Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Calving jack recommendations

darrenjlobb

Re: Calving jack recommendations

+1 for the Vink also, would never have a T one again after using this...

beeker

Quote Originally Posted by 4wd View Post
    That's funny I was just getting around to this but intended waiting till after the festive hoo haa so the courier doesn't throw it from the main road.

I can't help thinking the 1.8 metre one is an awful lot more for 20cm of pole.
    Our old one is 1.6m and I can't actually think of a time it proved too short.
    But there were plenty of times a cow was near a wall or something and you wished it was shorter.

http://www.fearing.co.uk/cattle/bree...-calving-jack/

i bought one off my local ag supplier this summer, after my old jack died, but it was only £130 so you might want to shop around to find a better deal

havent used it yet, so cant give a +1 yet or not

Gee

Quote Originally Posted by dearjohn View Post
    Have had one of those "tecnic" square shaft ratchet action one's for almost 20 years. Excellent tool, when equipped with a non slip head on it. If the head is fixed solidly to the shaft, you might find it akward in certin situations, simply because the handle will be to the side, and if the cow is lying near a wall, the handle can be up against the wall. If you can swivel the head, this won't be a problem. Like many others, I bought it because the old round shaft jack let us down one night. My father told me at the time, "same principle as a VW Beetle jack, and that would drop the car on you" Mack in Cavan
    It swivels.
    Put the pressure on take the pressure off.....increase pressure by pushing the shaft down a bit reduce by lifting a bit...
    It works excellently.
    No sub for an easy calving bull and some good pre calving management though.
    Gee

flywheel

+ 1 easy as pi** to use and like everything else you need to know when to use or call t vet, come to think of it when i get vet they use mine if calf needs a pull otherwise its oot the side,

henarar

+1 this thread is a good ad for vink

mf6480

+ me for vink, without a shadow of a doubt, dont plan on using it if i can help it but better to be kitted up for the job than to be stuck, we have the extra long one with the alternating leg pulling action. costs less than the price of a dead calf.....

Wilts

The Vink is a really good example of a well thought out bit of kit, We seem to assist quite a lot of calvings of our black and whites and it means one person can do it gently and help out with the spare hand, with the single bar design it took two and always struggled to keep it at the right angle

our previous round bared one snapped mid calving luckily we still had the really old one that had been hiding from the scrap trailer.. good job!

topdown

Hi,

Vink gets my vote also.

Regards,

Topdown

Dinderleat

Vink +1

turboman

another vote for vink. Had the standard vink though and sold it to a neighbour after 15 years. I replaced it with the longer one because it pulls each leg seperatly rather than the 2 legs at the same time like the standard one, every little helps on a tight calving!

+ 1 After reading this thread last yr, we got a Vink- fantastic. have only used it twice - much better and more easy than the old one that kept slipping off at exactly the wrong moment.

Once you have used one, the others look abit mickey mouse If it's the difference between a dead calf / dead cow or the thing slipping off and hitting the operator in the face the Vink has paid for itself. (12m old store at £800+?!)

Quote Originally Posted by Paw View Post
    I take it vink is quite popular then!
    Yep, Very popular, although I have not used mine in anger for over 2 years with the Lincoln Reds.
    There easy calving like the Angus. Says something for British Breeds!!
    LR

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_TM View Post
    I'll be different!

We use one like this.

Never used a Vink. It looks a bit fiddly to "fit on" ...?

I have one of these too - (Agree never ever slips - Mine has a plastic head as above though) - used a vink too both excellent!

However, pulleys seem to be the way to go, make sure last loop is towards the cow and you can give a very progressive on/off pull with the cows contractions.... I wasn't convinced until having used them a few times!

Vink is great. But if the cow is free just WATCH OUT it can also be dangerous, it doesn’t slip off, so when the cow swings round the vink bar follows at speed !! Can also be a bit awkward and heavy to fit. ( Think both these points have been made before, but take care.)

Use ours all the time, there’s a different one here that is never used.

Just received this special offer by email from Fearing and it made me remember this post! So Sad............

If you need to replace one!

http://www.fearing.co.uk/vink-calving-jack

Quote Originally Posted by GoodEgg View Post
    Just received this special offer by email from Fearing and it made me remember this post! So Sad............

If you need to replace one!

http://www.fearing.co.uk/vink-calving-jack
    Great piece of kit, good spot with the offer too!
    Stay in Northamptonshire - meadowviewcottages.co.uk