Thread: Kuhn 40.1 fertiliser spreader

Kuhn 40.1 fertiliser spreader

I bought a second hand Kuhn 40.1 fert spreader to allow me to vary rate P and K. All wired up and all the boxes speaking to each other. First thing was to enter the pulses from the tractor to the control box while driving over 100 metres which was measured exactly with a metering wheel backed up by the tractor readout.

First job was to apply 247 kgs/ha of Nitrogen. I'm finding I have to reduce the number in the control box to 230 kgs/ha to get near the 247 kgs/ha required and that the amount applied varies from 256 - 230 kgs/ha despite me maintaining the same speed.

Could it be due to the fact the conditions in the field (softish) are different to the 100 metre calibration test done on hard tarmac? Is wheel slip over the 100 metres in the field affecting the machine?

Some fields are bang on 247 while others are too much or too little.

Any help much appreciated. Machine has been calibrated, checked and passed on its annual test

Re: Kuhn 40.1 fertiliser spreader

Quote Originally Posted by beetcleaner View Post
    I bought a second hand Kuhn 40.1 fert spreader to allow me to vary rate P and K. All wired up and all the boxes speaking to each other. First thing was to enter the pulses from the tractor to the control box while driving over 100 metres which was measured exactly with a metering wheel backed up by the tractor readout.

First job was to apply 247 kgs/ha of Nitrogen. I'm finding I have to reduce the number in the control box to 230 kgs/ha to get near the 247 kgs/ha required and that the amount applied varies from 256 - 230 kgs/ha despite me maintaining the same speed.

Could it be due to the fact the conditions in the field (softish) are different to the 100 metre calibration test done on hard tarmac? Is wheel slip over the 100 metres in the field affecting the machine?

Some fields are bang on 247 while others are too much or too little.

Any help much appreciated. Machine has been calibrated, checked and passed on its annual test
    It will vary a bit with ground conditions. Can you not link to your GPS for true speed ?

Re: Kuhn 40.1 fertiliser spreader

We have the same machine and found it to be pretty accurate generally, Fields rarely work out perfectly due to the overlaps on endrigs and ins and outs though.
    If you are constantly needing to reduce the rate in the box either the weigher or your calibration must be a bit out. Ours very rarely weighs a bag of fert at 500 or 600kg nearly always a few kgs light assume that's the manufacturer maximising the allowable error in the weight of a bag.
    If i remember rightly we calibrated ours in a grass field rather than on the road, it might have recommended that in the book. It prob makes a fair difference between running on a hard road and a ploughed field.
    You haven't changed the tractor or put on narrow tyres since calibrating have you?
    We tend to keep our eye on the flow factor it can fairly change if you get a wet bag of fert.