Thread: Beware of poor fitting non-genuine MFcab air filters

Beware of poor fitting non-genuine MFcab air filters

Had the MF6480 in for a 1200hrs service and found that the new non-OE cab air filter (Orange) has a problem where it seals up against the cab ducting. Its easy to bung the new filter in its tray and then slide it into the roof, twist the locking handle and then shut the access door, but if you wiggle the tray/locking handle you may notice that it feels loose even when locked, you could see there is a gap between the filters foam seal and the cab, in our case with the handle still locked its possible to wiggle the tray and filter out. With the OE unit (Black) this doesn't happen because its foam seal is 2mm thicker!

See here-

And this video shows it in place-

Out of all the filters used in the service (which were all non-OE) the cab filter was the only one to cause a problem, the others we have used many times having been careful to source the best value for money, sadly the orange cab air filter isn't.

EDIT.
    Changed the title as a bit of research shows that this type of air filter fits 9 MF tractor models, If you have the following- 5400,5600,5700,6400,6600,7400,7600,7700,8400 series with an Orange cab air filter element then I would check to see if it seals correctly- I'm not familiar with other models than our 6400's and if other models use different styles of mounting the filter.
    I you have the genuine black-3786649M1 MF/AGCO filter it shouldn't be an issue
    Last edited by Footsfitter; 09-03-17 at 03:34 PM. Reason: More info
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

Re: Beware of poor fitting non-genuine MFcab air filters

How much "less expensive" is this filter from the OE one? Enough to justify having a roll of stick-on weather stripping to make up the 2mm?

The muddy edge of the biggest puddle in the uk

Quote Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
    How much "less expensive" is this filter from the OE one? Enough to justify having a roll of stick-on weather stripping to make up the 2mm?
    Fair enough if you are an owner driver but on the other hand if you are an employer the filter is effectively PPE so you'd be breaking the law by fitting the defective spurious element. Aside from that aspect you'd be breaking the law with regard to provision and use of work equipment(PUWER). I should think this is one instance where ,as an employer, using original part would be fully justified regardless of cost. The manufacturer and supplier of the sub standard replacement ought to be reported to trading standards if it's listed for that model in their catalogue / website..If things got out of hand theoretically you could do time for fitting a filter that didn't protect the employee from dust should they suffer severe lung injury. The HSE have zero tolerance for defective PPE and rightly so, I wouldn't fancy throwing myself on the mercy of an average jury up against their QC on the basis that it was a "cheaper option"

T P - good points!

Quote Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post

Just a tad shy of half price. Shopping around knocked 200 off the 10 filters used total price, knock off 13 for having to use a genuine cab filter now.

All the other filters used on this 1200 hr major service looked physically ok, obviously your unable to see the filter media inside the cans but the hyd elements and suction strainer you can see and all looked the part.

Interestingly the engine air filter is an oval Donaldson design (IIRC) and the OE items bore the same production markings and codes as those used from a leading filter brand in yellow and green packaging.

The Stanadyne Fuel Manager filters used on this and many other tractors now are I think all ex Stanadyne as I assume they have patent rights in place for them. All "own brand" marked filters should be Stanadyne, but I bet that somewhere in China there is someone making them although I haven't come across one yet

Quote Originally Posted by T P View Post
    Fair enough if you are an owner driver but on the other hand if you are an employer the filter is effectively PPE so you'd be breaking the law by fitting the defective spurious element. Aside from that aspect you'd be breaking the law with regard to provision and use of work equipment(PUWER). I should think this is one instance where ,as an employer, using original part would be fully justified regardless of cost. The manufacturer and supplier of the sub standard replacement ought to be reported to trading standards if it's listed for that model in their catalogue / website..If things got out of hand theoretically you could do time for fitting a filter that didn't protect the employee from dust should they suffer severe lung injury. The HSE have zero tolerance for defective PPE and rightly so, I wouldn't fancy throwing myself on the mercy of an average jury up against their QC on the basis that it was a "cheaper option"

This becomes really important if it was a carbon filter and you were using it for spraying- They are listed in the parts lists and it would be imperative that it fitted correctly. Never seen one but assuming that because the genuine standard AGCO filter fits correctly then their carbon offering would as well.

I have had trouble getting genuine filters to seal properly sometimes, I have had to jam a piece of plastic under the handle to make the housing a tighter fit. Also I have had a housing distort once too.

Another way dust can get in is around the seal of the tin roof hatch you remove to service the ac or fan, you have to be really careful to be sure it is seated correctly in the area of the filter or the fan will pull dust in here rather than through the filter.

I'm sure the design could be improved, I didn't seem to get these problems on 3000/6100 series even if the filter was harder to get to.

Quote Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
    I have had trouble getting genuine filters to seal properly sometimes, I have had to jam a piece of plastic under the handle to make the housing a tighter fit. Also I have had a housing distort once too.

Another way dust can get in is around the seal of the tin roof hatch you remove to service the ac or fan, you have to be really careful to be sure it is seated correctly in the area of the filter or the fan will pull dust in here rather than through the filter.

I'm sure the design could be improved, I didn't seem to get these problems on 3000/6100 series even if the filter was harder to get to.

I can only go on the two masseys we have, a 6480 and a 6499 Both take a genuine filter ok with just enough nip of the catch as it goes over centre. The filter together with the carrier are held in place up against the duct. Putting the Orange non-genuine filter in either tractor gives the same result as seen in the video.

The muddy edge of the biggest puddle in the uk

It's bound to be worthwhile pointing this out to the supplier who could get back to the manufacturer as it's likely they would want to address the issue. They can hardly be expected to address an issue unless they are made aware of it. Most companies would want an opportunity to correct a problem like this and it doesn't sound like it would be that hard for them to resolve.

Quote Originally Posted by T P View Post
    It's bound to be worthwhile pointing this out to the supplier who could get back to the manufacturer as it's likely they would want to address the issue. They can hardly be expected to address an issue unless they are made aware of it. Most companies would want an opportunity to correct a problem like this and it doesn't sound like it would be that hard for them to resolve.

I expect thats happening already. I posted in the assumption that the manufacturer of the filter also sells to other distributors- there's a lot of branding that goes on as you will know so hopefully anyone who has been supplied on will be able to check. I has to be handy that there is an easy colour difference between the genuine and this defective non-genuine version.