Thread: Ford 550 backhoe help please

Ford 550 backhoe help please

Ok, you might have to bear with me as this is my first post and my first digger! i have bought an old for 500 backhoe/digger, it was running fine but all of a sudden there are no brakes(the handbrake does still work). I think they are wet brakes? if so is this the bolted down plate just infront of the drivers seat? If yes what do i fill it with? thankyou.

Re: Ford 550 backhoe help please

Quote Originally Posted by PHIL550 View Post
    Ok, you might have to bear with me as this is my first post and my first digger! i have bought an old for 500 backhoe/digger, it was running fine but all of a sudden there are no brakes(the handbrake does still work). I think they are wet brakes? if so is this the bolted down plate just infront of the drivers seat? If yes what do i fill it with? thankyou.
    You have 2 different brake systems.

Look at the handbrake lever and follow the cable from it to a round-ish housing on the side of the gearbox- this has a multi plate dry disc setup.

I think you have a pair of pendant brake pedals- hung down from a pivot under the dash? I assume they move ok? but have very long travel? Follow the rods down under the floor and you will see they eventually go into the rear axle trumpet housings- one left and one right. Where the brake rod goes into the rear axle you will see there is a rubber gaiter/boot around the rod and its outer is a metal ring driven into the hole in the axle- make sure these are sound and not leaking oil. On the end of the rod is a clevis pinned to the lever on the brake shaft- in the clevis you will see two 3/4" nuts, one is a locknut the other is a bit different in that it has a ridge round it to stop it pulling thru the clevis. these two nuts are the adjustment for that side brake.

To check the adjustment, jack up the rear wheels just clear of the ground on the digger legs then carefully lay underneath away from wheels so you can slacken the locknut and tighten the ridged nut so you pull the threaded rod further out of the axle, you should find that the brakes start biting when you apply the pedal- the usual setting was 1" min of travel on ordinary tractors with pedals through the floor plate but pendant pedals usually had a bit more travel. The idea is to adjust both brakes independently and then finally slacken off the side which seems to be pulling more so it stops in a straight line when the pedals are locked together.

If you find there is no adjustment left or the brakes seem to screech/grind a lot or there is resistance when pressing the pedal but little or no braking, then it likely you have worn out brake discs.
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

A little tip I learnt from a plant man years ago for working underneath a TLBH. Jack up to the desired height and measure between the foot and the lower frame/rail. Cut a piece of sleeper to fit both sides and lower the jacks jamming in the sleeper off cuts.

Picture may help - rod FF is talking about #10
    Attached Images Attached Images