Weavings after sales service. Normally a call to Trev. in the stores before about 3 pm will see the parts on your farm the following morning.

Rob Holmes

Ok, maybe i was a bit rash about the service and backup from Weaving

Andrew Kerr

I like the Claydon rake,but cant fault Weavings backup either

pylon dodger

has the claydon rake got better clearance than the weavings ?

only had 1 tine snap on the weaving this year but do find it tends to block up a lot or is that the idea to keep them full? find it makes a better job when empty and trash is flowing nicley. thinking of putting a row of some kind of seed harrow on the back to even lumps out and help stop ridging when harrowing suff in .

Croker

Claydon 7.5m double the price of Weaving 6m. Not sure if weaving angle is hydraulically adj. though.

Weaving just need to make/source a nice 3m strip till tine drill....I think I'll give them a call got to be an opportunity with others at 30k/3m

strip-till-phil

Weaving is not hydraulically adjustable and only has 4 rows of tines whereas the Claydon rake has 5 rows and is hydro adjustable, not broke any tines over 750 hard acres this year, will use it for the grass in spring, very satisfied with our Claydon rake so far

Phil

CESSNA

What about "Degelman" straw harrow from Canada,really cover some ground.Or "Phoenix" rotary harrow from Canada.

CESSNA

Phillips rotary harrow alsofrom Canada looks a good machine on You Tube Video. Ideal machine for creating stale seed bed in a hurry ??

Jim Bullock

Many rakes be they Bugnot, Claydon, Degelman, Eco-Mulch, Flexi-coil, Tillso and so on use the Canadian 12" double coil tine so they are all a bit like sprayers with the same nozzles...all just as good as the tine. The Kockerling, Weaving and the Techmagri rakes use individually clamped tines so tine spacing can be adjusted...which can be very useful in our varied conditions. On the move tine adjustment makes a rake more versatile enabling it to be used for anything from re-distributing crop residues, to covering seed, to levelling ploughing, to re-instating "gallops".!

Rob Holmes

We converted ours to hydralic adjustment, it's made it a lot better, we just seem to be breaking a lot of tines this year (at the coil), i don't think it's badly set up, the tines are in the vertical position, they don't seem to work when swept back, the top link is in the slotted hole and is floating nicely, but still got the problem with tines, i think we've broken 10 over 600 acres!

SorenIlsoe

I am very satisfied with the Weawing stubble rake bought this summer. It makes more work than I had thought. Very new until now, so maybe thats why broken tines has not been seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvIV1GUfydw

lexion610

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Holmes View Post
    i think we've broken 10 over 600 acres!
    This is our 2nd year with the weaving and we've broken about 13 this year.. we had no blockages either..

Andrew Kerr

Quote Originally Posted by lexion610 View Post
    This is our 2nd year with the weaving and we've broken about 13 this year.. we had no blockages either..
    At over 20 each thats getting costly IMO!

York

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Rob,

There are some better rakes in Germany than the claydon. I'll have a gander for you at Agritechnica next month and let you know. I can't remember the name but there was a green one 2 yrs ago that looked very handy.
    Lee,
    you want a used one of this "green" one? Not far from Agritechnica. 6 m, 3-pioint, hydraulic adjustable, little used. Waiting for the right time to get of the farm. Visit can be arranged.....

I know of many Degelmann Harrows which haven't got any tines broken. Best recycling for tines is, when tooo short due to wear, is weld on of good old "concreate reinforcing steel rod". Have a user which has now a harrow which is a 9 m one, does well above 1000 ha a year, and has used now at least teh 2nd time a weld on on the same tine. Not nice for sales person, as nothing he can make in after sales.
    York-Th.

marco

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Kerr View Post
    how the hell can they be 20?????? how thick are they? i priced some 12mm(i think. possibly 10mm) they were 4.50 each.

Rob Holmes

Quote Originally Posted by marco View Post
    how the hell can they be 20?????? how thick are they? i priced some 12mm(i think. possibly 10mm) they were 4.50 each.
    Genuine weaving 16 mm are about 17 each

kpa

If the tines are any good in the first place you should be able to weld on new points
    Gates Chrome Wear Tips are designed to extend the life of your harrow tines, no matter what brand. Made of weldable chromium carbide, they are the hardest material that can still be conventionally welded to the tine. This patented product (U.S. patent # 6,425,446) can extend the life of the hardened spring steel tine by up to 10 times (at least a 4 X value proposition over buying new tines). Tines with these tips also penetrate the ground much better.

Andrew Kerr

Quote Originally Posted by kpa View Post
    If the tines are any good in the first place you should be able to weld on new points
    Keith,

Our harrow tines have always broken around the coil,which is difficult to weld.

I think the early Bullock rakes have less of a problem,if any at all.

kpa

Andrew
    Our is a Gates Magnum no tines broken yet with tines 9/16", may do the points for next year.

Feldspar

I was wondering what people thought of the updated version of the Weaving rake. As far as I understand it now has an extra row of tines and is now hydraulically adjustable. 10k for the Claydon 7.5m and 8900 (I think) for the 8m Weaving - which would you buy?

Has any one experienced tine breakages with the Claydon?

Andrew Kerr

I think the Claydon is the best UK built harrow myself, our Weaving is good value but not quite as well finished.

charlie brown

We have a Techmagri bought two years ago second hand, so dont know how much work it had done , but havent broken any yet (bent two though when unfolding with the machine not high enough of the ground )

It can do a really aggresive job if you want, and has replaceable bolt on tips.

cb

ChrisB

I think the Claydon is the best UK built harrow myself, our Weaving is good value but not quite as well finished.
    Andrew
    Have you any experience of the Tilso Rake & Roll? This is our second autumn of No-Till after purchasing a Simba Great Plains last year so we intend to trial as many rakes as possible this season.

I like the idea of the following roll to maintain a continuous even depth over the width of the machine and the consolidation of the soil to help with establishing a stale seedbed.....not that moisture seems to be a concern this season!

I would be interested to hear your thoughts.

Jim Bullock

Rakes are like sprayers...a sprayer is only as good as it's jets (the rest of the sprayer booms etc.. is a means of holding the jet at a certain distance above the crop and applying the right amount of product for the speed the jet is travelling) a rake is as good as its tines..you either go for individual tines as found on the Techmagri or Weaving machines or you go for the Canadian type double tines as on the Claydon and many others...they both work well. The latest Weaving has five rows of tines and has on the move angle adjustment...very similar to the Claydon...
    Neither will work well in wet straw...
    Just brought the Flexitine in out of the nettles (again)

Jim Bullock

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisB View Post
    Andrew
    Have you any experience of the Tilso Rake & Roll? This is our second autumn of No-Till after purchasing a Simba Great Plains last year so we intend to trial as many rakes as possible this season.

I like the idea of the following roll to maintain a continuous even depth over the width of the machine and the consolidation of the soil to help with establishing a stale seedbed.....not that moisture seems to be a concern this season!

The problem with an integral roll (rake) is that it will lift up over any lumps of trash...allowing all the rest of the residue out of the rake...which lifts the roll even higher...so the net effect of the roll is to make the working depth even less continuous (we tried this 10 + years ago and abandoned the idea)..a better solution is to tow an independant roll behind the rake so the roll can follow the contours and lumps without effecting the rake.
    An all in one unit would probably work well under dry conditions or where there are few lumps of residue..then forget the rake and why not use a roll with paddles...

Andrew Kerr

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisB View Post
    Andrew

Chris,

Really rolling and raking together makes little sense as one needs speed and the other slow pace to work
    I would rather spend the money on a Vaddy Carrier personally.At least that can be used on ploughing or as a better chitting tool.It can be fitted with a rake in front[of sorts!]

Sumo

We made a rake with a roll on the back, some of you may have seen it at our open days, but as Andrew said the roller at 20kmh is useless, it's just an expensive form of depth control.

York

Quote Originally Posted by Sumo View Post
    We made a rake with a roll on the back, some of you may have seen it at our open days, but as Andrew said the roller at 20kmh is useless, it's just an expensive form of depth control.
    Well said....
    Racking:
    we have many rakes working, in dry years. the once which are used than are mainly Canadian design and pull type, not 3-point linked.
    A wet year is not a "rake" year. Just leave it in the nettels...
    And with wet we mean a condition when the combine would be not in the field for harvest. The straw must be brittle. So when a farmer from EST called me and asked me to come over to do a consultancy I went but after we looked at his climate conditions during harvest, 70+% of grain needs to be dried, I directly told him to forget the rake.
    York-Th.