Thread: Xzeres 442sr

chips

Xzeres 442sr

Anybody got one or views on them , Looking to put one up on a 6m/s site . Did look into a bigger Harbon turbine but felt it was too big a commitment for the business should the wind not blow as claimed , because we use lecy 24/7 with a milking robot we should be able to utilise a lot of the production ourselves and the site is unobstructed and the highest point for miles in all directions , so would we be safe in banking on around 19000kw per year as the feasibility study is claiming ?
    All help and views appreciated as it's difficult to get any truly 100% independent advice .

Lodestar

Re: Xzeres 442sr

Sounds about right.

From what I can tell xzeres isnt the best producer of power at the 10 ->12kw level but they are going for simple and easy to maintain machine, with good warrentry.

Xzeres has been accredited since march and since that time have managed to put 1 up. But the installers managed to balls it up so not seen what it can do yet. Though they've been going in other countries for years.

VG energy (a big installer of wind turbines) needed to replace the defuct provens since they went bust, and have gone with xzeres in a big way so i expect 100's of the buggers to be appearing shortly.

Alternatives to xzeres are the evocco which im not keen on, and the c&f 11kw. Thou I dont really see the point of the c&f11 you might as well get a 15e it still works on single phase and its better in everyway.

The xzeres will probobly cause you less hassle and cheaper, but the c&f is quieter and will produce alot more.

FlashHowie

I saw the Xzeres at Agriscot with its blades and tail on.
    I agree with you guys its not going to break production records but like the old fashioned Dickie Windmills that dotted the countryside years ago they will just turn and turn. They should get John Wayne to advertise them.
    The boy I talked too emphasized the lack of maintenance needed. And its class 2.
    Sealed bearings, static blades (although I have been told that this is like a bicycle without gears) and the big tail out the back continually swings the turbine into the wind. No need for yaw motor.
    Weirdly enough the direct drive generator is built into the nose cone.
    I don't think it will win prizes for being pretty but with a 5 year warranty you don't need to spent on maintenance until year 8 and with the 10 year I presume is not until year 13.
    I'm fed up with these vanity turbines promising the world, what the Xzeres machine will lack for in output you won't be spending on maintenance.

I've got a 7m/s site 250m up the hill behind the steading and would hope to get a pretty good return. We are a 150 cow dairy consuming a lot of electric and I need to start saving and producing the stuff. I am not predicting my production because after last year (the worse for wind in 40 years) energy production will be like producing spring barley. One year you'll be doing 3 tonnes to the acre, the next like this year, 1.5 tonnes. But if you average two tonnes you''ll be doing fine. I think we have to be realistic.

tom

Hi Chips, I'm looking at doing just the same so let me know how you get on or any pitfalls you find, thanks.

Karatekid

I'm also looking at this turbine due to it having 7yrs run history and simple design. I researched evoco and c&f and would not touch either with a barge pole however a bergy if certified would also be a good option.

Evoco are made in shanghai and put together in Yorkshire, nice looking but have had issues with tower base plates which I believe is sorted only for the blades to start breaking.

C&F are not built in Ireland unless the isle of wight and china are areas of Ireland plus spoke to NGS who are on news link on the c&f website claiming to be Ireland's number one reseller, they nolonger sell them !!

It's a minefield!!

chips

Quote Originally Posted by tom View Post
    Hi Chips, I'm looking at doing just the same so let me know how you get on or any pitfalls you find, thanks.
    Well I can tell you the first pitfall , straight off , the price it amazes me with all makes how something with realtivley few parts and development can cost so much , after all with direct drive you just have a 10kw generator conected to an inverter and some blades on the other end stuck on 15metres of steel pole , surely 10k tops

BigAndy

Quote Originally Posted by chips View Post
    Well I can tell you the first pitfall , straight off , the price it amazes me with all makes how something with realtivley few parts and development can cost so much , after all with direct drive you just have a 10kw generator conected to an inverter and some blades on the other end stuck on 15metres of steel pole , surely 10k tops
    Yeah we all wish:lolk: but the thought has occurred to me many times:lolk:

FlashHowie

Hi All,
    Just had a Quote in from our local Evoco dealer
    60k all in
    Had a chat at the Highland Show about the single
    Phase Gaia but just wonder when it's going to hit the market.
    I beleive the Xzeres is 45,000 on a 15m pole, but prices may go up. Even so it still competitively priced.
    The big chap at agri scot said it was a 2500 deposit that's to hold the price, and do the planning and line survey.
    All going well I should get the Xzeres in the ground before the end of March.

A mate of mine had the C&f guy out and he could not guarantee the turbine up and spinning before the end of March.
    Their MCS story just keeps on rumbling.

Lodestar

I talked to a Gaia representantive and she didnt think it would be comming out on single pahse any time soon, even when it comes out it'll take a while to go though MCS.

It's a shame because there's been rumours for ages, wether it'll ever be released I dunno

scots_knight

Quote Originally Posted by Karatekid View Post
    I'm also looking at this turbine due to it having 7yrs run history and simple design. I researched evoco and c&f and would not touch either with a barge pole however a bergy if certified would also be a good option.

Evoco are made in shanghai and put together in Yorkshire, nice looking but have had issues with tower base plates which I believe is sorted only for the blades to start breaking.

C&F are not built in Ireland unless the isle of wight and china are areas of Ireland plus spoke to NGS who are on news link on the c&f website claiming to be Ireland's number one reseller, they nolonger sell them !!

It's a minefield!!

I think I must be missing something then judging by there web site

"NGS Energy provide wind turbines that are 100% Irish designed, tested and manufactured. Our turbines are built for Class 1 wind by C&F Green Energy"

http://www.ngsenergy.ie/page23.php

Who did you speak to ?

What make do they sell now ?

Karatekid

Hi Scott , phone NGS yourself i don't want to get anyone into bother, or ask c&f if NGS are still no1 reseller?? I called them and the guy said they don't deal in turbines and have not dealt with c&f since dec2010 due to health and safety plus warranty issues.. Im giving you as much help as I can but surely you can lift the phone urself!!

Hopefully if I have time tomorrow il show u the product manual on here as class 1 is ridiculous !!

kinnevar

XZERES 442SR

Don't touch these with a barge-pole!

We had one installed five months ago and it has been nothing but trouble. Firstly, we could see it wasn't spinning evenly and within weeks it started developing 'Hard Faults' and we had to keep resetting it to get it started again. Then six weeks' after installation it went into overspin and burned out. We waited two months for it to be repaired and it was up and running again. However, this turbine doesn't like the wind and was cutting out as wind speeds of only 16-18m/s (36-40mph), which are a regular occurrence where we are.

It would stay off for at least four hours but sometimes 8 hours or even 12 hours and then restart of its own accord. This happened on a regular basis. We complained again and were told the wind cutout speed had been increased (to 22m/s) and the downtime changed to 15 minutes. The turbine ran for less than a fortnight without interruption and then cutout as expected at a wind speed of just over 22m/s. However, instead of restarting after 15 minutes, it stayed off for 24 hours, even although by then the wind speed had reduced to just 7m/s for quite a few hours. Today, we have the same situation. It has now been off for 12 hours already and we can only wait to see when it decides to start turning again.

I would also point out that there another five local turbines of other makes which are all happily turning at even the highest wind speeds we have been having so this turbine's poor function cannot be blamed on excessive wind speeds.

In the five months we have had it, it has been turning for just three fifths of the time it has been operational and much of that has been to it shutting down just when the wind increases to a level where it should be running at full capacity.

I should add that 22m/s is what it was increased to so what was it before? (The website doesn't tell you). Other makes regularly state 25m/s as their cutout speed.

RGT

Is that name with it so long 442 sr mean it has been modified/altered/re-badged to the first ones?

kinnevar

I don't know but we did a lot of research before we opted for this one and everything we read was positive. Maybe we've just been really unfortunate but we've completely lost confidence in it.

It finally restarted 15 hours after shutting down so I wonder if it has been incorrectly set to a downtime of 15 hours instead of 15 minutes! I'll be back on at them again on Monday morning. They are in the US and I don't even need to say where I am - they all know exactly who it is just by my name!

The wind is blowing a little outside - I suppose the turbine will shut down again any time soon...

BigW

They are the most trouble some turbines in my area, personally i wouldn't have one.

big_phil

Hi this conpany are crooks . I paid 8 k for two xzeres power effeciency boxes which came with a full 60 day money back claim back in march amd installed in may . They never worked and they took them out again but have never repaid my money back as yet !! I will have to take legal advice.

big_phil

Only last week paul deans thier head uk salesman resigned ! so its not looking good for this company or my refund !

big_phil

I fitted two power efficiency boxes that claimed to save up to 20 % of my electricity.

The three phase box would not even work from the start because it did not like my 50 kW solar array in the electric system. Nearly blew all the electrics on our 50 point rotary parlour. Close one.

The single phase box showed no signs of savings over three months. Waste of time. As have the other boxes installed in Scotland. Xzeres even sized the boxes to suit the systems.

Xzeres head man emailed me three months ago to say they would refund me after they took the boxes out. Their Electrian took both boxes out 6 weeks ago and I have not received a penny on their 60 day money back guarantee!

While the installer was pulling his hair out trying to get my boxes to work and another 4 he had installed in Scotland. Xzeres just stood back with no support.

After the Xzeres master Electrian in America finally admitted that none of the boxes were suitable for the UK, the installer was told to take the boxes out and resell them !
    Then buy new stock from Xzeres.

Re xzeres442sr

Quote Originally Posted by BigW View Post
    They are the most trouble some turbines in my area, personally i wouldn't have one.
    Well, Just seven more days and we go head to head with VG Energy and Xzeres over what has been"apart from bubblegum sheep tags" the most useless piece of equipment I've ever had the displeasure to own in my nearly fifty years farming career.My Xzeres 442sr, installed July 2012 went into overspin in October.Two months down time for new blades and new alternator. Wait for it, March 2013 alternator gone again,five and a half months waiting for alternator from Xzeres. VG Energy say, not their fault as Xzeres couldn't supply part. Quite frankly I wouldn't sell lawn mowers without having a reliable back up spares supply in place

Good luck Kinnevar. Shocking whether supplier or manufacturer - either way it ain't your fault so you should have your money back plus interest at the very least!

VG energy still wants to install another alternator despite the previous one burning out in just 5 months and refuse to consider our request to compensate us for lost earnings and replace the turbine with a different make. They now agree, as we told them, that they didn't in fact replace the alternator after the first breakdown! We have now reached a stalemate and are taking other action.

My wife commented today, "this is the 3rd Christmas we've had the wind turbine & the 3rd Christmas it's been broken down." How does it know ? Just how does it know?.

The muddy edge of the biggest puddle in the uk