Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Scanning Results................

jjm

Scanning Results................

How are people getting on this year???

Ours......
    366 Mule Ewes ran with 5 Suffolk tups and 4 Texel tups, all running on SDA non improved grazing.

57 Singles
    247 Doubles
    56 Triplets
    7 Geld
    @196%

Satisfied.
    Swaledale ewes to follow.

Joules

Re: Scanning Results................

Local lowland farmer I do a bit of work for - Jan flock scanned at 221% (50 ewes)

Feb flock scanned at 190% (75 ewes)

Mar/April flocl scanned at 154% (575 ewes):cry:

Very disappointed - he's a very good sheep man. Trying to feed sheep in 2011 on 350mm of rain probably something do to with it.

Clive Tee

Just had our results and hugely disappointed. We had no grass at tupping and everything I did to help seems not to have worked :cry:

Shearllngs 124%
    Ewes 163%

And these are prolific Lleyns! We usually hit 200%+ with the ewes and 150%+ for shearlings.

This year, only 16 triples (normally would expect 100) and no quads or more. That's a first for us. Just hope we can hit the earlier prices with all the singles.

Sh3pherdess

Scanning on the place I contract for, 80 Mules to the Beltex (half are first lambers) and 60 draft Blackie ewes in lamb to the BFL.

202% over all, which I thought was very good. Got triplets in the Blackies one set of quads in the Mules and only one yeld of each breed. The yeld blackie was a 2 shear so expect she didn't breed last year and that's why she was in with the draft ewes.

Scanning mine next month.

daisysdad

suff x nc mule yearlings 200%
    Jacobs 181%

overall 186%

Should probably add 4 yearlings and 11 Jacobs
    Jacobs all bought out of the killers this autumn for my daughter so delighted. Yearlings going to Hereford tomorrow.

orkneyboy21

When is best to scan ewes? I put tups in with ewes on 26th November.

Have never actually scanned before, have always just seperated thinner ewes and fed them accordingly, but I lost a few triplet lambs born outside to birds last spring so want to get those ewes inside this year.

olly

900 ewes lambing early march last year 193%, this year 187% we suffered in the dry summer ive heard of some shockin scanning results in this area compared to a normal year not enough grass about

Poorbuthappy

Quote Originally Posted by orkneyboy21 View Post

Have never actually scanned before, have always just seperated thinner ewes and fed them accordingly, but I lost a few triplet lambs born outside to birds last spring so want to get those ewes inside this year.
    Scan around early Feb for that timing I would say. Do you take your rams out? My scanner says he can pick them up at 3-4 weeks, but I prefer a bit longer, he seems to miss a few of the late ones if only 3 weeks after rams out. But leave it too late and its harder to pick up multiples.

NZDan will be on in a bit perhaps, maybe you can tempt him to a trip up your way!

toasty

Scanned main flock last week, mainly mules, txmules av 196%, happy with that after having little grass last summer/autumn.

NeilO

80-90 days after tups went in normally.

NeilO

100 Dec lambing Charollais scanned at 207%.
    130 Feb lambing Charollais scanned at 180%, including 30 ewe lambs.

Happy with both those, especially considering the drought.

April lambers a while off scanning yet, but look to have gained condition well over tupping (needed to) thanks to Chrystalix blocks, so I'd be surprised if they're too bad.

Frances

Quote Originally Posted by NeilO View Post
    April lambers a while off scanning yet, but look to have gained condition well over tupping (needed to) thanks to Chrystalix blocks, so I'd be surprised if they're too bad.
    Do you keep the crystalix with them all the way through from tupping? What would intakes/costs be like if you don't mind me asking

gone up the hill

Never bother to scan ( perhaps i should ) but we have had the most lambs ever this year so far, 70 dec lambers

: doubles= 67
    : singles = 2
    : triplets = 1

Touch wood only lost one lamb from them all the way thru lambing untill now..

Jan lambers out of 52 lambed so far but the
    others look very heavy in lamb..

So far:

Doubles =44
    Singles = 4
    Triplets = 4

Lost 3 lambs out of them so far..

No idea why its going so well at this point as we normally average around 160/165% out the shed but this year we have had too even cut the cake back as the lambs are coming out a fair size..

Only two things different this year is we used DB tupping buckets for the first time ( not cheap.. ) and the ewes have had 30 acres of 2nd cut silage grass we had to write off as it was to wet to cut it in oct.. ( but defo gone over for the sheep ) Didnt have any grass either when tupping as it was so dry in the spring a lot of fields were set aside for late first cut!!

Around here it seems this year some people are having amazing %s born and others ( for no apparent reason ) have had the worst %s born..

NeilO

Quote Originally Posted by Frances View Post
    Do you keep the crystalix with them all the way through from tupping? What would intakes/costs be like if you don't mind me asking
    Can anyone afford to do that? Shearlngs were a bit thin running up to tipping, most having reared lambs, so they had an 80kg Chrystalix block between 130 of them from 3 weeks pre-tupping. The grass here grew late on, so they had some to go at in the end, and the second block saw tupping out and is almost finished now (300 got access to it now). It did a good job of boosting nutrition cheaply over tupping, without disturbing them with bagged feed.

Ewe lambs will probably have access to Chrytalix right through, to keep them growing on steadily, but don't expect them to take much at all once they get on turnips.

him

scanned last night about 9 oclock

9 empty
    30 singles
    24 twins
    4 triplets
    143% i think is what he said

sounds bad but that has about 9 ewe lambs in it and there was two ram lambs running with two batches of 17 they were switched at three weeks and out 7 in total, no raddle firest three weeks, and then orange, say about third repeated, mature ram to rest about 2 repeats.

happy enogh as im still have some age ewes that could need dentures but we cull what ewes arent in lamb and give the lambs a chance, we tup the lambs as we find they lamb easier next year and you have a better chance of seeing if they have mothering ability, if not they go.

Creedmoor1

I wouldn't accept those results without looking deeper, him! That's over 13% dries when there should be next to none in a healthy small flock unless you mated out of season. Even if, say, 5 of the 9 were ewe lambs, it would still be 7% empty ewes.

Lack of teeth never stopped a ewe getting pregnant, only poor condition if she can't eat. A healthy ewe has to be damned skinny to fail completely and you'd know if they were that bad.

If you write off the result then you might be disappointed again next year. Off the top of my head I'd start with:
    • selenium - hugely important for fertility; check with the vet whether it's a local problem
    • brucellosis in the rams - one third returning is much too high; ram lambs should be reliably fertile if well grown so there is something wrong there. Palpate all the rams and look for lumps, different size balls, queer texture, then blood test if you find anything odd
    Good luck!

him

ewes and lambs all done with liguidrive, never heard of brusilloses in sheep before, tups all seem fine only thing that allows me to think those results are all right is the two ram lambs and there were a batch put to rented land for the tuping season, lets just say ill never be back there with tups, worst ground i ever had. at it none of the ewes seem to tup thats why i changed the ram lambs, older ram withbiggest batch went to most ground, but changing the rams diidnt seem to help. only noticed this yesterday when i went for a proper look and a few famolliar ewes that id sent there werent in lamb, at best guess id say no twins from that ground atall, after tups changed the other tup picked up a few repeats and they have twins even the lambs but it was on our own ground.

the llyen that spent the final four weeks on the rented ground died the next week, well fleshed wormede fluked vacinated-heptavac, so id say probly something in the ground affected them, man runs mostly 20 horned ewes himself with a rouge tup, through two dorsets he bought in with the llyen and they didnt tup either.

you live and learn, if you take out the 3 ewes from that batch and 4 lambs that didnt tup, then they look abit better, no one round here tups with ram lambs of tups ewelambs, i dont expect the rams to do much the first year put they normally give what i expect, ewe lambs in lamb first year seem to give less hassle the next year. yes worst results for a while but looking at it afterwrds i think i see what not to do next year.

Creedmoor1

That detail helps a lot. Not familiar with any problem "in the ground that should affect performance but you guys could easily have diseases or contamination issues that we are lucky enough to miss in NZ. Brucellosis is major reason for epididymitis and infertility in Kiwi sheep flocks and often undetected but maybe you don't have this one.

Just wanted to be sure you had looked at your reasons critically. So many farmers write problems off as "just the season" around here... Funny but they always seem to be having a bad one.

Absolutely agree with lambing hoggets for easy management thereafter. Having had a lactation and developed their udders also puts them in much better situation to rear twins or more. Several two tooths reared triplets this year; wouldn't have had a hope if they hadn't lambed as hoggets. Saved me a job and a lot of milk powder .

NZDan

Quote Originally Posted by Poorbuthappy View Post
    Scan around early Feb for that timing I would say. Do you take your rams out? My scanner says he can pick them up at 3-4 weeks, but I prefer a bit longer, he seems to miss a few of the late ones if only 3 weeks after rams out. But leave it too late and its harder to pick up multiples.

NZDan will be on in a bit perhaps, maybe you can tempt him to a trip up your way!
    Maybe he could.

26th November would see me scanning them late Feb.
    Individual ewes will show up pregnant as early as 4 weeks. But the odd ewe won't show up till 8 weeks. But its the only the odd ewe at either extreme.

him

Quote Originally Posted by him View Post
    scanned last night about 9 oclock

9 empty
    30 singles
    24 twins
    4 triplets
    143% i think is what he said

sounds bad but that has about 9 ewe lambs in it and there was two ram lambs running with two batches of 17 they were switched at three weeks and out 7 in total, no raddle firest three weeks, and then orange, say about third repeated, mature ram to rest about 2 repeats.

happy enogh as im still have some age ewes that could need dentures but we cull what ewes arent in lamb and give the lambs a chance, we tup the lambs as we find they lamb easier next year and you have a better chance of seeing if they have mothering ability, if not they go.

should have been

24 singles
    30 twins

but i still looked at the performance of all groups small as the flock might be small differences make a big impact, ground is the only common factor. i have had it for a few weeks last year as a run for a few fats that i wanted to hold on to withdrawel dates where up, didnt bother looking to see if they fleshed any more, it had good coverage of grass both times but this time they didnt like to eat it, if you understand me, i thought it would only last 5 weeks but after 7 it wasnt real bare.

scan man said last year id only have 2 triplets, i had 4 sets in 24hrs and that doesnt include the 2 he said! but as long as i dont have to keep empty ewes ill not complain about him.

wr

250 sufX Feb lambers @179%
    1350 main lambers incl. 800 welsh ewes @162%
    A few more empties than we'd rather but they've gone to mart.

Frances

Quote Originally Posted by wr View Post
    250 sufX Feb lambers @179%
    1350 main lambers incl. 800 welsh ewes @162%
    A few more empties than we'd rather but they've gone to mart.
    Sounds like a good result. What type are the Welsh ewes? Are the rest Mules?

I'm scanning our first batch of ewes next weekend (200) - remaining 600 ewes to be scanned early Feb for April lambing. Always a stressful day

TexelBurger

178% ,our lowest for about 10 years,was very dry at tupping with very little grass.

Marches Farmer

Quote Originally Posted by TexelBurger View Post
    178% ,our lowest for about 10 years,was very dry at tupping with very little grass.
    Here too. Southdowns were 184% which I was quite pleased with, considering a quarter were first-timers. Lleyns running with a Southdown were 200%. Thinking about it, very pleased as both Southdown tups
    were in for only 21 days and sold straight on to 70 Scotch Mules apiece in the Cotswolds.

Big disappointment was the little flock of 9 Badger Face as the show quality hired tup must've been sub-fertile - five with singles, four empty! I let the owner know as the tup was going on to a much larger flock of BF's. That could be an embarassing conversation!

Gee

Quote Originally Posted by Marches Farmer View Post
    Here too. Southdowns were 184% which I was quite pleased with, considering a quarter were first-timers. Lleyns running with a Southdown were 200%. Thinking about it, very pleased as both Southdown tups
    were in for only 21 days and sold straight on to 70 Scotch Mules apiece in the Cotswolds.

Big disappointment was the little flock of 9 Badger Face as the show quality[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE] hired tup must've been sub-fertile - five with singles, four empty! I let the owner know as the tup was going on to a much larger flock of BF's. That could be an embarassing conversation!
    Pity fertility wasn't a show criteria!

wr

Quote Originally Posted by Frances View Post
    Sounds like a good result. What type are the Welsh ewes? Are the rest Mules?

I'm scanning our first batch of ewes next weekend (200) - remaining 600 ewes to be scanned early Feb for April lambing. Always a stressful day
    Talybont type welsh and the rest are Suf X and Tex X welsh

hell4leather

210 x ewes scanned 4 empty , *31 singles , 106 twins , 67 triplets , 2 quads / 215%*alot of work with triplets , but better the numbers being there than not

clover

3% empty
    18% single
    64% twin
    15% triplet

Happy enough really.A few more empty than usual.A few more twins and a few less singles would have been nice,but not too bad.

ds158

Scanning results today.

Blackface to BFL:
    3% eild, 25% singles, 63% twins and 9% triplets. 179% overall out of 628 ewes.

Scotch Mule ewes (odd texel X):
    1% eild (1 texel X), 6% singles, 50% twins, 41% triplets, 2% quads:cry: (2 ewes), 1% quins:cry::cry: (1 ewe). 239% overall out of 118 ewes.

Scotch Mule hogs:
    21% eild, 34% singles, 45% twins. 124% overall out of 29 hogs.

Thankfully no triplets in the hogs.

EJS

suffolk/mule to texel, early march lambing
    170% overall (25% tegs)
    only 1% barren in ewes and 1% in tegs which am happy about.