Thread: Peasant's Versadrill??

Mark C

Peasant's Versadrill??

Have just dipped my toe into the DD drill market by buying and old 3m Moore Unidrill, which has been converted to an Accord hopper from the original sulky one.

Having previously had our rape and latterly wheat drilled with a claydon I was considering hitching a 3m toolbar in front of the drill to do a bit of loosening for rape. Something like an opico vartilth with 6 tines 500mm spaced. I have blatently ripped the idea from a vid Lee posted earlier in the year of something similar in frront of a vaddy drill.

Any thoughts??

smorgan

Re: Peasant's Versadrill??

I put a tow bar on shakerator and tried towing my moore, soil damp at the time kept blocking the drill

Andrew Kerr

Quote Originally Posted by Mark C View Post
    Have just dipped my toe into the DD drill market by buying and old 3m Moore Unidrill, which has been converted to an Accord hopper from the original sulky one.

Having previously had our rape and latterly wheat drilled with a claydon I was considering hitching a 3m toolbar in front of the drill to do a bit of loosening for rape. Something like an opico vartilth with 6 tines 500mm spaced. I have blatently ripped the idea from a vid Lee posted earlier in the year of something similar in frront of a vaddy drill.

Any thoughts??
    How about a grassland minimal disturbance subsoiler with the Moore towed behind?
    Would leave land firmer for the drill, and you could also use the subsoiler for grass and other crops like cereals or maize maybe.

Mark C

Have a 3m shakerator but ruled it out as lifting too high at the back for a hitch to be fitted but guess a hyd top link would help.

A sumo grassland subsoiler is on the shopping list but that's as far as it has got at the mo

Andrew Kerr

Have a 3m shakerator but ruled it out as lifting too high at the back for a hitch to be fitted but guess a hyd top link would help.

A sumo grassland subsoiler is on the shopping list but that's as far as it has got at the mo
    I am sure Sumo would put a suitably strong headstock/hitch on it for you Mark?

7810 pilot

mark just build a bridge link like old mf 30,s had that comes off top link area

moldengineer

We are welding a tool bar with 5 simba LD legs in it in front of our 3m Horsch Pronto as a bit of an experiment in one pass drilling. We were looking at hitching the drill behind a tool bar such as the close coupled shakerator or quivogne pluto front end but decided that integrating it into the drill was a better idea as the drill is trailed.

Will probably carrier in front to get a chit then spray and go in with the drill.

ploughman_1959

This was a bit more expensive than your proposed outfit Mark, but we had the drill, and I cut up an old Coopers topsoiler frame that had retied to the nettles a few years back, added 5 new shakerator legs and some link arms from a J.D. that the Lexion Man sourced for us and the result was good.

Mark C

That looks good!

bigol

Quote Originally Posted by ploughman_1959 View Post
    This was a bit more expensive than your proposed outfit Mark, but we had the drill, and I cut up an old Coopers topsoiler frame that had retied to the nettles a few years back, added 5 new shakerator legs and some link arms from a J.D. that the Lexion Man sourced for us and the result was good.
    those days were a bit different from when the combi drill was followed behind your Same and plough

ploughman_1959

Quote Originally Posted by bigol View Post
    those days were a bit different from when the combi drill was followed behind your Same and plough
    Different ploughman, you must be quoting Ploughman 1963, I have never owned a Same and never likely too, but PM 1963 liked the bloody things, each to his own I suppose

bigol

i do apologize. that's me skim reading too fast

i believe he kept the same for many years with little problems haha

ploughman_1959

Quote Originally Posted by bigol View Post
    i do apologize. that's me skim reading too fast

i believe he kept the same for many years with little problems haha

Yes he certainly did, and I take my hat off to that very resilient gentleman for suffering the bloody thing for sooooo many hrs, I like quality so used to by green goats followed by Bavarian engineering excellence from Fendt

hollister

Cultivation solutions make a frame to tow a vaderstad rapid
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn_DpkFGO2I

moldengineer

Just finished welding it up. Painted yesterday. Sadly waiting for the main lift ram to be re conditioned before we can give it a go.

There will be 5 simba ld legs running at unto 10 inches deep. We will put a front tank on for fert when drilling OSR. Will put the pipes down the back of or either side of the ld legs. Only the coulters either side of the legs will be used for osr, so 5 paired rows in 3m.

Neddy Flanders

Quote Originally Posted by moldengineer View Post
    Just finished welding it up. Painted yesterday. Sadly waiting for the main lift ram to be re conditioned before we can give it a go.

There will be 5 simba ld legs running at unto 10 inches deep. We will put a front tank on for fert when drilling OSR. Will put the pipes down the back of or either side of the ld legs. Only the coulters either side of the legs will be used for osr, so 5 paired rows in 3m.
    is that drawbar sstrong enough??
    Looks great idea?
    Alot of stress sideways on that main drawbar beam?

moldengineer

The drawbar is very thick steel so am hoping that all will be OK. The way we have supported the new tine holder beam will add strength also. There is plenty of steel in the framework from the drawbar down and from the drill chassis forward.

Rust

Is there enough room for the leg to fall back when a shear bolt brakes ??

Looks a top job

Profi Farmer

Mold have you put the tines on the Pronto, if so why the Vaddy looking system disc?

moldengineer

Because our pronto is actually a DSD3 (forerunner to the pronto) which we bought with an extremely worn out sampo type cultivator in it. Therefore we installed a Vaderstad system disc setup

Profi Farmer

Thanks for the explanation. Looks a tidy job.

moldengineer

Got it painted before Christmas. Here are some pics.

The problem we are going to have is that to get the tines out of work will require the headstock to be lifted quite high thus the PTO shaft on the fan maybe at too sharp an angle. We do have the option of making it hydraulic or to use the headland management to start and stop the fan at the ends.

Belvoir juicer

A great looking conversion!

Nearly

thought I'd tag this on here.

shakerator legs on ebay, be quick.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/McConnel-s...item35b8b7300d

boris

a very nice job but dont you think those tines in a such a straight row will roll some big slabs out be a shame to have to get the power harrow out the nettles to level it . mr sumos grass leg only has 2-3" wings in front of the moore

steviehouston

Quote Originally Posted by moldengineer View Post
    Got it painted before Christmas. Here are some pics.

The problem we are going to have is that to get the tines out of work will require the headstock to be lifted quite high thus the PTO shaft on the fan maybe at too sharp an angle. We do have the option of making it hydraulic or to use the headland management to start and stop the fan at the ends.

Tidy job!

moldengineer

Quote Originally Posted by boris View Post
    a very nice job but dont you think those tines in a such a straight row will roll some big slabs out be a shame to have to get the power harrow out the nettles to level it . mr sumos grass leg only has 2-3" wings in front of the moore
    We haven't used it yet but a thought I did have was that the wings may need making narrower. I would doubt that we will have issues with big slabs though, soil is in good order. I would argue that the wing width needs to vary according to soil conditions, thinking out loud, if the conditions are dry and hard then narrow wings will do but in damper and lighter soils then a wider wing would be used. Will find out in a couple of weeks.