Thread: John Deere 3200 Telehandler

John Deere 3200 Telehandler

Hi, I have a John Deere 3200 telehandler with a few faults. When it gets warm the steering becomes quite heavy and the transmission starts to surge. Could these problems be related? Any help would be great! Cheers

Re: John Deere 3200 Telehandler

Quote Originally Posted by RBeard View Post
    Hi, I have a John Deere 3200 telehandler with a few faults. When it gets warm the steering becomes quite heavy and the transmission starts to surge. Could these problems be related? Any help would be great! Cheers
    no not really.

Sounds like its going to get expensive though

I was thinking it might be a torqu converter on its way out! Is there any kind of priority valve for the steering?

Any ideas on what it might be? I was thinking probably a torque converter and maybe a priority valve problem.

The torque converter is only a small part of the transmission system.

Assuming you have checked the oil level and have the correct amount in it. (don't trust the dipstick on these many were too long!)

If you drained it out and refilled it then about 15 to 16 litres is about were they should be. if you have the ling dipstick then you will only get about 9 litres in it!

If that's okay then its likely the transmission clutch packs and seals are worn plus a worn pump. this means dropping gear box out and overhauling it then taking engine out to replace torque converter and transmission pump.

Steering could be a worn main hyd pump or the steering priority valve. often if a priority valve plays up it will be stuck one way or the other so no steering. so as you say yours is stiff then I would expect hyd pump. A pressure test while oil is hot will give you a better idea whats going on.

Like I said it could get expensive.