Thread: Kidd concrete-filled flat roll ???

Kidd concrete-filled flat roll ???

I am re-furbishing a Kidd 8ft concrete-filled flat roll, it has two drums. I have removed the flange bearings at each end, including the housings and the inner races. But I'm unsure as to how to proceed to separate the two drums which I need to do. The shaft arrangement on the o/s is totally different to the one on the n/s. Although the actual shaft that the bearings sit on look the same size on both sides it appears that the o/s is attached to a much larger tube which in turn revolves inside an even larger tube which seems to be attached to the end plates of the o/s drum.

I wonder if the rolls were originally completely assembled and then the concrete was poured in through a hole in the drums. There is a visible circular patch that could have been welded after the concrete was presumably vibrated. My concern is that because the drums will weigh about 2 tns each that if I pull them apart I may not be able to get them back together again !!!

I know it's going back a bit but has anyone any knowledge of these things and how they were made ?

Thanks for any help.

Re: Kidd concrete-filled flat roll ???

Quote Originally Posted by zaza View Post
    I am re-furbishing a Kidd 8ft concrete-filled flat roll, it has two drums. I have removed the flange bearings at each end, including the housings and the inner races. But I'm unsure as to how to proceed to separate the two drums which I need to do. The shaft arrangement on the o/s is totally different to the one on the n/s. Although the actual shaft that the bearings sit on look the same size on both sides it appears that the o/s is attached to a much larger tube which in turn revolves inside an even larger tube which seems to be attached to the end plates of the o/s drum.

I wonder if the rolls were originally completely assembled and then the concrete was poured in through a hole in the drums. There is a visible circular patch that could have been welded after the concrete was presumably vibrated. My concern is that because the drums will weigh about 2 tns each that if I pull them apart I may not be able to get them back together again !!!

I know it's going back a bit but has anyone any knowledge of these things and how they were made ?

Thanks for any help.

Hello Zaza

I've only just seen your post. I have had kidd rollers for 40 odd years. How have you got on with the refurbishment? I don't know if you tried to separate the 2 rollers, I don't understand why you would need to, as they are very heavy.

You probably discovered that one roller incorporates the axle for the other one. I think that you are correct in your thinking as to how they were filled. The only maintenance required is the greasing (sparingly) of the flange bearings and the greasing (a lot) of the loose roller that has a grease nipple on the end.

Kidd used to recommend 3 pumps per season of the flange bearings and 7 lbs. on the end nipple.

You have to separate the two rolls because, as you realise, one of them has the permanent shaft as part of it and the other roll revolves around it. When they were manufactured Kidds used to weld a couple (may heve been three) of wear strips on the permanent shaft. These wear out or disappear over time and need to be replaced. Originally these strips were 100mm wide but I would not have been able to bend strips of this size round the shaft properly and so I used many bands of smaller sized steel as per the photo. It was also necessary to make a new spacer that goes between the cylinders to stop htem rubbing together in the middle and also a new end "washer" welded on to the end of the free roll to keep the gap between the two cylinders to the what it should be.

On the roll that I acquired there a few cracks in the end plates which needed welding up and one of the patches over the holes that were welded on after they had filled them with concrete had all come undone and so that was completely cut out, cleaned up and welded back in place again.

Roll6(small).jpg

Well done. How did you get it apart and back together?

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy Sod View Post
    Well done. How did you get it apart and back together?
    It came part quite easy really. Ran the complete roll up on to some strips of wood so that I could get some straps underneath the loose cylinder and then lift very slightly and with a bit of judicous slewing and pushing the dipper and extenda-dig out it all came apart.

Then when I had split it the first job was to tip them up to attend to the end plates.

Rebuilding was a reversal of the above but when I had got the two cylinders together I found that I had to stand at the fixed end and pull the free-wheeling cylinder in tight to it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I can't think what you could do with an old one that was not repairable. The drawbar frame and the fixed axle tube, if cut off, would go for scrap, but I don't know what anyone could do with the concrete rolls.

Having done your repair, that won't be your problem for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy Sod View Post
    I can't think what you could do with an old one that was not repairable. The drawbar frame and the fixed axle tube, if cut off, would go for scrap, but I don't know what anyone could do with the concrete rolls.

Having done your repair, that won't be your problem for a long time.
    It would have to be a very catastrophic incident that had caused the roll to be irreparable in my opinion. Apart from the cylinders the drawbar/frame etc. are just channel & box. The biggest problem would be the stub shafts that the bearings fit on but even then I think that things could be repaired/replaced.

If you did want to get rid of the cylinders themselves for scrap purposes then you would just cut one end plate off each cylinder and jack hammer the contents. It isn't concrete in the usual sense, there is no gravel in the mix as far as I could see. I think it must have been sharp sand and a bit of cement. It was vibrated after being poured in the cylinders but it still looked like a very weak mix from what I saw of it.

Kind regards - zaza@Kiddrollrepairs.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by zaza View Post
    It would have to be a very catastrophic incident that had caused the roll to be irreparable in my opinion. Apart from the cylinders the drawbar/frame etc. are just channel & box. The biggest problem would be the stub shafts that the bearings fit on but even then I think that things could be repaired/replaced.

If you did want to get rid of the cylinders themselves for scrap purposes then you would just cut one end plate off each cylinder and jack hammer the contents. It isn't concrete in the usual sense, there is no gravel in the mix as far as I could see. I think it must have been sharp sand and a bit of cement. It was vibrated after being poured in the cylinders but it still looked like a very weak mix from what I saw of it.

Kind regards - zaza@Kiddrollrepairs.co.uk
    Not missing out on one zaza!

Quote Originally Posted by Ulscots View Post
    Not missing out on one zaza!
    You know what they say :
    If you want to find an idiot in the countryside - bring one with you.

(Actually that used to be more true than it is nowadays)