Thread: Manitou boom stuck out

Manitou boom stuck out

Can any one help please
    i have a manitou 732 mt 2007 the boom will not retract when fully extended with a two ton load, I have been told to adjust the relief valve / balance valve, how do I do this and wear is it?
    Last edited by Footsfitter; 17-03-17 at 08:14 PM. Reason: more info in title

Re: Manitou

Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    Can any one help please
    i have a manitou 732 mt 2007 the boom will not retract when fully extended with a two ton load, I have been told to adjust the relief valve / balance valve, how do I do this and wear is it?

We have talk about this already!

Remove the rear cover panel on the machine, look for a valve like this bolted to the back of the extension ram.

Now forget the load for a minute. if you push the boom out a couple of feet with no load on it, then retract the boom is there a long engine laboured delay before the extension starts coming back in? (there will be a slight delay with cold hyd oil but once warmed up that delay should not be noticeable)

if there is a delay then get a 10mm and a 13mm spanner. find the adjuster bolt which is on the right hand side of my picture, slacken the lock nut and loosen the adjuster bolt a turn at a time till the delay is minimal, re tighten the lock nut. (do this with hyd oil at normal operating temp, not cold, and not with a load on the boom)

Its up to you if you grease the boom wear pads or not, personally I don't I think its not necessary and better to run them bone dry on polished shiny metal, but greasing is okay just makes a mess and pads don't last any longer for it.

you could grease in the back of the boom and a bit on the front, don't use wax oil spray that will cause the boom to drag heavy on the pads and not slide nicely and tent to rip the pads out of the fixings as its like a glue. Having old dry grease isn't good either, you either grease little and often polish it all off and run bone dry clean shiny metal.

That said 2 ton at full stretch on a 732 is on its load limit or over it anyway? so not ideal and you could be asking the impossible!

You could also have leaking internal piston seals on the extension ram? or a slightly worn hyd pump not giving full pressure or a fault in the spool block if it has a circuit relief valve in it?

Can any one help please
    That's most helpful. Many thanks

Hi ace
    I followed your instructions and the engine did labour for a couple of seconds before the boom extended so I made the adjustment and that sorted out the problem now working fine. Thanks once again.

Hi ace
    I followed your instructions and the engine did labour for a couple of seconds before the boom extended so I made the adjustment and that sorted out the problem now working fine. Thanks once again.
    Hope you don't mind but I have added a bit more info to your original title so it might crop up when others are looking/searching for this apparently common fault.

footsfitter

BTW Great Grandad Henry was a Hertfordshire-ite back in 1865
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......