Thread: BVD.

BVD.

Whats happening now adays on the BVD. front, are many parts of England BVD free, talking to a young vet the other day he said a lot of cows were dying of this disease, surely with new tests and the risks involved, this disease should be on its way out, or is it ?

milkyway

Re: BVD.

Quote Originally Posted by milkyway View Post
    Whats happening now adays on the BVD. front, are many parts of England BVD free, talking to a young vet the other day he said a lot of cows were dying of this disease, surely with new tests and the risks involved, this disease should be on its way out, or is it ?

milkyway
    BVD eradication in England is beginning but in it's early stages; there certainly aren't any areas of the country that can declare themselves free of the disease yet. It's a really easy disease to eradicate but it does require a combined effort which traditionally our industry has been rubbish at without some sort of legislation to help things along. As for a lot of cows dying of the disease; I'd doubt that is the case. My understanding is that the disease has a marked effect on PI's at a young age but if they make it in to adulthood most of them live with the disease (spreading it around as they do so) as poor dooers. Eradication programmes in Switzerland and the like have found adult cattle over 10 years old and apparently healthy that turn out to be PI's so it's not a given that it kills cattle.

It's really easy to join BVDFree and really easy to find out if you have a problem too. If you test a number of calves at weaning using tag and test you'll find out if they've had contact with a PI; if they have the cost of finding that PI will likely be recouped in increased performance in the herd very quickly. I've pinched the slide below from Mary Vickers at AHDB Beef & Lamb, it's a great illustration of the potential costs of the disease.

Stay in Northamptonshire - meadowviewcottages.co.uk

The way we finally became a Brucellosis free country was when the gov. specified a number of B/free cattle markets, making it difficult for the waverers to get top price for their cattle, hitting the pocket soon got results, pity they didn't do it five years sooner, l think if the gov did the same thing today with BVD. we would be BVD free sooner rather than later, anyone on here against this?????

A friend of mine had aBVD test on his pedigree suckler herd and was all clear apart from one old cow which failed badly, problem was he had sold pedigree bulls all over the country for a number of years, he had to bite his tongue and get all the ones he sold tested for BVD. all were clear, the old cow was around twelve year old and looked the fittest in the herd.
    l was shocked at the young vet telling me about the BVD cattle deaths as l had never heard of any for a number of years, fifteen to be exact, when my disease free dairy herd was wiped out when some stray bullocks broke in to our herd, l had not vaccinated mine so we lost over four hundred head, l rang nearly every vet cente all over the country to find out what was killing my cattle, all said BVD will not kill your cattle, we had no proof for a few months until one cow that had been infected aborted a calf with positive BVD so if there is still anyone in the 240+ views who has not vaccinated, watch out, if there is anyone out there who has had cows die of this disease l would like to hear.

milkyway