Thread: Pig Feed Suggestions

Pig Feed Suggestions

I currently have a small flock of sheep but was asked last week by some locals if I would raise some pigs for them. Direct marketing a small mixed livestock farm is my ultimate aim and so I want to say 'yes, sure'; but it gives me a problem.

I move my ewes twice a week to new pasture and I would really prefer to have the pigs in with the sheep rather than left in one field for ages.

But my sheep are grassfed and I don't want to change that, so, my question is; what can I feed the pigs for their extra protein requirement that the sheep will not eat?

Any help or advice will br much appreciated!

Re: Pig Feed Suggestions

The only solution I can think of is that you leave any dead sheep, not just as a tasty morsel for the pigs
    but as a ready source of protein. That's assuming that the Red Kites don't get there first.

But don't take this as definite advice. You will need to clear it first with everyone else involved, including Trading Standards and the folk supplying the pigs.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthWestConvert View Post
    I currently have a small flock of sheep but was asked last week by some locals if I would raise some pigs for them. Direct marketing a small mixed livestock farm is my ultimate aim and so I want to say 'yes, sure'; but it gives me a problem.

I move my ewes twice a week to new pasture and I would really prefer to have the pigs in with the sheep rather than left in one field for ages.

But my sheep are grassfed and I don't want to change that, so, my question is; what can I feed the pigs for their extra protein requirement that the sheep will not eat?

When I was in my teens we kept pigs in outside huts on clover leys alongside sheep.
    They had to be kept apart at feeding time. I think it might have killed the sheep if they had got hold of the dry pig food in quantity.
    Jack Caley

Anything I had to do with pigs was they were kept separate from other animals - I never around sheep though.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthWestConvert View Post

how do, when you say raise some pigs for them, I take it you mean sell them half/ whole pig etc??
    we keep 12 pigs, buy them as weaners , fatten, then off to the slaughter, house,
    they are all put into a right rough Arse piece of ground with proper decent stock fence round it, they have 2 pig arcs, hey have access to a water trough, and a natural water lie,
    we feed them a rlled barley/wheat/ bean mix twice a day, (same as the beef cattle get) and what ever they get from the ground, as they get fit we put them inside for a week to clean up,
    then it's off to the happy house,,
    i don't think you want to mix them with your sheep because they will wreck the pasture, destroy your fences,, and probably eat the sheep!!
    Also if your gonna start buying proper pig grub, be prepared to to charge for the end product accordingly,, suffice to say by the time you've added up your buy in price, your feed, slaughter and butchery cost,, it can soon make half a pig pricey,,
    best job is to feed them as basically as possible, and keep hoping the stuff at them,, if you can get free "veg waste" introduce that as well, although spuds will need boiling,,
    Big Vern..... Stay low Move faster

You could always buy a Caravaggi mill/mixer to make your own feed, save you a fortune in a year
    Jack Caley

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Caley View Post
    You could always buy a Caravaggi mill/mixer to make your own feed, save you a fortune in a year
    Jack Caley
    We have a bloke comes with a mobile jobby on a lorry

Jack Caley
    Why do I sense some agenda pushing here? 😜

I had thought that whatever I used would have to be meat related so the sheep wouldn't be interested. Feeding meat is illegal and growing my own insects is just not my type of thing!

Result. I don't think it can be done. I have said 'no' to getting pigs this year as have enough on already but next year. Next year!

Thanks for the replies folks.

We once had a ewe - raised as a pet lamb - that nicked the lambing man's ham sandwich out of his hand.

And on some of the Islands off the coast of Scotland, sheep have been fed whole dried fish before lambing for generations. But I don't know if that is still legal.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Vern View Post
    We have a bloke comes with a mobile jobby on a lorry
    Just out of interest, how much a ton do you pay the mobile job by?
    Jack Caley

Just out of interest, how much a ton do you pay the mobile job by?
    Jack Caley
    Would have to check with the boss man, the Miller man supplies the protein pellets, and molasses ,
    we have 12 t done a time, I'm sure I've heard A figure of 500 for a mix visit, but I might be talking sh-- there