Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kit grainstores in the Farmers Weekly

MJB

Kit grainstores in the Farmers Weekly

Anyone had one of these put up?

63,000 for a 50x100 building, 1000t store seems quite cheap. What's the catch?

Matt

David.

Re: Kit grainstores in the Farmers Weekly

Presumably the steelwork is a bit "agricultural".

MJB

Still waiting for the specification to come through but I suspect they aren't the highest spec in the world!

Matt

Derky

Dont skimp on spec of steel on panels. Its surprising the force grain creates and can bend or move posts.

townthornsfarmer

if you mean the BLS ad then don't think there's any catch, good knowledgeable firm to deal with in my experience. had two buildings off them in the last 4 years, one livestock building we put up and one grain shed they helped us put up (very good steel sizes for the size of shed)

Claddex Ltd

Normally, a good guide as to the quality of the product is whether or not the supplier is a RIDBA member.
    Also, a good idea before investing that sort of money would be to ask them if you can visit any buildings they've already put up.

aardvark

The cost of the concrete is a major part of the build cost. Is that included in the 63K?

The labour element and crane hire for this type of work soon adds up if you employ someone to do it so the saving in cost is there if you have the time.

MJB

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    The cost of the concrete is a major part of the build cost. Is that included in the 63K?

The labour element and crane hire for this type of work soon adds up if you employ someone to do it so the saving in cost is there if you have the time.
    Bowie Lockwood Structures of Rugby are quoting 63k for this building all done except any electricity supply to the building and drains to take roof water away from the down pipes!

Matt

Johnny Class

Quote Originally Posted by MJB View Post
    Bowie Lockwood Structures of Rugby are quoting 63k for this building all done except any electricity supply to the building and drains to take roof water away from the down pipes!

Matt
    Having built a store a bit bigger than this last year, 63k seems extremely good value for money.

Badshot

Matt

That really does seem a keen price, the floor is concreted in that price? It actually seems to cheap, I know my floor cost me something like 15k 8 years ago.

MJB

Quote Originally Posted by Badshot View Post
    That really does seem a keen price, the floor is concreted in that price? It actually seems to cheap, I know my floor cost me something like 15k 8 years ago.
    Between 6 and 12" of hard core then 6" of RC25 fibre reinforced power floated. Not the highest spec in the world but to hold wheat........

Matt

David.

I thought BLS were among the better ones, certainly not kit-shed standard.
    Just check the sheets are Eternit quality.
    Used to be a connection with Claddex, I seem to recall, who are as good as gold.

MJB

Quote Originally Posted by David. View Post
    I thought BLS were among the better ones, certainly not kit-shed standard.
    Just check the sheets are Eternit quality.
    Used to be a connection with Claddex, I seem to recall, who are as good as gold.
    Eternit roof, Cumbria concrete wall panels, electric roller door. Seems very a very good shed to me.

Matt

Johnny Class

Eternit roof, Cumbria concrete wall panels, electric roller door. Seems very a very good shed to me.

Matt
    What's the steel spec?

MJB

I'll let you know tomorrow when they email the full spec through. I'm amazed but they seem a genuine company. 63/t seems good value.

Matt

Johnny Class

To be honest when you see the steel work for a shed lying in the yard before erection you wander where the money is!

Derky

concrete at 8 inchs is approx 100 cube. @ 75 7500
    Reinforcing ?
    Tie bars ?
    Power float ?
    sounds cheap cheap cheap thats before we get on the structure, panels, roof, erection, safety nets, cherry picker etc etc etc.

BigW

We had a quote from wareings for a 24m x 27m building i think it was about 55k, panels on top would be another 10k. Probably looking at an erected cost of around 100k. I can check the price if you want.

MJB

Quote Originally Posted by Derky View Post
    concrete at 8 inchs is approx 100 cube. @ 75 7500
    Reinforcing ?
    Tie bars ?
    Power float ?
    sounds cheap cheap cheap thats before we get on the structure, panels, roof, erection, safety nets, cherry picker etc etc etc.
    I agree but that is all included in the price. Except only 6" of concrete. Do I need 8" for grain? The only assumption is a level site to start with, which we have. We are in the arse end of nowhere so the chances of future industrial use are very slim. I need 1000t of storage and would prefer a bin but don't really justify the drying capacity/expense so 63/t seems good value.

Matt

Steevo

I agree but that is all included in the price. Except only 6" of concrete. Do I need 8" for grain? The only assumption is a level site to start with, which we have. We are in the arse end of nowhere so the chances of future industrial use are very slim. I need 1000t of storage and would prefer a bin but don't really justify the drying capacity/expense so 63/t seems good value.

Matt
    Personally I'd go for a stronger mix than an RC25....doubt it would add big money to the final price to get something like an RC40 instead.

Flat floors are much much better than bins - if you get that shed and built it, once you've loaded out of it you'll never want to do it any other way.

MJB

Quote Originally Posted by Steevo View Post
    Personally I'd go for a stronger mix than an RC25....doubt it would add big money to the final price to get something like an RC40 instead.

Flat floors are much much better than bins - if you get that shed and built it, once you've loaded out of it you'll never want to do it any other way.
    We have a 1000t drying bin on another farm loaded via an automatic intake pit, auto drier and stirrer and loaded out through a built in auger and sweep auger. Makes buildings seem hard work to be honest! But we also have a 1000t building with a wooden drying floor which is great but the wooden floor is limiting.

The spec of the building in brief is 305x165x54kg stanchions, 305x102x28kg rafters. Eternit roofing sheets and 0.5mm box profile side cladding. 150mm concrete wall panels from either Cumbria concrete or Millbury concrete to 3m high and for those in the know it is built to BS5502, part 1, section 1.2.

Price includes supplying drawings to the local planning office and planning fee (assuming only requires 28day approval), delivery to site, scraping of topsoil, terram matting, 150mm compacted stone, DPM and 150mm power floated RC35 fibre reinforced concrete. 6mx6m electric roller door and a personel door. All construction equipment and H & S. We have to supply toilets and handwashing facilities and a skip for the rubbish. This is for a 60' x 80' building so a nominal capacity of 900t of wheat. 61,576 + VAT and additional 1,861 if we want it all galvanised. I suspect we may have to provided some extra hardcore as the site is not quite level.

So now I need to know what is missing!

Matt

Andrew Kerr

Matt,

Sent you a PM.

scrambler

I have a quote in front of me for a 36.6m x 12.2m x 6 m to the eaves grain store from M J Barrett.
    Pillars 356 x 171 UB
    Rafters 203 x 133 UB

305 x 165 pillars might be skimping things a bit, or maybe the ones on my quote are over the top?

David.

There is not enough steel in it really, IMO. I imagine it says level fill and not charge fill.
    If it is 100ft long presumably we are on 20ft bays?
    What eaves beams? presumably sleeved and sag barred zed purlins? Are the gable frames the same spec, or lighter still?
    Would be interesting to see how much better spec they can do for another few grand?

doehill

Steelwork

Main Stanchion 406 x 178 x 60 UB
    Main Rafters 356 x 171 x 45 UB
    Gable Columns 356 x 171 x 45 UB
    Stub Posts 203 x 203 x 46 UC
    Door Posts 254 x 146 x 31 UB
    Door Head 150 x 75 x PFC
    Rafter Bracing 70 x 70 x 3.6 RHS
    Vertical Bracing 70 x 70 x 3.6 RHS
    Eaves Beam 150 x 75 PFC

Length: 36576mm (120) in 6 no 6096mm (20) bays
    Span: 19812mm (65) overall stanchions
    Height: 6096mm (20) to eaves
    Bases: 14 no 1800 x 1200 x 750, 7 no 1200 x 900 x 750
    Roof Pitch: 15 degrees

Badshot

Did anyone go through with this? I see they are still advertising in the farmers guide.

It really does seem too cheap.

MJB

Still trying to decide on the ideal location for us. Yes they are basic spec for grainstores but on the other hand that's what we want to use it for.

Matt

Badshot

Am I right in thinking that this building would be just within the size for permitted development under a 28 day notice?
    If so can you do one this year, then another next if you found you needed another building?

doehill

Every two years you can

Badshot

Thanks.