Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Mr Mzuri

Andrew Kerr

Re: Mr Mzuri

Quote Originally Posted by Feldspar View Post
    Just wondering how users are getting on with blockages with the Mzuri this year. If the drill does block where do the blockages occur? Does the negative angle of the leading tines encourage or discourage blockages? Do the middle press wheels help in 'treading' bunches of straw back down? No ski paddles which must be a good thing.

I was sitting on a Claydon Hyrid the other day and on meadow ground which was moist there it was blocking fairly frequently. Ground had been straw raked. Having said that our SR has been considerably better so far this year after getting a rake.
    What blockages?
    We are lucky to have dried out quite well here, and have raked stubble so not a problem.Will take a few pics tomorrow

fred

Mzuri results from wheat,

well it shocked me , if as I believe the Mzuri demo field yielded the same if not better than my standard farm practice.

Definitely not lower , which to be honest I thought it would,

I await yield maps.

Feldspar

Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    Mzuri results from wheat,

well it shocked me , if as I believe the Mzuri demo field yielded the same if not better than my standard farm practice.

Definitely not lower , which to be honest I thought it would,

I await yield maps.
    Why the shock? Did the crop not look very promising?

York

I would say that soon the 1st will realise that the drill is not the most important unit for yield. Yes, it's the basic of establishment, but there are some other, at least in my experience, factors which are more of importance.
    So in the end it's more like a colour change in metal
    York-Th.

fred

To be honest no, it hadn't met across the rows and looked thin,

Jim Bullock

A nieghbour has had is rape drilled with a Mzuri...it has done a fantastic job...the field looks level despite his combine being stuck in several places..The drill has removed most of the harvest compaction and has planted the OSR into a really good seedbed...and the press wheels have recompacted the soil around the seed...no need to roll....just one pass!!(I think I might have just become a Claydon/Mzuri convert )

Clive

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bullock View Post
    A nieghbour has had is rape drilled with a Mzuri...it has done a fantastic job...the field looks level despite his combine being stuck in several places..The drill has removed most of the harvest compaction and has planted the OSR into a really good seedbed...and the press wheels have recompacted the soil around the seed...no need to roll....just one pass!!(I think I might have just become a Claydon/Mzuri convert )
    they certainly seem to be a 1 solution fits all type tool so I see the attractions - but both disturb soil creating a stale seed bed at the same time as drilling and need power

To me the ultimate drill stable is a 750a and a Mzuri - all bases covered and chance to save when the 750 can be used, it might just be where I end up

Andrew Kerr

Have drilled all rape direct with our Mzuri, and although i was pleased with the way it went in, i was glad we have double rolled as slugs and moisture conservation have still been problematic due to no rain in Sept until tonight!
    Just hope this helps get it away well.Slug pellets vital this year.

Johndeere

Had my mzuri demo today with thanks to Duncan. Banged the rape in really smartly. Prices are rising sharply though, up ten grand for a four metre in six months as I see it!

Feldspar

Quote Originally Posted by Johndeere View Post
    Had my mzuri demo today with thanks to Duncan. Banged the rape in really smartly. Prices are rising sharply though, up ten grand for a four metre in six months as I see it!
    Ouch. That's quite a percentage rise. I think that may put people off a little or at least take the edge off the enthusiasm. Am I at all correct in thinking that rise takes a 4m Mzuri above the price of a 6m Claydon? If so the attraction of 50% extra width for the same price with roughly the same hp requirements might well sway people on the fence.

Last price quote I saw for a new 4m 750a was 52k I think and that was a couple of years old and there were accompanying complaints about that figure being too high.

Andrew Kerr

A 4m was about 50K at LAMMA, are you saying they are 60K now?

Dont forget that fert option adds a bit to the price.

Johndeere

Sorry got the 4 metre and the 3 metre prices mixed up, 4 metre was 49k now 52k

Feldspar

Sorry got the 4 metre and the 3 metre prices mixed up, 4 metre was 49k now 52k
    That's good news.

Do you mind giving a fuller report of your thoughts on the demo? Any things that were negative or particularly good. If I remember correctly your soils have a reasonably high clay content. How wet was the soil? How deep did the leading tines go? Did they smear and slot in any way? Thanks.

I also had a more general question to existing users about maintenance. What routine maintenance is necessary and how often is it necessary I.e. How much daily greasing is there and how often is metal replaced (this season for example)?

Johndeere

The soil was pretty heavy clay, leading tines at seven inches. Left a really tidy finish with seed placed and covered well despite no harrow. 215 hp valtra on the front of a 3 metre and they were well matched and didn't pull as hard as my trio. If you have ruts this drill won't level them but I did not expect it to anyway. No smearing going on, the field was not that wet either. I think this drill ticks a lot of boxes, subsoil,place fert consolidate, drill and firm again.

Clive

Anyone been establishing crops with Mzuri this year ? wondering how they were coping with conditions ??

I reckon last year and this year are such massive extremes that any drill that does well in 2011 and 2012 must have it right ??